• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes US Optics Spotting Scopes

pdt1793db

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
I am interested in buying one of these for use in high power matches. I have tried finding info and articles online and other forums. Let me know what you guys think is it worth the money thanks.

Re: US Optics Spotting Scopes

The reviews havent been so great on them, the main compalint is that it has a long eye releif much like a regular scope. But USO has stated that it was done this way to allow it to be used even when wearing a gas mask. But like any USO, its though as hell.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The reviews havent been so great on them, the main compalint is that it has a long eye releif much like a regular scope. But USO has stated that it was done this way to allow it to be used even when wearing a gas mask. But like any USO, its though as hell. </div></div>

That sounds like a good thing to me. The ultra short eye relief of spotting scopes has always irritated the hell out of me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdt1793db</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in buying one of these for use in high power matches. I have tried finding info and articles online and other forums. Let me know what you guys think is it worth the money thanks. </div></div>

If you are looking at a scope for High Power I would recomend you look at Vortex Razor. Think you will be hard pressed to do better that that for the options, price, and warranty.

(Copied from my response to the OP's Equipment section post)
Here is my two cents on the USO spotter. I personally like it, I wear glasses and the eye relief is appreciated, albeit a wee bit tough to get used to. It for all intents and purposes is a turret-less rifle scope. The reticle choices are great, I have a Mil based reticle in mine to aid in follow up shots, especially since I have Mil based reticles in my other USO scopes on my .308 and .22lr trainer. The glass is ok for what it was designed to do field spot, it is by no means a Zeiss Spotter 60. I have been able to call hits on steel out to about 600 yds with it, but as far as seeing holes, 300 was my max at seeing holes (mainly cuz the mirage was not too bad)
So I guess to sum it all up, I like mine because its tough as hell, backed by a great company, has a mil based reticle, and I like the eye relief.

Hope this helps

AS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdt1793db</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am interested in buying one of these for use in high power matches..... </div></div>

There's a reason that on the line at any HP match the Kowa 821 dominates. For highpower matches you need a scope that you can look at your target when it comes back up without breaking your position, you don't need a field scope with a reticle.

As with all tools, the job will be more satisfying if the correct one is chosen for the intended job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Play with one before you buy.

Glass ain't bad, but make sure it does what you want it to do. </div></div>
Why do you say this? I'm also looking at a USO scope, and I want to make sure it's not going to, well, suck.

What length of eye relief are we looking at with this thing?
And how would it compare in clarity to the Vortex?

The glass in my both my USO scopes is clear and I have had no issues with either. I have had no trouble with my SN-3 out to 1000yds. I think RC was commenting on making sure that it will suit his needs. Try before you buy is always a good thing
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdt1793db</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Vortex Razor does look interesting. I did just find that they offer a ranging reticle does this work well? </div></div>

I have used both the Kowa and the Vortex. Both are capable of using them equally well in a High Power across the course or positional shooting. I would compare the Vortex Razor to the Kowa Proimar (the 821’s big brother) for a fair amount less. If you are looking at using the ranging reticle you will have to have the scope level and plumb otherwise the reticle would be canted (same for any other ranging reticle).

Not sure where you live or where you frequent. You would be more than welcome to take a look and come out to shoot any time you are in Vegas.

With regards to the US Optics it is a great scope for a field scope (have owned one). It is not truly designed to be a High Power shooting scope though. It shines when you are not on a square range and in crappy conditions. The Vortex or the Kowa would be very difficult to field in a reasonable sized kit if you had to bring it out.

These are observations and experiences, YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

With regards to the US Optics it is a great scope for a field scope (have owned one). It is not truly designed to be a High Power shooting scope though. It shines when you are not on a square range and in crappy conditions. The Vortex or the Kowa would be very difficult to field in a reasonable sized kit if you had to bring it out.

</div></div>
How does the USO compare to the Vortex?
Also, what do you mean by "it shines"? I was wondering if you could expand on that a little bit more please? I'm eager to learn about that scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>
How does the USO compare to the Vortex?
Also, what do you mean by "it shines"? I was wondering if you could expand on that a little bit more please? I'm eager to learn about that scope. </div></div>

Vortex Razor vs. US Optics would be the right tool for the right application. Trying to say you are comparing apples and pineapples

Have gone to classes that incorporate a shooter/spotter stalk and truly developing a FFP, all the time the instructor is looking for you on glass. The Vortex Razor is a full size spotter. If you are in the weeds the scope can very easily be set up on a ruck or a small bipod to range and dope for the target without having to expose yourself.

would the Vortex Razor compare to the Kowa Proimar. I plan to initially use this for 600 yard matches. But for would like it to be useful for 1000 yard matches later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pdt1793db</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would the Vortex Razor compare to the Kowa Proimar. I plan to initially use this for 600 yard matches. But for would like it to be useful for 1000 yard matches later. </div></div>

I would recomend a call to Scott at Liberty in that he sells both. That being said, I would say yes the Razor does and more.

Bought one of the USO's when they first came out and I'm still using it for all my shooting needs. Been used in F-class both 600 and 1000 yd., precision rifle matches, DMR match, unknown distance steel, and any practice session.
I wear glasses so the extended eye relief is appreciated, there is a period of adjustment for new users. Most of the people who have looked through mine comment on the quality and ease of spotting trace.
Most challenging use was spotting for 1760 yd. shots using a 338LM, reticle made it pretty easy to get on quickly.
For strictly hi-power, known distance f-class, or any square range shooting an angled eye piece scope might better serve you.

I got my USO last weekend and have not had a chance to use it for it's intended purpose yet. Got the GAP MIL reticle so a spotter could call shots. Did notice that there is alot of Chromatic Abberration (C.A.) under certain circumstances at higher powers (is this normal for these?). I can best describe C.A. as a purplish outline or "Halo" around an object. Didn't get this to go "Birdwatching" so true color rendition is not crucial (but would be nice). Since I live in PHX AZ (and proud of it) when using any scope, image at high power suffers from mirage (and the "Brown Cloud") so I'm not the one to critique clarity at distance just yet. Do like the size and weight, very compact for a Tac-type spotter. Did get the ARD/Sunshade and did notice a difference (increase) in brightness without. YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hStiglitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got my USO last weekend and have not had a chance to use it for it's intended purpose yet. Got the GAP MIL reticle so a spotter could call shots. Did notice that there is alot of Chromatic Abberration (C.A.) under certain circumstances at higher powers (is this normal for these?). I can best describe C.A. as a purplish outline or "Halo" around an object. Didn't get this to go "Birdwatching" so true color rendition is not crucial (but would be nice). Since I live in PHX AZ (and proud of it) when using any scope, image at high power suffers from mirage (and the "Brown Cloud") so I'm not the one to critique clarity at distance just yet. Do like the size and weight, very compact for a Tac-type spotter. Did get the ARD/Sunshade and did notice a difference (increase) in brightness without. YMMV </div></div>

I spoke with USO at length about the CA issues a couple of years back when I bought my spotter (subsequently sold it). Bottom line, the CA is an unavoidable product of the long eye relief and was not considered a critical issue for the scope's intended role.

As I run the GAP reticle in my scopes I have found I like the USO spotter ... same as my scopes and easy to call adjustments with. I kind of like the longer eye relief ... don't bump the scope with shooting glasses on etc. Fine tuning the AO with anything but a stout tripod is a PITA. All in all its a BIG improvement from the Bushnell I used to use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Play with one before you buy.

Glass ain't bad, but make sure it does what you want it to do. </div></div>
Why do you say this? I'm also looking at a USO scope, and I want to make sure it's not going to, well, suck.

What length of eye relief are we looking at with this thing?
And how would it compare in clarity to the Vortex? </div></div>

I owned one for a few months, didn't like the eye relief (personal preference) and hated the CA.

For a field scope, the spotter is great in its zoom range.

Since most of my spotting is now from a stationary position or on the range, I now shoot the Vortex Razor and like it (for my purposes) much, much more.

After playing around with mine, I've noticed that the C.A. will subside if you have exact eye relief and perfect centering of you eye in the ocular (practice and precision). My next objective is to free up the extremely stiff feel of the parallax ring (maybe IF I leave it out in the sun and turn it to spread the grease???).