• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Used Rifle - borescope. What am I looking at here?

Frgood

One Sec.
Supporter
Minuteman
May 7, 2019
Apopka, FL (Orlando area)
I just picked up this used Savage F/TR .308 and decided to take a couple of pix. I want your review of the condition of this barrel.

WIN_20240826_12_13_14_Pro.jpg
WIN_20240826_12_12_51_Pro.jpg
WIN_20240826_12_12_58_Pro.jpg

Those are chatter marks from the button rifling process as mentioned above.

I had a savage precision carbine 20” 308 that looked the same. Was an honest 3/4 moa gun at 100. You could see the chatter marks just looking with your naked eye.

That rifle didn’t like to be cleaned. Took about 20 rounds to settle back in after cleaning to bare metal. Just a bore snake worked best on mine

This is a fluke group of 3 shots at 100 yards while load testing. It wasn’t this accurate but it impressed some guys at the range for sure
7AC12A3F-1D7C-4388-91AC-9E83061ADFAD.jpeg

sometimes bore scopes are like a boat ....2 happiest days are the first when ya bought it the 2nd when ya sell it
I use one every day to inspect the chambers I cut. I use one just about every time I clean and too keep an eye on the fire cracking.
Occasionally when I need to lap a barrel I use one to see if I have the finish I want on the bore.

Reactions: AllenOne1
I use one every day to inspect the chambers I cut. I use one just about every time I clean and too keep an eye on the fire cracking.
Occasionally when I need to lap a barrel I use one to see if I have the finish I want on the bore.
the key word........sometimes is at the very start of the reply and ........sometimes people who use it everyday do not know what they are looking at

Reactions: FisherT&C