• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

using Hornady OAL gauge question

p5200

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
poplar bluff mo.
When pushing the bullet to find the lands on my Savage 10fp .223, I feel it hit against something but if I push a little harder, it pops through all at once and goes to another final stop. Should I go by the first contact point I feel or, the second and final stop to get my OAL measurement. The bore and chamber were cleaned good before measurements were taken. Thanks!
smile.gif

Re: using Hornady OAL gauge question

Have you tried the old 'black sharpie on the ogive and look for rifling marks' method? That should point you in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p5200</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When pushing the bullet to find the lands on my Savage 10fp .223, I feel it hit against something but if I push a little harder, it pops through all at once and goes to another final stop. Should I go by the first contact point I feel or, the second and final stop to get my OAL measurement. The bore and chamber were cleaned good before measurements were taken. Thanks!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I haven't tried the Sharpie method yet. I used the first lightly felt contact point then tightened the thumb screw, and took that measurement using the bullet comparator and caliper. Thanks!
smile.gif

p5200 try this.

Put your projectile of choice in the hornady brass shell and chamber the round using the OAL tool.

Slowly point the muzzle down towards the ground and gravity will gently pull the projectile into the lands. Allow the grey plastic rod to fall against the projectile but try not to push down on it. Lock it down and tap butt on floor to dislodge the projectile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p5200</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When pushing the bullet to find the lands on my Savage 10fp .223, I feel it hit against something but if I push a little harder, it pops through all at once and goes to another final stop. Should I go by the first contact point I feel or, the second and final stop to get my OAL measurement. The bore and chamber were cleaned good before measurements were taken. Thanks!
smile.gif
</div></div>

I take 3 or 5 bullets from a box. I'll insert my OAL modified gage and take a reading to the lands with it orientated at the 12:00 clock position relative to the thumbscrew on the tool. I'll record this. I'll then insert the same bullet into the tool and place the thumbscrew at the 9:00 clock position (relative to the action/ejection port) and measure, recording it. Finally, I'll place the screw at the 3:00 position and measure to the lands.

I'll take those three measurements and average them out, getting a single number. I'll repeat this for another 2 or 4 bullets, then I'll average those 3 or 5 averaged measurements, together and get a final number which I'll run with.

The tool takes a little bit of finesse and one can get false measuremnts, as you're seeing. One needs to nudge the bullet against the lands, but not cram it in there, either. Campher and deburr the modified case mouth(s) so you get a slick movement of the bullet, into/out of that case mouth. This will ease in measuring.

Chris

" I feel it hit against something but if I push a little harder, it pops through all at once and goes to another final stop."

Depending on how far down you start your bullets it's entirely possible your first "stop" is when the ogive passes a burr in the mouth of your test case.

Are you measuring with a bullet that has a cannuler?

I dislike the Hornady system as it is prone to give false readings. I'm much more comfortable with a 1X fired case that has been "neck bumped" and a sharpie. Not very hard to find the lands in that manner and then seat to engrave. Then back out as far as you desire for best effect.

Cheers,

Doc

As suggested already, try cleaning/deburring the mouth of your modified case for a smoother slide. I always use a cleaning rod with a flat front brass jag from the muzzle end and very gently work the bullet back n' forth with the cleaning rod and the set rod in the gauge - you will soon get the feel for it and get very consistant, accurate readings. Just takes a little practice to feel when the bullet just hits the lands. A wooden dowel instead of the cleaning rod if you're too worried about putting a metal rod in from the muzzle. I used the Sharpie method for years before I bought my Stoney Point outfit about 10 years ago, I like the gauge better. Have had to make a couple of my own modified cases - Hornady customer service really sucks in my experience of trying to get the cases ordered as well as the couple of headspace inserts I've been wanting made.