Using Sweets 7.62 and removing from barrel

psmith

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
Ann Arbor
Figured I might get some good advice on this. I just got my first build finished in 308. Ended up with a Bartlein 5R M40, etc. While I totally subscribe to the only clean when necessary school, I do believe in a short break in time.

I have been using Sweets 7.62 to remove the copper fouling for the first few (shoot one, clean shoot one).

Do I have to do anything to remove the ammonia from the barrel? I've been swabbing with isopropyl alcohol and then a good oil but is there a better way when I use a cleaner like sweets.

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Using Sweets 7.62 and removing from barrel

Just really patch the crap out of it and you should be fine. Make sure the patches are pretty tight in there. Not tight enough you have to bang the cleaning rod down the barrel but enough to get a good seal to get that stuff out of there.

Plus, any remainder will be gone after the first shot. If you're going to clean and store, you can even put something else down the bore to store it.

+1 for what Mike recommends. I used Shooters Choice for carbon with a bronze brush and then Sweets to remove the copper for years.

As a suggestion, When you finish the last of Sweets, try BoreTech Eliminator instead as works just as good or better, doesn't smell and you can leave it in the barrel overnight. No need to use a separate carbon solvent either.

What Mike said.

I use gun slick foam on my Kreiger barrels. I only leave in for 10-15 min for a real good cleaning. I dont think it has all the ammonia that sweets has. When I store, it gets a patch of oil down the tube.

Gunslick is a tad expensive, $13.00, I really like it. JMO

Whenever I need a new Barrel I use Sweets to speed up the distruction on my current barrel.
smile.gif

+1 on Mike's reply. Also, if you're unsure about a proper patch seal, wrap a small portion of paper towel around the muzzle of the barrel and slide a water bottle over the end. If the patch seal is correct, you should be able to see the bottle expand and contract. If the seal is tight enough, you will be able to hear the pressure from the bottle trying to bubble (for lack of a better term) the solvent from around the patch.

I've used sweets for awhile now and I really like it. Get all of the fouling out with the sweets, run some dry patches, then run a patch with your choice of oil. Wipe down everything with a rust preventitive cloth and your gtg. Just my 0.02...

any body using any of the spay foam cleaners,ive been a convert to wipe out for awile now.spray it in tip it up let it set overnight 4 or 5 patches and done.

I use wipe out too.

Only caution is a it isn't as lubricating as they tend to lead you to believe. If using wipeout on chromoly, make sure to use a lubricant to prevent rust.

KG copper remover works very well also and no heavy chemical odor. Ive tried their whole product line and have been very pleased. I like the carbon remover the most.

I use Sweets if my patch with Butch's Bore Shine shows more copper than normal. I run a couple patches with Sweet's through and let it sit a few minutes. To clean it out I use hydrogen peroxide. It reacts with Sweets and makes a bubbly foam, so you can tell when all the Sweets is out. A few patches with peroxide, a couple dry patches, and a pass with Kroil and I'm done.

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kevlars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whenever I need a new Barrel I use Sweets to speed up the distruction on my current barrel.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Then you are not using it correctly Kelvars.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gizzmo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've watched AMU shooters using Hydrogen Peroxide after the Sweets to neutralize it </div></div>
643582.jpg

I've used Sweets 7.62 for years and never had a problem with it. It cleans very well getting out the carbon and copper. When finished I use a few dry patches, followed by Butch's Gun Oil to neutralize and remove any remaining solvent. It works like a champ!
141281.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll try some of Butch's products next. I only got the sweets since I knew that I was going to have to get some copper out initially. This is my first 'real' barrel so I want to take care of it.

what I do after I've cleaned is run 1 dry patch to remove most of the solvent, then run a wet patch of either alcohol or peroxide down the barrel followed by 2 dry patches, then if you going to stick it away, put a wet patch of oil down it. If you're going to shoot again, your ready to go after your 2 dry patches.

xdeano

If you want to neutralise sweets in the barrel, just use your favourite gun oil, I use Hoppes number 9. Put a few patches through to clean out the Sweets then follow through with the gun oil. I've been using this process for many years and no problems.
Hope this helps.

I usually just use patches then some hopes 9 then 100% IPA (isopropyl alcohol). Once the bore is squeaky dry I use a bore mop caked with HBN and then I run it down the bore a few times. I then wipe the chamber and then I am done.

Here are the steps:

1. Sweets with a liberal application on the patch (let soak
for 5 min).
2. Nylon brush and stroke for 5 min.
3. Dry patch on a jag (depending on the make of barrel three
or four should do the trick).
4. Wet patch with Kroil or other quality gun oil.
5. Drink beer and watch ball game.

I like Whipe-Out too. I just spray in the barrel as I'm packing up to leave the range and then brush and patch the rifle the next day. Always use a bore guide and don't clean too often! I'm cleaning about every 500 to 700 rounds and some would say that's too often.

I use Sweet's when I'm in a hurry. Like I used the gun today in a match and have to shoot again tomorrow.

I use no brushes! Haven't since the late 80's.

One wet patch after another with Sweet's until they come out clean. Dry patch bore and chamber completely. The I get a patch soaked with Rem. 40x bore cleaner (use to be called Rem. bore cleaner and before that it was Gold Medallion) take that one wet patch of Rem. bore cleaner and stroke the barrel 10x. Dry patch bore and chamber completely. This will remove and stubborn carbon build up and remove any trace of any left over Sweet's. The I give the bore a light coat of Hoppe's No. 9. This will protect as good as any oil. Dry patch this out before shooting.

Most guys where making similar comments.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Frank Green</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Sweet's when I'm in a hurry. Like I used the gun today in a match and have to shoot again tomorrow.</div></div>

Why clean it if it's still shooting well? I go hundreds of rounds between cleanings. As long as it still shoots to call, I leave it alone. If it's been a while, I will clean it before an important match so I have time to put some rounds through it before the match, but only if it's been a while. I've been told guys on the US F-Class team don't clean for the entire Nationals, or World's in Bisley.
Since it usually take a while for the barrel to settle/refoul/whatever, why would you start a match with a barrel that needs rounds through it before it's at it's best?

1911fan

Why? Depends on what the caliber the barrel is chambered in for starters ( a .308 win. chambered gun vs an F-Class rifle in a hot 7mm that the guy is pushing bullets over 3200fps you can notice a difference in the amount of rounds you can shoot in between cleanings. Also depends on how many rounds are thru the barrel is another factor. Also some powders are more abrasive than others is another factor. Same with different lots of bullets from even the same manufacturer. Some lots can copper foul more than others. The copper jacket material can vary from lot to lot.

As barrels start to get a lot of rounds thru them they might need more cleaning vs. when they we're new etc....as the barrels starts to wear usually you see fouling go up and you might not get as many rounds thru the barrel and accuracy starts to fall off etc...what I'm saying here is lets say you could put 300 rounds thru your .308win. before you noticed it needed cleaning or had any accuracy issues now that the barrel has lets say 5000 rounds on it you notice you cannot get anymore than a 100 rounds thru it before accuracy is effected.

Look to see what the gun is telling you and what it likes more than anything else. There are a lot of variables involved.

I shoot it, I clean it. That's just me. I have shot a gun didn't put a lot of rounds thru it and won't clean it if I'm shooting it again tomorrow etc.....Also some of my chrome moly barreled guns I don't want the bores sitting around dry after shooting. I don't want a moisture issue causing any pitting or rusting in my bore. Why do I use some c.m. barrels on my guns and not s.s. you say? Some of my guns have s.s. some don't. Depends on what the gun is and how I want it built and what I'm using it for etc...my choice.

It's like you driving your car. How you want to take care of it is up to you. How often you change the oil and what type of oil you use is up to you etc....but you have to change the oil at some point in time. Same with the air filter. A guy driving his car in a desert type environment vs. a guy who doesn't will need to change the air filter sooner than the other guy.

Look to see what the gun is telling you and take care of it.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I've developed a similar process to tman's. I had read so much stuff on Sweets that I was scared to use it. I figured I would need something agressive while breaking in the barrel. Seems to be working great so far.

I just got a 21 inch 7.5 custom tube on my AR confirmed rifle. I have had a few other cut rifled barrels on bolt actions and really never spent a lot of time or effort braking in the barrels and all shot better than I. This time I am going to follow my instructions.

I was advised shoot one uses hoppes #9, follow with sweets 7.62 with each shot for 10 shots. It seems excessive to me but since he’s built barrels for a long time and apprenticed with Boots I am going to follow instructions, for once. I am hoping for good things from this barrel. I don’t shoot competitive want to hunt deer, maybe dogs call dogs or wolf with this. After I get it dialed in I’ll post results.

I just got a 21 inch 7.5 custom tube on my AR configured rifle. I have had a few other cut rifled barrels on bolt actions and really never spent a lot of time or effort braking in the barrels and all shot better than I. This time I am going to follow my instructions.

I was advised shoot one uses hoppes #9, follow with sweets 7.62 with each shot for 10 shots. It seems excessive to me but since he’s built barrels for a long time and apprenticed with Boots I am going to follow instructions, for once. I am hoping for good things from this barrel. I don’t shoot competitive want to hunt deer, maybe call dogs or wolf with this. After I get it dialed in I’ll post results