• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Value of Colt 2nd Gen SAA (Engraved)

BuLLet

I need a new gun!
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2004
USA
A friend of mine is going to unload this Colt SAA 45 LC from 1971. Serial number is in the 60XXXSA range. He bought it used in 1997 and thinks the engraving was from the factory. There is no paperwork or box. He has the 1997 receipt from the gun store he bought it used at. There is some minor wear, and probably 95% from what I've seen of it.

I have a bunch of NIB 3rd generations that I purchased new and one used 3rd gen. Adding this 2nd generation is appealing.

He want's $1900 for it. I'm not convinced the engraving is from the factory. Any ideas to it's value.

Thanks!

20240818_120628.jpg

20240820_192546.jpg

Reactions: CSTactical
Engraving can go either way to value. If it is non factory(I believe this would be an A series engraving since it has minor coverage). The letter will tell you who did it which could do what @diggler1833 says

If this is really factory engraved it's worth north of $2800 I'd venture to say.

The market has gone stupid with these and some idiots pay $$$ for Colt SAA these days. I still have a ANIB 2007 Custom Shop ("Z" model #) that I've seen climb through the roof since I bought it.

I just spoke to him again and he tells me it's not factory engraved :(

So, offerd $1500 for it as that's complety a fair price.

Yeah, just Google factory engraved 2nd gen SAAs and look at the difference in the photos. Pretty big disparity in quality.

Not trying to shit on your friend's revolver, but you seem to be a connoisseur of nice rifles...would hate to see you get your hands on this for near $2K and be disappointed.

Your offer of $1,500 is something he should jump all over. No FFL with any knowledge is going to offer him near as much.

Yeah, just Google factory engraved 2nd gen SAAs and look at the difference in the photos. Pretty big disparity in quality.

Not trying to shit on your friend's revolver, but you seem to be a connoisseur of nice rifles...would hate to see you get your hands on this for near $2K and be disappointed.

Your offer of $1,500 is something he should jump all over. No FFL with any knowledge is going to offer him near as much.
FFL would offer him no more then a Grand I'd bet.

He's accepted the $1500, so... I'll have a new shooter on Tuesday.

Factory letters will add considerable value to a Colt that *has* additional factory work done to it (like engraving).

That being said, I haven't seen many factory engraved Colt SAAs with that style of engraving.
Those are my thoughts, too. I showed this to an advanced SAA collector and he agreed the engraving wasn't factory. But, YMMV.

Reactions: diggler1833
The guns owner apparently had gotten a colt letter on it years ago.... for sure it's not factory engraving. In 1997 he paid $1795 for it used, with that engraving already on it. The letter confirmed it. I asked if he could find the letter anyway.... At the time the ffl who he bought it from took him for a ride, as many here on Long Island would back then.

I wonder if the engraving actually reduces it's value some....

Those are my thoughts, too. I showed this to an advanced SAA collector and he agreed the engraving wasn't factory. But, YMMV.