• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Variable force when full sizing

Millstonemayhem

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2023
Georgia
Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to reloading and I ran into an issue last night. I was full sizing some 6.5 creed brass and noticed a significant difference in the force required to run the press case to case. Will this cause more spring back in the neck or powder chamber or other variances I haven't thought about? I can't find a difference in the cases but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. If it helps, it's hornady brass in a lee full sizing die.

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to reloading and I ran into an issue last night. I was full sizing some 6.5 creed brass and noticed a significant difference in the force required to run the press case to case. Will this cause more spring back in the neck or powder chamber or other variances I haven't thought about? I can't find a difference in the cases but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. If it helps, it's hornady brass in a lee full sizing die.
When you be say you can’t find a diff in the sized cases does that mean you measured with caliper or micrometer and if so, where did you measure.

And do they all chamber in your rifle the same (and where they all shot in the same gun?).

And I dunno about wiping cases with One Shot. I spray them well on all sides in a loading block, flip upside down and make sure I get the bases, let it dry a few minutes and go.

Best of luck

@Millstonemayhem it sounds like you're sizing once-fired brass from someone else's rifle? If so, especially given what you've said about maybe multiple rifles, you can get into situations where you have extraction issues due to differences in chamber size - even though you've resized. When I get a rifle rebarreled, all the old brass gets put in a ziplock and stored away. I never reuse, even with the same reamer, smith, etc.

Using someone else's brass may work, it may not. Why take the chance?

Reactions: Baron23
Oh, I didn't know it would cause a problem. A friend who shoots competitively gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of once fired Hornady brass when he switch to 6br and he knew I was getting into it. I've loaded a decent amount of it and shot it for about 6 months now and just ran into this issue. I appreciate you letting me know!

Oh, I didn't know it would cause a problem. A friend who shoots competitively gave me a 5 gallon bucket full of once fired Hornady brass when he switch to 6br and he knew I was getting into it. I've loaded a decent amount of it and shot it for about 6 months now and just ran into this issue. I appreciate you letting me know!

It isn't always a problem, and may never be. It comes into play when your chamber is smaller than the chamber through which the once-fired brass was fired.

I have that issue because the smith that chambers my barrels does so to extremely tight tolerances, resulting in a smaller chamber. In this case, you can chamber and fire the round fine, but there is not enough clearance to allow the chamber to expand and contract during the shot without "grabbing" the case, which doesn't contract enough. This causes extraction issues.

Sounds like he ended up with some brass from another rifle in the bucket. Can easily happen at a match, especially with Hornady 6.5 brass.

It’s rare that I come back from a match and don’t have a few pieces of some else’s brass mixed in with mine.

Sounds like he ended up with some brass from another rifle in the bucket. Can easily happen at a match, especially with Hornady 6.5 brass.

It’s rare that I come back from a match and don’t have a few pieces of some else’s brass mixed in with mine.
I didn't even think about that but it makes sense! It's also a good reminder for me to mark my brass! I've got my third match coming up on Sunday!

Reactions: ShtrRdy
I'm using one shot, spraying it on then wiping it around the case to make sure it has even coverage on the neck, shoulder, and body.

Be careful with One Shot, remember to "shake well", sometimes it gets a bad rep because guys don't know how to use it...

It's lube (why you bought it), alcohol (carrier), and an aerosol (propellant), forget to shake it and get it mixed, and you're spraying alcohol (dissolves) and maybe a little water on your cases. No bueno.

Don't wait for a stuck case to find out that was your problem all along lol.

I make my own case lube from lanolin and IPA in a spray bottle and it's easier to see that it's mixed, with One Shot I shake the shit out of it for like a minute before I start at least.

Reactions: Millstonemayhem