Vectronix Exports

Kiwi Greg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
New Zealand
I heard last Thursday or Friday that Vectronix maybe going to stop selling to the civillian market.
I don't know if it is certain models only or all products.
It has something to do with Swiss law saying they are responsible for how the end user uses them ???
I hope this isn't the case but our importer has had a shipment delayed....
Anyone know/heard anything....

Re: Vectronix Exports

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it better be BS Greg as Ive got a terrapin on its way soon.checked the outrageous prices tracey short wants for them here $3500 </div></div>

His PLRF10s were very cheap @ $5400, mine cost me way more than that from Switzland.
I got them before he got the agencie, I showed them to him before he got it
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ch'e</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NZD 5'999.99 Vectronix PLRF 10
NZD 10'299.00 PLRF10C

I dont know if this is good or not?Do you shoot the gunslinger compitions?

</div></div>

No Not yet, I have been told I should....not sure if I can be bothered, Quite happy shooting steel way out there...Good Times....may change my mind, have a couple of 375s to add to the collection soon
cool.gif

I just got off of the telephone with Ed, at Vectronix USA.

He is unaware of any plans to discontinue distribution of any of their rangefinders to the civilian market... except for an upgrade at the low end.

I think he was referring to the Terrapin. He was going to pass on this rumor to the technical department, and have someone answer questions from Hide members in this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does this mean the Terrapin will go away to be replaced by something else? </div></div>I dont think he is implying that the Terrapin will cease only an upgrade to either it or the plrf10 -as they are the lower end .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiwi Greg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard last Thursday or Friday that Vectronix maybe going to stop selling to the civillian market.
I don't know if it is certain models only or all products.
It has something to do with Swiss law saying they are responsible for how the end user uses them ???
I hope this isn't the case but our importer has had a shipment delayed....
Anyone know/heard anything.... </div></div>

ALL:

This is a rumor and is not true. I received information from three different Vectronix personel and it couldn't be farther from the truth. The company is specifically targeting sales to the public sector this year due to spending cuts from the Gov't.

Alina at PRG

Alina, thanks for clearing that up.

While you are in contact with Vectronix, can you please confirm what 'slope distance' the Terrapin measures... is it the true straight line distance or is it the angle adjusted distance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiwi Greg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will have another talk with our importer when he gets back from the Shot Show.....something doesn't add up.... </div></div>if its who I think it it doesnt surprise me

Well apparently all is in hand I'm told.

I was informed that Vetronix are writing up new end user docs to cover their behinds a little better than they were previously....

So that is good news
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiwi Greg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well apparently all is in hand I'm told.

I was informed that Vetronix are writing up new end user docs to cover their behinds a little better than they were previously....

So that is good news
smile.gif
</div></div>

What in their current documentation is leaving their behinds exposed? I didn't see anything that stuck out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiwi Greg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well apparently all is in hand I'm told.

So that is good news
smile.gif
</div></div>

What in their current documentation is leaving their behinds exposed? I didn't see anything that stuck out. </div></div>

Read up in the current thread,...its pure bullshit. Vectronix are shipping as per normal and as per Swiss export regs to authorised end users.

Some one direct me to a overseas dealer , like in Europe , not USA , I would like to buy straight from the company direct , BUT , I beleive that has been stopped for NZ buyers .

The dealer in NZ is way Too expensive to bother with , I brought my PLRF05 from the USA , but thats as its a Civie based unit , getting a Mil one exported from the USA is not possible .

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Some one direct me to a overseas dealer , like in Europe , not USA , I would like to buy straight from the company direct , BUT , I beleive that has been stopped for NZ buyers .

The dealer in NZ is way Too expensive to bother with , I brought my PLRF05 from the USA , but thats as its a Civie based unit , getting a Mil one exported from the USA is not possible .

Later Chris </div></div>

They may not be able to get the Vectronix any more Chris, things are still changing at Vectronix Switzland, I'm told.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kiwi Greg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Later Chris </div></div>

They may not be able to get the Vectronix any more Chris, things are still changing at Vectronix Switzland, I'm told..... </div></div>

Bugger
frown.gif

Why do rumors get started, get started by the jealous people....LOL
Wasn't there a song back in the 80s that went that way?

Either way I hope it isn't true as well, since I am planning on a purchase this Christmas..... Unfortunately for me I wasn't able to jump in on the Terrapin group buy...

I just hope Alina is still the woman in charge when the time comes.... She rocks...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrivera</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do rumors get started, get started by the jealous people....LOL
Wasn't there a song back in the 80s that went that way?
</div></div>

Cheers for that, yep I'm jealous because I got a PLRF10 in 2010 direct from the Swiss.............

At the time they were talking about the Terrapin but I decided I wanted the PLRF10 & wasn't prepared to wait.

I started this to try & put a little pressure on & to try & find out whats happening at Vetronix & or it's parent company, there is a big big world outside the States.....

Also to try & make sure these fantasic products continue to be available on the civillian market, so fellow enthusiasts can utilise them to further the LR shooting disipline.

I see it as more than a rumour, I hope not, but time will tell......

It is truely amazing to have the gear to be able to shoot as far as we do.
A few weeks ago I ranged & shot a 1 moa group at 1700 yards.
Then I ranged & shot a 2ish moa group at 2380 yards.
This is futher than I have ever shot.
The only trouble I had was my Exbal "only" goes to 1990 yards.
I just had enough on my dial to get there & still had 20 on the reticle
smile.gif

I have a round that is still doing 1200fps at 3000 yards so I want to try & stretch closer to that.
I will have another round available soon that will be leaving the muzzle 10-12% faster so that will be even more interesting.

My point is that without an accurate reliable rangefinder I could not hope to achieve this goal & wouldn't have
attempted to or even built my rifles.

Hello everyone @ snipers hide. I just registered here but am not new to forum. I mostly just leach on the knowlage of others postings and keep to myself, I felt pressed to register and post on this topic, as I also have an affection for top notch equipment such as vectronix. I came upon this tread shortly after a long talk with a person whom I will not name from the us vectronix headquorters in leesberg, va. Our discussion topic was the same as all of yours here. I regret to inform you that they will be phaseing out of production of there lower line of rangefinders(if you dare call them that) such as the terrapin, plrf 10 and 15. When the supplies to build these rangefinders they have on hand ends ....... That's it. The rising cost for them to produce these products at the quality they hold as a standard and stay competitive in the consumer market is a margin that has grown too thin for them. The military contracts are where the money is for them and these products don't fall into that market.

Sorry for the disappointing news hide members.

This topic has been running for quite awhile. Vectronix wasn't formally at SHOT. I stopped by APO to try and catch up with the person who was supposed to be at their booth from Vectronix but could never catch up with them. As of the end of Dec., PRG raised their prices on the Terrapin and are waiting on what may be the final shipment of Terrapins. 10's, and 15's fully discontinued. PLRF-25 staying current, unknown on availability. Read on:
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-observation-devices/223203-terrapin-will.html