• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Vectronix Vector X vs Sig Kilo10K Gen 2 Initial Impressions

stevenc23

Minuteman
Supporter
  • Oct 21, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Sig Kilo10K Gen 2 vs Vectronix Vector X

I have owned the Vectronix PLF-15 and Terrapin X in the past and was impressed with both but much prefer binos to monoculars. So when Vectronix announced the Vector X I immediately put in for a pre-order. Got my Vector X last week and while I was impressed with some aspects, I was disappointed with others. Kind of long winded but here are my thoughts FWIW

First the positives. Optical clarity IMO was EXCELLENT. I would put them in the same ballpark as Leice Geovids (which are the best rangefinder binos I have had the opportunity to look through). Depth of field was GREAT. So nice to be able scan long distances without having to adjust focus knob.

But despite the excellent glass and great depth of field the Vector X were not without issue. There were several minor but annoying issues with them.

1) First thing I noticed was the focus knob is not smooth. Not sure how to describe it but kinda feels a little sloppy. Talking with others with the Vector X I found this was not unique to my Vector X.

2)Second issue was the Laser button. It is recessed and I found it hard to find the center of the button with my bare finger. I am guessing it would be very difficult to find with gloves.

2A) Also found the button to be very stiff requiring significantly more pressure than any other ranging binos I have used. Even when mounted on a tripod pressing the range button caused the aim point to shift slightly.

3)Another annoying quirk was having to depress the range button twice to get a range if the display has turned off because the first press only “activates”the binos once the display goes off.

4) Was excited to have an etched recticle but found the SMR reticle difficult to use. You obviously don’t want the ranging reticle to interfere with your main viewing area but I found the reticle too far off center making it akward to use for spotting. Also could not get the SMR recticle and center cross hair to be in focus simultaneously (although that may be due to my astigmatism)

5) Lastly, although the binos ranged well, I did not find them to range any better than my Kio 10ks Gen 1 and they were a little slower

These issues may not be a deal breaker for some, but for me there were too many annoyances to justify the price.

Hoping to find a better solution I bought a pair of Sig Kilo10K Gen 2. I have had the Gen 1 for a while and have been reasonably happy with them. Almost bought the Gen 2 when they came out, but went with the Vectronix thinking the Vector X would be a better product.

Overall I am really liking the Gen 2. First off, I no longer see any blue tint. With the blue tint gone they appear clearer than the Gen 1. Not sure if they actually have better resolution but glassing with them is significantly more comfortable. Optically probably not as nice as the Vectronix but not far behind. So what do I like about the Sigs compared to the Vector X

1)Range button easy to index with finger and press without undo pressure
    2)Fast accurate ranging similar to Gen 1
    3)No need to hit Range button twice to get reading
    4)New Wind buttons that are intuitive and easy to use
    5)Ability to center aiming reticle on the laser beam
    6)Lifetime warranty on glass AND electronics

Both are great units with pros and cons and not going to say one is “better” than the other. Depending on what is important to you will determine which you will be happier with.

Bottom line is that the Sigs check more boxes for me than the Vectronix and that is what I will be keeping.

Last edited: