Velocity and barrel life

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking at a 6CM and reading about people keeping at 3000 or just under and increasing barrel life some.

Is it the same concept if I were to load a smaller bullet like a 85gr to get up to 3200 fps vs pushing a 103-108 at the same speed?

I’m not sure if it’s the velocity that’s killing the barrel life or the pressure?

Pressure for sure. There was also a recent thread on here that evolved into bullet bearing surface length affecting barrel longevity with several people who are industry experts sharing their observations, but no scientific testing or empirical data. In short, they are claiming that increased bearing surface does reduce barrel life. I have no reason to doubt them, but I am a data nerd when it comes to stuff like this.

I would suspect in your hypothetical question, the pressure to run a 103-108 at the same velocity that you can run an 85 is going to be significantly higher, and (if bearing surface does reduce life) potentially exacerbate the conditions where throat erosion occurs.

Just my guess.

My understanding is it's about the amount of powder being burned in a certain bore size.
    Backing the powder off will help extend barrel life. Personally I'd just shoot until the barrel is toast and if your concerned about barrel life go to a smaller case next time.

My understanding is it's about the amount of powder being burned in a certain bore size.
    Backing the powder off will help extend barrel life. Personally I'd just shoot until the barrel is toast and if your concerned about barrel life go to a smaller case next time.
    it's pressure, not powder or velocity. Those are just functions of pressure. h4350 and h1000 at equal volumes have different pressures. The lower the pressure, the higher barrel life is extended (obviously to a point of diminished return)

so yes, OP - if you shoot a smaller bullet at the same speed it will increase barrel life (how much is up for some debate but I believe there is a calculator estimator for this - https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/excel-formula-predicts-useful-barrel-life/)

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    it's pressure, not powder or velocity. Those are just functions of pressure. h4350 and h1000 at equal volumes have different pressures. The lower the pressure, the higher barrel life is extended (obviously to a point of diminished return)

so yes, OP - if you shoot a smaller bullet at the same speed it will increase barrel life (how much is up for some debate but I believe there is a calculator estimator for this - https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/excel-formula-predicts-useful-barrel-life/)
    It's clearly not just pressure based. If it was almost all cartridges would wear barrels at the same round count (or close) since 60-65000 is where almost every cartridge lives pressure wise.

Even in your link they mention 5 variables 1) Bullet Diameter; 2) Powder Charge weight; 3) Powder Heat Potential (KJ/kg); 4) Pressure (in psi); and 5) Bullet Coating (yes/no)

Pressure and case efficiency - but it is not about the amount of powder.
    That doesn't make any sense, by that theory if you throw a 40* shoulder on a 308 Win case and it's gonna burn barrels as fast as a 300 RUM.
    Like I said even your calculator takes into account the charge weight. Obviously the powder type (heat potential) has an effect also. I'd imagine pressure plays a role but it's not the sole driver of barrel wear

Don't sweat it man, barrels are consumables.

Load the cartridge as intended, to the performance the cartridge is designed for. Enjoy it and replace it when it's toast.

Downloading your performance for extended barrel life is like buying a brand new Hellcat and rev limiting that sumbitch to 2,500RPM to make your tyres last longer.

Don't sweat it man, barrels are consumables.

Load the cartridge as intended, to the performance the cartridge is designed for. Enjoy it and replace it when it's toast.

Downloading your performance for extended barrel life is like buying a brand new Hellcat and rev limiting that sumbitch to 2,500RPM to make your tyres last longer.
    more than a few get the hellcat and leave it in the garage covered but can brag " i gotsa hemi " same with 6 mm cheerleaders but its in the safe ....sadly

Reactions: Taylorbok
    6mm creedmoor is the best learner cartridge because it will toast that barrel out quick and you can upgrade.
    yeah keeping cartridges within book pressures and speeds will extend barrel life over hotrodding it.
    but really just enjoy the 2k rounds you get.
    not firing long strings and really heating up your barrel in the first place will make it last longer too.

6mm creedmoor is the best learner cartridge because it will toast that barrel out quick and you can upgrade.
    yeah keeping cartridges within book pressures and speeds will extend barrel life over hotrodding it.
    not firing long strings and really heating up your barrel in the first place will make it last longer too.
    But where’s the fun in that. Just crank it up to 15 and let it fly 🤣

Reactions: Cody S
    Yep