• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Velocity question

fastgixxerlv

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2010
Las vegas NV
What would cause my velocity to go up so much faster than the manuals? My manuals says that maximum loads for 180gr. bullets over IMR 4064 is 45.2gr. at 2683fps, @ 44.5gr. I'm getting 2835fps with slight shinny marks on the head. When I did the OCW test I did'nt chronograph the other loads. 44.5 was the OCW. It bothers the hell out of me cause if I wanted to use the same powder for 185gr. bullets what the hell would I go by? I'm shooting it out of a .308 with 24" barrel. Thanks fellas!

Re: Velocity question

I went out and chonographed them again this morning and I'm getting the same velocities, around 2800fps. I thought my chronograph was broken, but when I tested the Bergers with RL 17 the velocities are fine. These are the Nosler Ballistic tips. I'm still getting normal bolt lift, only a little ejector marks thats all. They're shooting soo good I don't wanna change it. I'll just have to sacrifice barrel life.