• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Velocity variability in factory ammo

Nmacgyver

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I have always been impressed with my Hornady Precision Hunter ammo for my 270 Winchester, but this past weekend I shot with my brand new Garmin chronograph. I was a little disappointed with the spread on velocities in each of the shot groups I took, but I was most shocked seeing a difference of 100 fps between two different lots in the ammo I brought with me. Has anybody ever seen anything like that in their use of precision hunter specifically?

As interested as I am in longer range shooting and hunting, I recognize that standard deviations and differences between lots will be larger than the folks out there loading their own ammo. But that’s just way more than I was expecting!

While I’m at it, anybody have experience with 270 Winchester in federal premium? I guess it doesn’t really matter the caliber, but now I’m questioning whether Precision Hunter is the best load for what I’m trying to do? Or is this just a fluke? I want the best consistency I can get until I jump down the reading rabbit hole…

I have given up on Hornady factory ammo and components. Lately, I have seen extreme spreads of 20rnds at 120fps (not just an outlier round or two, velocity was all over for the entire box). I have also been seeing oversized bullet diameter (measured by certified starrett mic) at the bullet ogive to be +.0005 or more. I know this doesn't seem like much but keep in mind the freebore diameter on the SAAMI 6.5creed is .26450......this means if everything is exactly perfect (never is).....you still have ZERO clearance or a bullet that drags or press fits into the freebore.

The real kick in the nuts is I have older lots of eldms and eldxs and they measure +.0001 maybe +.0002

Compared to Berger, Sierra, Lapua match bullets which are very consistent and measure .0000 to +.0001

Ern