Vernier sight question

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
I'm trying to get a sight setting for my 45-70 using 405 bullets @ 1280 fps.

I'm trying to get ready for a 1 Mile Match. Problem is, I only have 300 yards. If I figure the trigetory at 1760 yards, I should be about 108 feet high at 300 yards, and climbing. Now I have a nice hill behind my target, but I'm afraid of the bullet impacting in the next country.

I have settings on the vernier sights for 100 & 200 witch is .08 and .29 respectively.

Is there any way you can figure the vernier sights if you have two knows like you can the MOA dials on normal sights & scopes?

Re: Vernier sight question

It depends on the sight. The way I did it was to figure out your drops at whatever your zero distance is, and print these on a long board, and shoot, at 100 yards, labeling the coresponding points on the sight. That is to say, measure, in inches, and label in yards on the board. Once you use up the elevation on the board, that becomes your new zero, and keep shooting until the required hight is obtained. It sounds bad, but it isn't. You'll soon figure what the scale is on your sight. Some sights have 1/4 moa clicks, and some have a 1/4 moa scale. Hope this helps.

R.

That works with normal guns, but the 45-70 sighted in at 1760 yards will be about 38 feet high at 100 yards and its still heading north.

Guess I'll try to get close by using a 25 yard target. Even then I need a ten foot target.

If I move closer to the hill, I wont have to worry about it getting the neighbors in the next county, (or in my case, state, I'm about 1/2 mile from South Dakota.

It does work for the 45-70. You just make a new board with a new zero. Savy? If you are shooting at 100 yards, and determine an elevation on your sight for 300 yards, that becomes your target point. So, one board covers the distance between 300 and 400, another from 400 to 500, and so on. I did mine with 10ft 2X6's. Easy.

R.

Hi, I shoot a Shiloh .45-70 and the 405s did not do well for me at any distance.
Went to a 540 grn Creedmoore(sp)bullet and 72 grns of 3F goex and all is good.
Planning to shoot the "Q" in June.
For more info take a look at the Shiloh Sharps Fourms.
Respectfully,
LG

Just spent the weekend shooting 405 gn frn from lee molds at 1000 yards through a 1895 marlin. to reach a mile your going to need one hell of a tall rear sight!! mine is about two plus inches.(Tim Skinner ladder sight) The 405s shoot great in my gun, not sure how they would do at a mile!.

Brownells has a formula for figuring out sight height. that is what I used, I will try to find a link.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13093/GunTechdetail/Sight_Correction_Calculator

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=13186/GunTechdetail/Sight_Height_Calculator

Found it, to get to 1760 yards I need a bit over 5 inches of elevation. My sight only has 3.5.

So I need another bullet. If I get Lee's 459-500-3R bullet, I increase the BC to .443 and I only need 2.9 inches. I got some room to play.

Now if I can get the mold in time, I'm good to go.

Thanks for the info. folks.

For one miles , soules sight are the best.

You need to use a heavy bullet more than 500 grains, Lyman 535 Gr postell or creedmoor long range works fines.
You need a long barrel like 32 or 34 inch long, with 18" twist (minimum).