Fieldcraft Very New

patriot1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
I am brand new to this site, which by the way is far and beyond advanced. It is awesome to see so many people as developed in the craft of distance shooting. I however am far from that. What I need is guidance on where to start improving my skills, to develop into reliable consistent shooting. I am 36, have been hunting since I was a child, and have decent skills, but nothing that near measures up to anything I have seen here.

I am also used to common loads. .243, .270, .308 and my normal hunting rifle, a .264 Win Mag. So I could use some advice there as well, weapon selection, upgrades etc. Basically I am a new recruit in this world. Thank you in advance for any time spent in response to this.

Evan

Re: Very New

My suggestion would be to just read as much as you can here... you will get lots of great advice, reviews, etc... good place to start is in the advanced marksmanship threads...

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=16&page=1

Also try out the search function and you should find plenty of info that will keep you reading and busy for months.
smile.gif

It's only been 30 minutes since your first (very first) post, you can't expect 20 people to jump in and give you tips in half an hour. I would say sit back and start reading. There are an incredible amount of threads here that cover pretty much anything you want to know, use the search function or just start looking through past threads and read, read, read. The information is here. However, if there's something you can't find and want to know, by all means post it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WASP7067</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's only been 30 minutes since your first (very first) post, you can't expect 20 people to jump in and give you tips in half an hour. I would say sit back and start reading. There are an incredible amount of threads here that cover pretty much anything you want to know, use the search function or just start looking through past threads and read, read, read. The information is here. However, if there's something you can't find and want to know, by all means post it. </div></div>

I apologize for the rapid response to my on thread. I really hadn't realized how short of time it had been.

I am going to jump into the Advanced Marksmanship Section and begin sifting. Thank you for the response

All rifle marksmanship applications begin with what we call <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">the basics</span></span>.

Also, marksmanship skill are best learned under the watchful eye of a coach, who can be another beginner like yourself, as long as you both understand and agree with the basics. Criticism needs to be both constructive and accepted. Mainly, it's about having a second set of trusted eyes.

Proper learning and training requires a lot of practice. The most practical means of doing this is with a reliable .22LR. It doesn't need to be a big ticket item, it just needs to be relatively, reasonably, and reliably accurate, as well as durable. It's usefulness will probably outlast all the rest of your rifles.

A word processor program, using the largest type and bold face, can print out X's, O's, and Dots on plain paper to use as economical targets. If you can print them as gray instead of black, bullet holes will be more visible at distance. Mount to ceiling tiles as backers using as taple gun. Two rods, driven into the ground about 1" apart can support the ceiling tile upright, sandwiched between them. Just keep the rods relatively remote from the intended impact point to prevent bullet splash and damaged rods.

When this gets kinda old, there's more, and it's all here.

Greg

First... My normal canned welcome.

Welcome to the Hide. Come on in and join the many and varied conversations.

If you know something about a given thread post your experience. If not, you're welcome to sit back and absorb what you wish.

Most of us older folk really appreciate it if you fill out your profile if you haven’t already.

Once again, nice to have you here.

On another note...

Most people here have to work for a living. That means they only check in afternoons and evenings. Then holidays and weekends people have family and other commitments. Don't loose faith if something you post sits here a day or two before replys get started.

Good luck.

Filling out the rest of your profile will help you. Let us know where your located at maybe get some invites to shoot. And maybe some local people to help you with hands on type of stuff.

Welcome to the Hide!

If your just getting into LR shooting the .308 is a good place to start. .308 info is tried and true lot of people to help you with this caliber. .243 is the next one in the list above. You'll want a heavy type barrel profile to shoot at comp's the rate of fire is just to much for hunting barrel profile's. Does either the 308/243 have a heavy barrel if so start with that rifle and get to shooting. Use match grade ammo (FGMM/Hornady match or TAP) or if you reload then build match ammo. It will help to know the twist rates of your rifle to help with bullet weight choose.

The more info you can tell us about what you want to do the better we can help you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Filling out the rest of your profile will help you. Let us know where your located at maybe get some invites to shoot. And maybe some local people to help you with hands on type of stuff.

Welcome to the Hide!

If your just getting into LR shooting the .308 is a good place to start. .308 info is tried and true lot of people to help you with this caliber. .243 is the next one in the list above. You'll want a heavy type barrel profile to shoot at comp's the rate of fire is just to much for hunting barrel profile's. Does either the 308/243 have a heavy barrel if so start with that rifle and get to shooting. Use match grade ammo (FGMM/Hornady match or TAP) or if you reload then build match ammo. It will help to know the twist rates of your rifle to help with bullet weight choose.

The more info you can tell us about what you want to do the better we can help you. </div></div>

None of my rifles have heavy barrels. Basically for the simple reason of not needing a lot of horsepower to kill the average South Texas Whitetail Deer
smile.gif
On average a typical shot isn't more than 250yds.

With the .264 Win Mag I can shoot (remember I am an amateur) a 5-6" 5 shot group at 250yds, not great, but not bad for an out of the box rifle with me behind the scope.

What I would like to do, is eventually get into competition shooting, I am not sure I could ever get to that level of shooting, but it's where I want the bar set.

I learned tons simply from reading the article written in the advanced forum about proper positioning, and especially the breathing. That's how much more advanced y'all are, I didn't even know how to breathe properly to improve my accuracy. So every little bit helps. I am not opposed at all to setting out to build a custom rifle either, although I am not sure that isn't cart before the horse. At this point it seems to make more sense to regroup, and learn the REAL fundementals before I commit to a large expense that doesn't do any good if I cannot shoot properly.

Anyways, you can see how green I am, so I'll be reading a lot more than contributing.

I understand the "cart before horse" thought on building a custom rifle before learning proper fundamentals, however, my thought on that is this:

You start off with a rifle that you know to be quality and accurate as well as good ammo weather that be quality factory ammo or reloads (which I much prefer since the possibilities are endless and you can surely make an accurate load for any gun), an that cuts out one variable in accurate shooting. It gives you more accurate feedback as to the fact that it is you doing something wrong and not the gun. That in my opinion is a good place to start. I'm not saying you need a custom built gun, but a good model 700 in .308 may be a good idea.

I have a savage model 10 that is supposed to be their "LE sniper" model and really accurate. I took it out and shot it with factory ammo and had about a 10-12" group at 100 yards. I was astounded. I knew I was not that bad, so some of it had to be the gun or ammo. The next week I went and bought a reloading setup and loaded some 168gr A-maxes with IMR 4895 and shot a 3 round group through 1 ragged hole.

I never claimed to be a "sniper" or even a very good shot at that, but that sold me on having an accurate rifle and reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KHOOKS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 for want Greg said. 22lr

Do you have a .22lr? </div></div>

AS a matter of fact I own a couple. My oldest boy does too. And I have in the order of 5,000 rounds on hand. Thank you and the other gentlemen who have sent me on a path.

Evan

Welcome aboard! Once you read more and get a good knowledge base, it will be easier to ask more specific and refined questions. As long as you have specific, intelligent questions (that haven't been asked a million times), you will receiver very quick answers...and possible generate some good discussion.

You seem very receptive and willing to learn. You will do well here. Enjoy.

I appreciate all the input, truly. And I feel bad for having not already done so, but to all the men and women here currently in the service, or having already served, a sincere and heartfelt thank you for your time spent defending our country, God Bless you all.