Vihtavouri Powders for reduced loads?

tekmann2377

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
OH
Hi All,
I was recently experimenting with some reduced loads in 308 using the 125 SST using Hodgdon's "60% of maximum load" data with H4895. I have several lbs of H4895 as well as IMR 4895, but for the sake of availability I used the IMR. In short, it works great! 41 gr of IMR 4895 under a 125 SST yields around 2625 fps, and is very accurate and mild-recoiling. I would highly recommend this load for a recoil sensitive shooter, and would be perfectly adequate to 200 yds.

As a result, I was thinking of getting several lbs more of IMR 4895, but holy smokes is it expensive! Also I have come to be more and more of a fan of Vihtavouri powders recently, and they are also less expensive and clean burning.

Has anyone used any of the Vihtavouri powders for lower case fill/reduced loads? Have you had ignition issues or inconsistent velocities? I was thinking either N140 or N150 would be appropriate for this.

I have used N110 in the 300 BLK in lower pressure loads without issue so I don't imagine there will be an issue.

If no one has tried it I may just get a lb of each and share my knowledge!

That sounds like "slightly reduced" loads. I think either powder will suffice, but if you want to go closer to subsonic, N32C "Tin Star" should be on your shopping list.

I was in the same boat looking for reduced loads for my son and a 257 Bob as I have a little H4895 left but not a lot.

I reached out to VV seeing if they had any reduced load data but never heard back.

I am not speaking of "slightly" reduced loads... The max load for IMR 4895 in the 308 is 49+ grains, and a 60% reduced load is 30 grains. That is quite low case fill. Fortunately there were no wonky ignition issues or positional changes in velocity.

Tin Star isn't made anymore and the best we have for a fast burning substitute for subs is something like Red Dot.

If you are willing to shoot lighter bullets in the 257, I am certain that IMR 4895 would likely work for your purposes.

recently tried N135 with 6.5cm

34-37ish grains didn’t seem to go well.
30-40 ES

37.5-38 seemed to be better, but only tested 3 rounds at 0.5gr increments

plan to test more this week, along with N150

Thank for the heads up about trying the N130-series powders instead.

I don't think you will get a great ES/SD with loads like this due to pressures being less than optimal for 100% combustion, but accuracy is often just fine.