Vihtavuori Powder

kwak

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2010
MI
What makes this powder so expensive? Is it worth the increased cost to use it? In pistol loads vs Clays the cost of this powder per round is almost twice as much.

Re: Vihtavuori Powder

Cant's say about pistols, but in rifle rounds, I find that there is a difference. Their powder is more clean burning, gives good and consistent velocity. The biggest drawback, as you have already pointed out, is the cost. In part, it's just plain expensive and occationally difficult to find as well.

Where are you located in AZ? I am thinking about renting a place in Phoenix this winter. Is the Ben Avery Gun Club by Cave Creek still in business?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cant's say about pistols, but in rifle rounds, I find that there is a difference. Their powder is more clean burning, gives good and consistent velocity. The biggest drawback, as you have already pointed out, is the cost. In part, it's just plain expensive and occationally difficult to find as well. </div></div>

I prefer to run their N-340 through my 1911. I run it up to 880 to 900 fps with a 230 grain bullet. It's probably the cleanest burning powder I've ever shot in my pistol. It's the exact opposite end of the scale from Bullseye or Unique. But they have a place as well.

Most of the Vihtavuori powders I have, came in 2 pound plastic bottles. Lately I have seen some smaller bottles, that I assume are one pound.

I meant to add that Vihtavuori powder is all made from cotton fiber for the nitro-cellulos instead of the tree stumps that Winchester uses. Just another reason it burns cleaner.

It works out cheaper over here, a 2lb tub is cheaper than x2 1lb tubs of any other,
And I also find it cleaner burning
smile.gif

FINALLY it appears that I can buy a component cheaper than you chaps!
wink.gif

If only Viht would start producing road fuel...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where are you located in AZ? I am thinking about renting a place in Phoenix this winter. Is the Ben Avery Gun Club by Cave Creek still in business? </div></div>

Yes it still is. There is also an outdoor gun range in Mesa, Rio Salado Sportsman club. Another one is the Phoenix Rods &Gun Club. When all else fails, the desert is another option also.

kwak,

AMU uses N-320 for faster recovery, I use N-350 for low flash and full cases which you cannot double charge without creating a mess. Low flash comes in handy for night matches. It likes Winchester primers in rifles and pistols.

HTH,
DocB

If you do a web search, you might be able to find a Vit dealer, Monty Millican. He used to have very good prices but it's been two years or so since I've bought in bulk from him.
I think it was drop shipped from the importer in Bensenville, IL although I believe Monty's out of OR or WA.

N310, N320, N350, 3N37, 3N38 have all been good pistol powders for me (9x19, .38 SuperComp, .45, .40). Limited experience with their rifle powders but I've certainly read good reports. Like others have said, extremely clean burning. For .38 Super, N350 is a gold standard -- so much that you can identify N350 users by the flash from the comp. So clean burning, that I've never wet cleaned my primary .38 SuperComp barrel (120,000 rounds).

I use it for my USPSA pistol loads ...it is very clean burning and very consistent. Also it isn't temperature sensitive. If you plan ahead and buy in bulk there shouldn't be any problems running out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kwak</div><div class="ubbcode-body">K2 can you tell me what powder you use in the 38-40-45 if you don't use the same for all? Thanks </div></div>
For 9mm "minor" loads, use 320
For 9mm "major" loads, use 350
For .40 "major" loads, use 320
For .45, use 310, or, 320
.38 Super "minor" loads, use 320

For .38 Super, "major" loads, a lot depends on the specific gun, and compensator. Most guys seem to really like N105, while others like 3N37, 3N38, or N350.

N140 worked very well for my AR-15 68, 69, grain bullets Like everyone else said clean burning and my velocity spreads were very low. Even with out any brass prep. I didn't know about the benefits of brass uniformity back then. If I wasn't a working man that's all I would use.

I use N105 in my Dawson Signature open guns. It is the best powder for using a long comp. It burns slow and finishes in the comp, instaed of the barrel.

I use N320 for 9mm, 40 and 45.

Cost per bullet is negasted when you spend $$$ on good equipment. Once you get hooked on VV powders, it is hard to go back to Clays, WSF, AA, etc...

Jerry