• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Spotters Viper HD or Athlon Ares G2 20-60

Vortex or Athlon Spotter?

• Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80

• Athlon Ares G2 UHD 20-60x80

Results are only viewable after voting.

sierracharlie338

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Republic of Texas (Houston)
    Looking to pick up one of these for range use mostly. Might venture into the woods with it but that would be few and far between so not worried about weight. Don’t want or need to spend 3k on a spotting scope that will only see the range as a primary role.

What say the Hide

If I may add a 3rd choice, take a look at the Hawke Endurance ED 25-75x85 Spotting Scope.

25-75x vs 20-60x
    Extra-low Dispersion glass for optimum clarity
    Dielectric Coatings designed to increase light reflectivity
    Fully Multi-Coated optics to produce sharp images
    Close focus – see detail from 16.4ft/5m
    BAK-4 Porro prisms for intense colour and contrast
    Dual focus knob to achieve ultra fine focusing
    Body rotation for viewing in virtually any position
    Stay-on soft scope cover for maximum protection
    Twist-up eye cup and pull out sunshade
    Digi-scope compatible for use with your camera

Side by side, optically, we feel this would be the way to go, with more power and a lower price.

Given your options- I'd likely pick the Viper myself out of the two choices. Not to muddy the waters though- when it comes to the Athlon offerings, have you considered looking at the Cronus offering instead of the Ares?

The only reason I ask is you'd likely be comparing Athlon models within a similar price point as the Viper, you'd be giving up the option of reticle eyepiece options moving forward going to the Cronus but I'd say it's pretty good glass for the price and given the use case you mentioned- it may be more closer to an 'apples to apples' comparison when adding in the Cronus spotting scope and if you don't care about swapping eyepieces and neoprene covers, you may be pleasantly surprised for the same money.

I'm pretty sure that I received an email or two this week that Athlon is running some kind of promotion presently that may make the Cronus option even more attractive for what you're looking to do. Just an idea- let us know how you make out regardless.

-LD

Last edited:
    Reactions: sierracharlie338
    Given your options- I'd likely pick the Viper myself out of the two choices. Not to muddy the waters though- when it comes to the Athlon offerings, have you considered looking at the Cronus offering instead of the Ares?

The only reason I ask is you'd likely be comparing Athlon models within a similar price point as the Viper, you'd be giving up the option of reticle eyepiece options moving forward going to the Cronus but I'd say it's pretty good glass for the price and given the use case you mentioned- it may be more closer to an 'apples to apples' compression when adding in the Cronus spotting scope and if you don't care about swapping eyepieces and neoprene covers, you may be pleasantly surprised for the same money.

I'm pretty sure that I received an email or two this week that Athlon is running some kind of promotion presently that may make the Cronus option even more attractive for what you're looking to do. Just an idea- let us know how you make out regardless.

-LD
    I’m not opposed to looking at the Cronous it’s honestly not that much of a difference in price. In my research to this point all you can seem to find is reviews by people who were given some sort of a perk to review Athlon optics. There doesn’t seem to be a real world review from someone who doesn’t want to hurt feelings. Thanks for the input

Reactions: LuckyDuck