• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Viper PST users in F-class?

jv8246

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Hi all.

Long time shooter, newbie LR shooter here building 1st rifle.
You've heard this story before, Rem700 AAC-SD coming in, debating between Vortex Viper PST and Nightforce.

I'm considering the NXS 3.5x15x50 for use hunting, participating in (not COMPETING in ) some F-class to try it out, and in case of zombies of course
smile.gif

My buddy shoots an SB 3-12 in his F-class matches and sees the targets pretty well so I think the 3.5x15 is enough for me to try my hand at 600-1k paper, yet leave me a low enough power to hunt with in MO. I honestly don't see myself shooting over 200yds, I just want something with better low light capability rather than using my compact acog on my Ar10.

2 things I'm concerned about.
1) If I go NF: is it too big/heavy.
2) If I go PST: will it track under heavy usage. The modified F-classes here shoot every 100 from 100-800, so turrets will be used quite a bit.

I WANT the NF but my wife would LIKE me to get the PST if it will meet my needs
smile.gif

So... I'm curious if anyone here is using a PST in F-class at all? How is it working for you? I've read all the PST vs threads I could find, but no one seems to be using them in matches, that I've read.

Thanks.

Re: Viper PST users in F-class?

Personally, I think that anything with a 50mm objective is going to be too big for hunting; but I suppose, it depends on what you're hunting.

In any case, I've never owned the 3-15X model of PST, but I do have a 6-24X50 on one of my rimfire rigs and I sold one to a friend of mine and he's running it on a Remington 40X in .308. He uses it for F Class type shooting. I got the PSTs with the intention of replacing my NIghtforce scopes with them. In the end, I stayed with Nightforce.

My subjective opinion is this.

The glass on both is very good. I certainly didn't feel that the Nightforce blew the PST out of the water. Without a side by side, it was hard to notice the difference. Both had very good tracking, from what I could see. I didn't use the PST for long, but it did what it's supposed to do.

The PST weighs about half a pound less than the Nightforce. The Nightforce is very robustly built. I never worry about breaking it.

As I said, in the end, I stayed with Nightforce. My reasons were:

If it can't be killed, I can kill it. The NIghtforce is built better. It's just heftier.

I didn't like the knobs and detents on the PST. The detents were very fine, although positive. I did, however, find my self over dialing when in a hurry and having to dial back. The clicks on the Nightforce or more course, or positive. When you spin quick and go four clicks, you know it. I also didn't like the knurling on the PST knobs. They were too fine and sharp. They got caught on all sorts of stuff, likes sweaters, cloth seats, etc. I also liked the zero stop on the Nightforce better.

I'm not shooting F-class with my guns but I've got two 4-16 PST on two of our Long Range XP-100 pistols we've shot at our 1000 yard steel plate matches and we've cranked on them a bunch. From 234 to 1000 with varying distances in no particular order they always track true and are perfect at each elevation setting. Other than the occasional paint fleck floating around they track and work perfect even on the sharp recoiling 260rem pistols. I'd not worry about them holding up on your rifle. I've not found the need to pound nails or toss them over a cliff to test them but those lil handguns do give them a workout and they are still performing perfectly.

Topstrap

forget the 15x for fclass yes you can hit the target but you need more mag. Ive spent $10's of thousands on glass over the years (not bragging but always buying and upgrading then selling) I'd say you need at least 20x and 36 is what I like. I use my S&B for my open gun and do pretty well with it at 25x but thats pretty clear glass. I had a 6-24 FFP PST that was a great scope I just sold it to buy the razor...which I loved but then bought a S&B. Gene Pool has it now contact him...he loves it and uses it for bench, prone, and fclass

Well, I went through the same scenario. I really wanted a nf but bought the pst. The pst is a great scope for the money and I really liked it. But I eventually bought what I wanted to begin with, the nf, and was blown away. The moral to the story, buy what you want. You will end up buying it in the end anyway. Remember the saying buy once, cry once.

I don't think it is fair to compare NXS to PST? You are talking two different levels of scope. To be fair you need to compare Razor to NXS. I own the PST and think I have done very well with the money I spent, but it not the same class as NXS - Razor? I mean how do you compare spending $1000. to spending $2000.?
Just my .02?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think it is fair to compare NXS to PST? You are talking two different levels of scope. To be fair you need to compare Razor to NXS. I own the PST and think I have done very well with the money I spent, but it not the same class as NXS - Razor? I mean how do you compare spending $1000. to spending $2000.?
Just my .02? </div></div>

I agree, I have 5 Nightforce scopes and 4 ACOG's of various flavors on Rifles that will be used in the field and/or long range shooting. I have 1 4-16X50 PST and one one the way that will be used on rifles that will only see range use. So to me it depends on how the weapon will be used wether a Nighforce/ACOG or PST will be used on it.

Thanks all for your responses.

I don't think I was comparing NF to a PST. I think everyone would agree they are not in the same class, hence the Razor. The question was more about whether the PST has sufficient ruggedness to handle those tasks, like F-class, that people generally buy the more expensive scopes for.

I think the PST would work just fine for my uses, but I also feel real good about my decision to get the NF. I also have ACOG's and like knowing I can depend on their ruggedness. If this were a range only gun, I'd have no problem getting the PST.

Thanks again for the different perspectives!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jv8246</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks all for your responses.

I don't think I was comparing NF to a PST. I think everyone would agree they are not in the same class, hence the Razor. The question was more about whether the PST has sufficient ruggedness to handle those tasks, like F-class, that people generally buy the more expensive scopes for.

I think the PST would work just fine for my uses, but I also feel real good about my decision to get the NF. I also have ACOG's and like knowing I can depend on their ruggedness. If this were a range only gun, I'd have no problem getting the PST.

Thanks again for the different perspectives!

</div></div>

My thoughts exactly that's why I bought the Vortex PST for rifles that will only see range use and have NF and ACOG's on rifles that will see field use.

Let me tell you a little story about night force scopes. About two years ago I was hunting coyotes. I have a 5.5 x 22 night force on a rifle that I built and I was on a sidehill when I had a fall of about 30 feet down the hill, it bent the sunshade, bent the main tube and screwed up some things inside. It cost me $600 for night force to fix it and there was no discount, with Viper PST they would have replaced the scope, no questions asked. So that gives you something to think about.
Don't get me wrong I love my night force, but I also have high regards for vortex and being half the price, I could have two!