Vision Chassis/ KRG Buttstock Question

Screach

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Portland, OR
Good evening guys, I have been toying with a few ideas based around the integration of a KRG Buttstock, namely the W3 Folder on a Vision Mid-section.

I have been working on and have run several variations of my own “take-down” or “Covert Sniper Rifle” build using my Terminus Zeus QC action and a plethora of different chassis options on the market and have run into a bit of a crossroads. I ran and absolutely loved my AICS Chassis and found the ability to pack it down fairly easy and quick, but disliked the stock and the need for tools to remove the forend. I have also been running a KRG W3 Folder with both a standard and enclosed hand guard and they do the job well, but lack in the ability to become as compact as the AICS when folded with the forend removed.

I then found the Vision chassis and considered purchasing the forend to mount on my W3 until I noticed the Vision Mid-Section chassis and it’s ability to have tool-less and variable length handguard options.

I absolutely love the W3 Folding Buttstock and find the ergonomics to be superior to most that I have tried and would like to somehow integrate it into my final build.

My question for this evening is as follows; Is it possible or plausible to take and modify the Vision Mid-Section Chassis to accept a W3 Folding Buttstock to maintain the forend compatibility with the vision line while not affecting the integrity of the chassis.

Long question and fairly nebulous, but I think it would be badass to have a build with a W3 Folding stock and the interchangeable vision forends based on the needs of the day. Thanks in advance guys.

Good evening guys, I have been toying with a few ideas based around the integration of a KRG Buttstock, namely the W3 Folder on a Vision Mid-section.

I have been working on and have run several variations of my own “take-down” or “Covert Sniper Rifle” build using my Terminus Zeus QC action and a plethora of different chassis options on the market and have run into a bit of a crossroads. I ran and absolutely loved my AICS Chassis and found the ability to pack it down fairly easy and quick, but disliked the stock and the need for tools to remove the forend. I have also been running a KRG W3 Folder with both a standard and enclosed hand guard and they do the job well, but lack in the ability to become as compact as the AICS when folded with the forend removed.

I then found the Vision chassis and considered purchasing the forend to mount on my W3 until I noticed the Vision Mid-Section chassis and it’s ability to have tool-less and variable length handguard options.

I absolutely love the W3 Folding Buttstock and find the ergonomics to be superior to most that I have tried and would like to somehow integrate it into my final build.

My question for this evening is as follows; Is it possible or plausible to take and modify the Vision Mid-Section Chassis to accept a W3 Folding Buttstock to maintain the forend compatibility with the vision line while not affecting the integrity of the chassis.

Long question and fairly nebulous, but I think it would be badass to have a build with a W3 Folding stock and the interchangeable vision forends based on the needs of the day. Thanks in advance guys.
Can't see how you could mount a KRG W3 butt stock to a Vision (I have one) mid-chassis. Totally different methods of attachment. The Vision mid-section has four fairly small screw holes to accept screws for spacer or folder and the butt stock bolts then bolts on to the back of that spacer/folder with a larger single screw.

And for "tool-less" on the mid-chassis....where and what?? Tool-less adjustable comb, LOP, and bag rider on the butt stock but I don't know of anything tool-less in the mid-chassis??

Cheers

Can't see how you could mount a KRG W3 butt stock to a Vision (I have one) mid-chassis. Totally different methods of attachment. The Vision mid-section has four fairly small screw holes to accept screws for spacer or folder and the butt stock bolts then bolts on to the back of that spacer/folder with a larger single screw.

And for "tool-less" on the mid-chassis....where and what?? Tool-less adjustable comb, LOP, and bag rider on the butt stock but I don't know of anything tool-less in the mid-chassis??

Cheers
Hey Baron, thanks for the reply. In order to do what I’m thinking, I would need to machine the rear end of the chassis out to match the interface of the Whiskey 3 stock. I would basically be cutting off the rear end of the chassis up to the trigger guard and inletting it for the KRG stock attachment.

The tool-less portion I am talking about has been brought to market by B4 Armory as part of their “Tace Mortem” rifle line and I have included photos below. It basically just replaces the normal two torx screws with larger thumb screws that can be tightened without tools. It forces you to give up approx. 1.5” of Arca rail closest to the magwell where the screws sit, but offers tool-less removal and installation of the forend.

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Reactions: Baron23
Hey Baron, thanks for the reply. In order to do what I’m thinking, I would need to machine the rear end of the chassis out to match the interface of the Whiskey 3 stock. I would basically be cutting off the rear end of the chassis up to the trigger guard and inletting it for the KRG stock attachment.

The tool-less portion I am talking about has been brought to market by B4 Armory as part of their “Tace Mortem” rifle line and I have included photos below. It basically just replaces the normal two torx screws with larger thumb screws that can be tightened without tools. It forces you to give up approx. 1.5” of Arca rail closest to the magwell where the screws sit, but offers tool-less removal and installation of the forend.

View attachment 8486452

View attachment 8486453

View attachment 8486454
Very cool. If you have the mad skills to pull it off then I look forward to seeing it. I def do NOT have those skills. lol.

I do love my Vision but it absolutely needs a folder as you cannot get a bore guide into the action otherwise due to the humo on the top of the butt stock. Only alternative is to pull the butt stock every time you want to clean the rifle (yeah, I’m not doing that) or don’t clean the rifle (not doing that either lol).

I have zero idea what these guys in Norway were thinking. I’m told they are shooters but…..??

For me, here’s the kicker. I’m on the small side and the folder results in the longest minimum LOP. So, I had to get a Gen 3 recoil pad hardware where they finally broke the code and just put screws thru the pad so you could change it (but of course it’s 79mm hole spacing vice 3 1/8” that is most common here).

I have a stock/gunsmith friend of mine grinding a couple of thinner kick-eez pads for it to regain shorter LOP lost to the folder. So, folder to clean, new recoil hdwr, and new grind to fit real recoil pad (also cause the stock one is harder than a brick).

If you are at all bigger, this won’t be a problem except needing a folder to be able to insert a bore guide.

It may sound like I don’t like the chassis and that is far from true. It’s beautifully machined and it’s highly adjustable with tool-less knobs. There is no flex or “pinging” as with some other chassis.

But I wonder WTF they had beta testing this chassis….probably no one (and let’s not even discuss them putting a 1” or so hard plastic can’t adjustment knob right in the middle of the Gen 1 recoil pad…sigh).

Wow, I feel much better now! Hahaha

Last edited:
Reactions: Screach
Seems to me you could do the opposite?

Get a KRG Bravo and machine the rail to fit the Vision forend?
You can just buy a vision forend for a krg but I think he only wants the krg but stock and all else vision. I know why, I have a w3 and 2 visions. The w3 is comfy at the cheek piece but the vision everywhere else is better

Reactions: Screach and Baron23
OP Try to take apart a KRG chassis or two. This should answer all your questions.
(or, Have you already tried this...and I'm missing something?)

You can just buy a vision forend for a krg but I think he only wants the krg but stock and all else vision. I know why, I have a w3 and 2 visions. The w3 is comfy at the cheek piece but the vision everywhere else is better
How do you clean the rifles you have in the Visions? Do you have a folder in them or?

How do you clean the rifles you have in the Visions? Do you have a folder in them or?
Yeah they are both folders. Cleaning is the main reason I even have folders on those and some AR's. It makes cleaning so much easier and less messy. It's nice to be able to fold down the size sometimes but cleaning is THE reason I sought out the best folder chassis and I think the vision is it or at least one of the best.

KRG went way out of their way to get me a lefty with a folder but since they don't actually make a lefty hinge, the left handed rifle with their reg folding hinge was just too tight where my thumb and top of hand were so I had to send it back (which they took back). I love KRG W3 for the comfortable feel of the chassis , which is why I still have one on my
223 but the Visions are a lot easier to clean and I don't have to move my cheek piece or anything.

Reactions: Baron23
I have disassembled and own a plethora of W3 and Bravo Chassis from KRG.

I am mainly wondering if there will be enough material in the rear portion of the Vision chassis to have a solid lock-up if it is machined out to accept the W3 Buttstock.

Looking at it more over the past few days it seems like it should be doable although the lines of the handgrips will not match up with the vision.

I also looked pretty hard at the MDT ESS chassis as it would allow a similar functionality of the forend. Probably a bit easier to get a hold of and a little less of a heresy to destroy an MDT vs a Norwegian work of art. lol.

Reactions: ma smith
I have disassembled and own a plethora of W3 and Bravo Chassis from KRG.

I am mainly wondering if there will be enough material in the rear portion of the Vision chassis to have a solid lock-up if it is machined out to accept the W3 Buttstock.

Looking at it more over the past few days it seems like it should be doable although the lines of the handgrips will not match up with the vision.

I also looked pretty hard at the MDT ESS chassis as it would allow a similar functionality of the forend. Probably a bit easier to get a hold of and a little less of a heresy to destroy an MDT vs a Norwegian work of art. lol.
Pretty sure the KRG runs the main action screw thru the grip, then into the huge plastic trigger guard, which doubles as a bushing. That plastic bushing, in other words, is in the main torque-chain for the rear action scew. If you can find a way to bypass that mess 😅 godd bless you...

Yeah, I was seeing that. Luckily though the actual material that will need to be removed to accept the part of the W3 that matters is pretty small.

And I’ll have to put some relief in for the plastic side panels too. Once I get the chassis body in hand. I’ll have to gauge if it’s all worth it or not.

Would be pretty bad ass to have a full take-down rifle with the W3 rear end. I’m thinking I’ll pick up an MDT ESS base and go over to the machine shop to see what’s doable. If everything works out I’ll probably pick up a vision mid section and try the same.