• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Night Vision Voodoo-M vs xELR

KarlHungus

DB
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2011
Thinking of picking up one of these units. I have consumer grade clip-ons but want a collimated one that can hold up to higher mag. Looking for some feedback from anyone who has had or spent time with both.

Based on image quality, user experience, ruggedness, warranty, etc., is the PoT unit worth the extra coin?

For the xELR, is the mk2 worth it over picking up a used mk1/1.5?

I have used both. Ive also owned an LR (not ELR) and a Voodoo-M.

I vote Voodoo-M hands down.

Smaller.

Flip to side mount is wonderful for several reasons.

BAE core still smokes everything else in terms of making the image play well with the human eyes/brain. Stats don’t measure this, but it’s almost universally agreed upon. I do have a friend with an ELR who prefers it 🤷‍♂️.

Bae core still beats most (definitely including ELR) at making live things “pop” under more conditions. I’ve literally been unable to FIND a wolf standing in a patch of brush with an LR while my BAE core thermal saw it in great detail and dramatic “pop” from everything around it.

BAE core doesn’t “panic” when scanning across varying terrain. Eotech does. Some here haven’t experienced this, but several have. I can’t really explain it for those who haven’t experienced it, but it’s exactly what you’d expect to see if a computer could literally panic. I just want to tell it to calm down and stop making insanely wild overreactions to changes in the scene.

Yes, all thermals adjust when you hit the skyline or other dramatic change, but not all of them freak out. BAE cores don’t panic in the conditions that EoTech does.

I’m not picking on Eotech here, the LWTS-LR did it pretty bad too.

I literally had to threaten a drop dead date for a lawsuit after they ghosted me for 2 months when my LR collimation went to shit, so don’t buy their ten year warranty BS. I’m FAR from the only one that had to fight for months to get things fixed (or even get an honest answer).

So…

I don’t think it’s even close.

I have used both. Ive also owned an LR (not ELR) and a Voodoo-M.

I vote Voodoo-M hands down.

Smaller.

Flip to side mount is wonderful for several reasons.

BAE core still smokes everything else in terms of making the image play well with the human eyes/brain. Stats don’t measure this, but it’s almost universally agreed upon. I do have a friend with an ELR who prefers it 🤷‍♂️.

Bae core still beats most (definitely including ELR) at making live things “pop” under more conditions. I’ve literally been unable to FIND a wolf standing in a patch of brush with an LR while my BAE core thermal saw it in great detail and dramatic “pop” from everything around it.

BAE core doesn’t “panic” when scanning across varying terrain. Eotech does. Some here haven’t experienced this, but several have. I can’t really explain it for those who haven’t experienced it, but it’s exactly what you’d expect to see if a computer could literally panic. I just want to tell it to calm down and stop making insanely wild overreactions to changes in the scene.

Yes, all thermals adjust when you hit the skyline or other dramatic change, but not all of them freak out. BAE cores don’t panic in the conditions that EoTech does.

I’m not picking on Eotech here, the LWTS-LR did it pretty bad too.

I literally had to threaten a drop dead date for a lawsuit after they ghosted me for 2 months when my LR collimation went to shit, so don’t buy their ten year warranty BS. I’m FAR from the only one that had to fight for months to get things fixed (or even get an honest answer).

So…

I don’t think it’s even close.
Really appreciate the detailed input. I know exactly what you mean regarding the freak out when scanning, and thanks for the direct insight on the warranty. Sounds like I’ll wait a little longer and just gather funds for the Voodoo.

Anyone know of other options on the near-term horizon from Excelitas or others?

The Voodoo M is superior unit to the XELR. It is smaller, the core has better sensitivity and processing, and it handles different conditions better.

That being said the XELR is by no means a bad unit and it is still no slouch if you could get one for a reasonable price.

I've run the theons side by side with bae cored units on numerous occasions and different terrain settings.
In SW MO across all seasons -27F to 100F ... The M wins under 600m in all conditions, the ELR wins over 600m in open ground over 600m.
Repairability. Neither POT nor Theon win CS awards, but seems like POT is faster if only due to being closer.
EO Tech was supposed to set up a US service center but I havent detected evidence that it happened.
I had an ELR for 18 mos, but sold it and got ML and love it.
Saving up for a voodooS.

We can get OP either an ML or an xELR ...

Last edited:
Reactions: KarlHungus