• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Voodoo S Mount Options?

Detroit_1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2006
Good afternoon and thank you for your thoughts in advance. I am purchasing an S model and I would like to swap this around on some different set ups. I note that the Wilcox mount is non QD. For those that swap these around on different rigs - how well does that work out? Any shifts from manually tightening down the mount (esp if we're not using a torque value - just hand tight + 1/4 turn)? If HMT isn't my interest, am I better served by a Unity CMT mount w/ QD? It looks like I need to remove the Wilcox shoe to use the CMT - which means more bulk if you want to stuff it in a pocket. (If the included Wilcox mount is not what I would hope) Are there any other QD mounts that accept the Wilcox shoe that I should look at?

Well you would have to ask POT if removing the Wilcox shoe would void the warranty. I don't think it is recommended. The Wilcox mount is quite robust, and I don't think you will be disappointed.

The other question is whether it matters if the mount stays tight and repeatedly in the same place. For a true collimated optic this is not nearly as important. POT is very explicit that one of the most important parts of a setup which generates zero offset is getting the mount height aligned as closely as possible. POT specifies a 1.54 in mount height as being optimal (Geissele or Area 419 mounts are perfect).

I swap mine all the time (usually just finger tight). No POI issues at all and I’m picky about little variations. That’s most of the whole point of a collimated clip on.

Thank you for saying this... I had sort of come to the conclusion that this must be the case - primarily due to the lack of conversation about the Unity mount around the web.