Vortex Impact 4000 Gen 2

corym468

Minuteman
Oct 5, 2010
Madison, AL
Are there in indications in industry or rumors on when Vortex or a competitor will release a slimmer, faster, & lighter version? I'm getting ready to pick one up and I have a strong feeling that I'm going to get lab radar'd again at shot show 2025. The impact 4000 feels more like the proof of concept than the final product.

Reactions: person1 and Magsz18
Man...I hear ya. I am sitting here with an impact 4000 in the cart but I keep thinking i'm going to be upset come January lol.

The flip side is that there's always something better right around the corner. At some point, you have to simply say, "am I going to get my moneys worth even if this isn't the latest and greatest?"

I
Same here...plus I hate Bluetooth and have been burned by it many, many times.
I wouldn't let that sway you. We put in a lot of work to make sure that you don't get burned by connectivity. I've literally never had a remote not connect once it's been connected.

Regarding bluetooth, I personally made all the same arguments that are mentioned in this thread when we were developing the Impact. I kept an open mind and the Impact team really pulled it off.

I have yet to hear of anyone having the remote not connect once it's been paired.

On another note, if what I just said doesn't alleviate your concerns. Buy one and try it yourself. We will never leave a customer hanging if our products aren't doing what we say they do.

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely
Scott

I

I wouldn't let that sway you. We put in a lot of work to make sure that you don't get burned by connectivity. I've literally never had a remote not connect once it's been connected.

Regarding bluetooth, I personally made all the same arguments that are mentioned in this thread when we were developing the Impact. I kept an open mind and the Impact team really pulled it off.

I have yet to hear of anyone having the remote not connect once it's been paired.

On another note, if what I just said doesn't alleviate your concerns. Buy one and try it yourself. We will never leave a customer hanging if our products aren't doing what we say they do.

Feel free to contact me anytime if you have any questions or concerns.

Sincerely
Scott
Scott your silence on a Gen II is deafening.

Reactions: Kaaanged
They turned away a huge number of potential customers but making the control/trigger Bluetooth only and not including or offering as an accessory a remote cable.

If they are reading, fix that for "gen 2"
I thought the same thing when I first saw that the remote was BT. I've now had an Impact since February and have put over 1000 rounds under it using multiple rifles, have run it in a UKD match (CD BOTC) and have never had the remote "unpair" or fail to pair. It's been remarkably reliable.

I thought the same thing when I first saw that the remote was BT. I've now had an Impact since February and have put over 1000 rounds under it using multiple rifles, have run it in a UKD match (CD BOTC) and have never had the remote "unpair" or fail to pair. It's been remarkably reliable.
I have had exactly zero problems with mine, although I do not think I have quite as many rounds with it. Probably not too far off though.

ILya

For me, it wasn’t the Bluetooth connectivity that scared me. It was the fact that it wasn’t connected via a cord and I’m paranoid I’ll lose the remote somehow.

For me, it wasn’t the Bluetooth connectivity that scared me. It was the fact that it wasn’t connected via a cord and I’m paranoid I’ll lose the remote somehow.
Man if only there was something like Kevlar cord you could use to secure it. Oh well. Maybe Vortex will create a solution for you.

• Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
Man if only there was something like Kevlar cord you could use to secure it. Oh well. Maybe Vortex will create a solution for you.

I wasn’t asking them to. But thanks for the tip… you’re the best.

Anyway… they offer ways to secure it which are more than adequate. But my OCD still pings when it’s not attached via cord. That’s all.

The unit has its primary controls directly on it. If by chance you do lose the remote the Impact is 100% usable. It would be a mild inconvenience until you were able to contact us so we could send you a replacement.

The unit has its primary controls directly on it. If by chance you do lose the remote the Impact is 100% usable. It would be a mild inconvenience until you were able to contact us so we could send you a replacement.

Oh I know. My post wasn’t a gripe or a bitch, it was just simply an OCD thing on my part. I bought one when they first came out and it worked fine. And I never lost the remote. Lol

Reactions: Scott_at_Vortex
Are there in indications in industry or rumors on when Vortex or a competitor will release a slimmer, faster, & lighter version? I'm getting ready to pick one up and I have a strong feeling that I'm going to get lab radar'd again at shot show 2025. The impact 4000 feels more like the proof of concept than the final product.
Man...I hear ya. I am sitting here with an impact 4000 in the cart but I keep thinking i'm going to be upset come January lol.

The flip side is that there's always something better right around the corner. At some point, you have to simply say, "am I going to get my moneys worth even if this isn't the latest and greatest?"
One thing to maybe keep in mind is that the Impact has been on the market for less than 10 months. So its still a new product for us. I can say with confidence you have nothing to worry about. Hope that helps.

Feel free to reach out anytime.

v/r
Scott

I wasn’t asking them to. But thanks for the tip… you’re the best.

Anyway… they offer ways to secure it which are more than adequate. But my OCD still pings when it’s not attached via cord. That’s all.
you must have the same luck as me with multi part tools or gadgets

a steel wire fishing lead works good as a lanyard for the remote

@Scott_at_Vortex

Did you guys do any kind of testing as far as batt life having to keep the BT on full time to run the remote vs keeping the BT off?

Thats one of the main reasons if not the biggest why id prefer a cable remote?

And thanks for providing some answers.

@Scott_at_Vortex

Did you guys do any kind of testing as far as batt life having to keep the BT on full time to run the remote vs keeping the BT off?

Thats one of the main reasons if not the biggest why id prefer a cable remote?

And thanks for providing some answers.
Yes sir.We do/did extensive testing. As a result of this, but mainly the design, the first battery I had in my remote lasted almost 3 yrs. This can,of course, vary depending on use case.

As I mentioned previously, I originally had all of the same reservations. Now I'm in the camp of, "why would I want to deal with cables when this works so well?". I don't have to route a cable, I don't have to wish the cable was shorter or longer, and probably most important I can put the remote where ever I want it.

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to reach out anytime!

Best Regards
Scott

Yes sir.We do/did extensive testing. As a result of this, but mainly the design, the first battery I had in my remote lasted almost 3 yrs. This can,of course, vary depending on use case.

As I mentioned previously, I originally had all of the same reservations. Now I'm in the camp of, "why would I want to deal with cables when this works so well?". I don't have to route a cable, I don't have to wish the cable was shorter or longer, and probably most important I can put the remote where ever I want it.

Hope that helps a little. Feel free to reach out anytime!

Best Regards
Scott
Thanks for the reply

Im more interested on how much faster the battery on the LRF itself drains having to keep the BT on so its paired with the control vs off or how it would be setup with a cable / top trigger.

Scan mode BT on vs Scan mode BT off that sort of thing.

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply

Im more interested on how much faster the battery on the LRF itself drains having to keep the BT on so its paired with the control vs off or how it would be setup with a cable / top trigger.

Scan mode BT on vs Scan mode BT off that sort of thing.

Thanks again
Gotcha, its honestly negligible. For example, if you are running the impact for 27 hrs the remote will take up 11minutes of that. Thats assuming you use the remote every 5 minutes during that 27hrs.

Does that answer your question?

Last edited:
I have had an impact for a since it first came out Use it in classes. Treat it like crap. Still have original batteries. Still works great. I have not had a problem with the hook and loop coming off but I also “ Ranger cord” everything

Now that I think about it, I do not think I had to replace batteries on mine and I have had it for a while. I think mine is from the first batch.

I ended up setting up the remote a little differently: it was on a short pic rail. It looked very unnatural on the rather tiny Fix, but worked like a charm. It is about to go on a different gun, so we'll see if I end up changing the setup.

I have a pronghorn hunt this coming weekend, but I plan to use the Razor 4000GB there. Once that is done, wrapping up with the Impact is next on my list. So far, I have nothing, but good things to say about it.

1724294910091.png

Last edited:
I picked one up and after initial setup I had 3 criticisms.
1. This thing is a brick. The scale says it only weighs 1lb 0.6oz, but it feels like 2.5lbs. This thing needs to lose at least 25% of its mass.
2. I was surprised and disappointed that the mount was permanently fixed. I mounted it at 3 o clock on my rail and my scope objective makes it impossible to access at least one of the mount nuts at multiple slots where I was going to mount it. I would like to have changed the orientation by 180 degs, so the nuts were on the opposite side. I would like to replace the mount with a QD ADM style mount.
3. I'm not sure who thought that compass calibration clown dance was acceptable? If its so sensitive to location it needs a "travel mode", where I can place it in that mode and it calibrates itself as it travels in my truck. Why was that not possible?

I'm going to keep this for my WY public land Elk Hunt this Oct. I hope this thing impresses me so much I forgot about these issues.

I picked one up and after initial setup I had 3 criticisms.
1. This thing is a brick. The scale says it only weighs 1lb 0.6oz, but it feels like 2.5lbs. This thing needs to lose at least 25% of its mass.
2. I was surprised and disappointed that the mount was permanently fixed. I mounted it at 3 o clock on my rail and my scope objective makes it impossible to access at least one of the mount nuts at multiple slots where I was going to mount it. I would like to have changed the orientation by 180 degs, so the nuts were on the opposite side. I would like to replace the mount with a QD ADM style mount.
3. I'm not sure who thought that compass calibration clown dance was acceptable? If its so sensitive to location it needs a "travel mode", where I can place it in that mode and it calibrates itself as it travels in my truck. Why was that not possible?

I'm going to keep this for my WY public land Elk Hunt this Oct. I hope this thing impresses me so much I forgot about these issues.
i had my impact mounted at 9 o'clock on a picatinny rail mounted on my scope mount. i used a fast optic riser with the optional adm qd lever to clear the bell of the scope. it was nice to be able to pop it on and off without any tools

here's a pic of the setup , maybe something similar would work for you

i had my impact mounted at 9 o'clock on a picatinny rail mounted on my scope mount. i used a fast optic riser with the optional adm qd lever to clear the bell of the scope. it was nice to be able to pop it on and off without any tools

here's a pic of the setup , maybe something similar would work for you

Maybe, possibly. I bought this primarily for a public land Elk Hunt I have coming up. Mounting on top of the scope would be the ideal location when the rifle is static. However, this rifle won’t be static for the most part. I’m going to try moving it on the rail just past the objective before I spend $175 on the Nightforce RAPi when it likely isn’t the best solution for my application. Or am I completely wrong? Anyone else have experience mounting one of these for a hiking deep into the backcountry on a hunt?

IMG_0377.jpeg
IMG_0376.jpeg

Maybe, possibly. I bought this primarily for a public land Elk Hunt I have coming up. Mounting on top of the scope would be the ideal location when the rifle is static. However, this rifle won’t be static for the most part. I’m going to try moving it on the rail just past the objective before I spend $175 on the Nightforce RAPi when it likely isn’t the best solution for my application. Or am I completely wrong? Anyone else have experience mounting one of these for a hiking deep into the backcountry on a hunt?

View attachment 8491370View attachment 8491371
you could use an ADM AD-170-vpg mount , the fast riser would bias it forward some but the adm would just push it straight out and stay tighter to the rail than the fast mount

the drawback would be pushing it off the rail a little farther, but you would get toolless quick disconnect

i ended up having to move my impact up to a diving board and it works well there , the screen is just as easy to see and i lke the display better in "landscape" than "portrait" orientation