• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Vortex PST 6-24x.....SFP v FFP

InfiniteGrim

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2010
PA,USA
I read someone's review of the FFP version where they mentioned that if it were not FFP the cross hairs would have covered the animal they were hunting which was at 300+ yards.

Now I have searched but I cannot find any picture threads so I thought I might as well just ask.

How thin/thick are the cross hairs of the 6-24 FFP at 6x and 24x? I'm not trying to decide as I already upgraded to the SFP version from another scope. I think I would actually prefer the SFP after using it.

Also how new are these scopes? I just got mine last friday and the serial number was < 150.

Telephone/light pole @ 105 yards....I took these at 6PM, and it is very cloudy. The higher magnifications seems to get cloudy in these pictures but the scope looked fine in person.

6x

IMG_2649.jpg

8x

IMG_2651.jpg

12x
IMG_2652.jpg

24x

IMG_2661.jpg

Re: Vortex PST 6-24x.....SFP v FFP

i got the exact same scope in the FFp. i wish i would have went SFP. the FFP gets bigger as the magnification goes up. i think either you read the review wrong or someone posted wrong.

When I bought my PST I decided to go with the SFP because for my use, I wanted a finer reticle. The FFP reticle at maximum magnification subtends .18 MOA. The SFP reticle subtends .06 MOA at maximum magnification.

I also went with the SFP because of thickness, and the pst at half power you just double. I will use a LRF if I need to range anything

I chose FFP because not only do I want the ability to range with the reticle - I also need the ability to determine correction for the follow-up shots with the reticle. Not to mention the convenience of the turret marks/clicks matching the reticle hash-marks
smile.gif
. All in all, it boiled down to "must have precise value of the hash marks at any magnification (when they are visible
wink.gif
)".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose FFP because not only do I want the ability to range with the reticle - I also need the ability to determine correction for the follow-up shots with the reticle. Not to mention the convenience of the turret marks/clicks matching the reticle hash-marks
smile.gif
. All in all, it boiled down to "must have precise value of the hash marks at any magnification (when they are visible
wink.gif
)". </div></div>

You realize that anything you can do with FFP you can do with SFP right? The turrets are the same too.

The only difference is that the markings are correct at 24x, at 12x you double them, or triple them at 8x. And since the magnification ring "clicks" at 6,8,12,& 24 there is no need to look up at the magnification.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InfiniteGrim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You realize that anything you can do with FFP you can do with SFP right? The turrets are the same too.

The only difference is that the markings are correct at 24x, at 12x you double them, or triple them at 8x. And since the magnification ring "clicks" at 6,8,12,& 24 there is no need to look up at the magnification. </div></div>

Infinite,

When you get out of school, and actually get to spend some time shooting at movers, or making corrections on the fly under time constraints, "like hold 3 moa right"; while your still figuring out what multiple to use; somebody else is already shooting.

Unless and until you've actually shot a tactical match I would refrain from making such blanket statements.

If you never plan on shooting in a tactical match, OK, then you you will never understand the benefit of FFP over SFP. Because shooting under time constraints, at multiple targets, at multiple ranges, and at movers, are just some of the areas where FFP shines......

Once you expand your little world, you will understand the value of things, that today are foreign to you.

Depends if you are a casual shooter and have time to do the math, but under match conditions with multiple targets with different ranges unless you have plenty of time to dial (usually not) you have to hold over, and under a time constraint it's challenging to say the least, throw in a bad bold grab, awkward shooting position, or dropped mag and you just zeroed the stage. Throw in a mover and try to hold over and lead in the mix, really hard! FFP all the way, no looking back.

I take it that learning to hold over with a SFP scope is too hard for some? Hard to believe that shooters could not shoot long range movers, multiple targets, or other excuses until the recent swarm of FFP scopes hit the market. Please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntbambi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take it that learning to hold over with a SFP scope is too hard for some? Hard to believe that shooters could not shoot long range movers, multiple targets, or other excuses until the recent swarm of FFP scopes hit the market. Please. </div></div>

I think you are missing the point. Can you do all those things you listed with an SFP scope?? Of course you can...

Can you do those same things faster, easier, and more effectively with a FFP scope, also no contest.....

Since tactical competitions are still a game, it follows that shooting to win, has some merit. Of course anybody shooting to lose, can use any equipment they desire.

When the price differential between FFP and SFP scopes, 6-10 years ago, was in the $1000.'s, then FFP vs SFP had a valid economic argument, as the price of admission was a solid barrier.

Now with a boatload of FFP scopes coming in under $1.2K, why shoot with inferior technology, for tactical comps???

Because you can, does not really compute.......

I could range and holdover with a VXI with a duplex and friction knobs......

Would I want to with better options available???

FFP or fixed for me baby. The less i have to think about targeting, the more I can apply fundamentals to the actual shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InfiniteGrim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The only difference is that the markings are correct at 24x, at 12x you double them, or triple them at 8x. And since the magnification ring "clicks" at 6,8,12,& 24 there is no need to look up at the magnification. </div></div>

Infinite,

When you get out of school, and actually get to spend some time shooting at movers, or making corrections on the fly under time constraints, "like hold 3 moa right"; while your still figuring out what multiple to use; somebody else is already shooting.

Unless and until you've actually shot a tactical match I would refrain from making such blanket statements.

If you never plan on shooting in a tactical match, OK, then you you will never understand the benefit of FFP over SFP. Because shooting under time constraints, at multiple targets, at multiple ranges, and at movers, are just some of the areas where FFP shines......

Once you expand your little world, you will understand the value of things, that today are foreign to you.</div></div>

I read some dumb schit on here, but this takes the cake. Learn your system and you won't have a problem!

clj and hamr, which matches can we expect to see you at this year so you can school us on how easy to do the calcs in a time crunch under pressure?

I'd be surprised if there were any SFP scopes in the top ten at the Cup, NorCal, ASC, or TPRC this year......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clj and hamr, which matches can we expect to see you at this year so you can school us on how easy to do the calcs in a time crunch under pressure?

I'd be surprised if there were any SFP scopes in the top ten at the Cup, NorCal, ASC, or TPRC this year...... </div></div>

Apparently you don't know what level of mathematics is required for higher level chemistry. Its kind of a big deal. You should Google it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hamr56</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InfiniteGrim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Infinite,

Once you expand your little world, you will understand the value of things, that today are foreign to you.</div></div>

I read some dumb schit on here, but this takes the cake. Learn your system and you won't have a problem! </div></div>

hamr56,

Please, if what I said was such shit, please tell us your "system" and how you do it with your Hawke scope? I read that your a fan......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently you don't know what level of mathematics is required for higher level chemistry. Its kind of a big deal. You should Google it. </div></div>

Did you have to go buy a TI-83 or does your cellphone calculator get the job done?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: XxMerlinxX</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Apparently you don't know what level of mathematics is required for higher level chemistry. Its kind of a big deal. You should Google it. </div></div>

Did you have to go buy a TI-83 or does your cellphone calculator get the job done? </div></div>

Hahaha. I'm not a Harvard student, I don't need a calculator for simple algebra.
laugh.gif
For real though, I do love my TI-84 Plus.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Screw all this NightForce, Viper PST, Leupold, Razor HD, SS FFP vs SFP crap. Just buy a CounterSniper and be done with it.
sick.gif
</div></div>

Sadly the Counter sniper is more expensive then most of the real deal optics.

Doing the math in your head is no problem at the range but when you get into a competition it gets complicated. Multitasking is an understatement, a few things you have to think about are target 1 is at 375 yards moving right to left at 3 mph and you have a 1/2 value wind moving right to left at 8 mph what do I hold for a right to left shot vs a left to right shot? Target 2 is 625 yards but the wind has changed directions and target 3 is KYL 2 moa down to 1/2 moa at 200 yards and did you remember that the wind is back to right to left? Do it all in 60 seconds with your hundred yard zero.

I'll take any advantage I can get, FFP no question.

If somebody doesn't mind doing the work, with an xtra equation, on top of range wind spindrift on long ranges and moving targets and even multiple winds down range(And if so multiple targets, targetdetection and noshoots and more?) that's on them...

I would say KISS comes in to play when the shot counts under timepressure! If a FFP scope can eliminate one equation that is one less error i am likely to make.. ^_^

Oh, new on the forum, and just ordered a PST 4-16 FFP
wink.gif

Saw a picture somewhere taken through the scope at a 1000 yards and scope at 16x and a 12" disktarget was still easely identifiable. That made me settle on my choice of getting FFP ^_^

FFP is the way to go if you are going to do any long range shooting whatsoever. You can find all the subtensions on the vortexoptics.com website for your model, in FFP the subtensions don't change with power. If you are going to use hold offs at all, don't even think about trying to do it with SFP.