Rifle Scopes Vortex PST GII 3-15x44 vs 5-25x50

jorgemac

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2017
Hi, i want to buy this riflescope but I am in doubt which to choose the 3-15x44 or the 5-25x50.
Im not really need 25x, but I think 15x is a bit fair. Ideally it would have been 18x or 20x
In 15x, wich one has better resolution and better eye box?
Thank you very much for replying

I have both. and they are both great... I think it comes down to what you want to do with them. You get a lot more FOV with the 3-15 and a little weight savings. I would say eye box is about the same, and theoretically the resolution on the 5-25 should be better due to the large lens. Side by side it's hard to say.

99PdCKC.jpg

I have both. and they are both great... I think it comes down to what you want to do with them. You get a lot more FOV with the 3-15 and a little weight savings. I would say eye box is about the same, and theoretically the resolution on the 5-25 should be better due to the large lens. Side by side it's hard to say.

99PdCKC.jpg

How have they been tracking?

on the 5x-25X, what would you say is your most used magnification setting?
My fear is I get the 15x and now don't have enough.... or I get the 25x and find for most of my shooting... I dial back to around the 15x range.

almost all my shooting will be at 600yds with a .308.

FWIW, I have an HSLR 5-25x on my .308. Most of the time I find myself at 20x-ish. I find the clarity is better for me backed off just a bit. Its nice to have the higher power over 600yds, but again, the clarity suffers. I would rather have a few less x's and crisp than more x's and fuzzy. I just bought a new Razor and got the 5-20x. I was a bit worried I shorted myself, (prolly more to do with the $$$ involved!) but after talking to a few folks, Im good with my choice still. This will be for a .300 so the max range used will be longer than my .308. The PST Gen2 is a nice scope. I had the opportunity to look at them side by side with the Razor 1 and 2 at the Vortex factory a week or so back. All of them were really impressive. You wont be disappointed.

Last edited:
Had a chance to get behind a 5x-25x PST Gen II this past Monday (I was shooting along side with my 3-18 Gen II Razor). I have to say, I was impressed. Orders of magnitude better glass than the XTR II, and with all the bells and whistles (zero stop, 10 mil turrets, EBR-2C christmas tree reticle, etc.) to boot. 20x seemed to be a good high end mag for the targets we were shooting < 1 MOA @ 700yds.

I think Vortex nailed it on this scope (price point vs. features).

I have the 3-15 on a 22LR trainer so it's a little bit of an odd application. I can say that I've dialed it out to 13+ mils to get to 300 and it goes right back to zero. I set my zero stop at .5 mil past zero for a few reasons (matches Razor and allow me to dial my dope with 25 yd zero).

I would think that you'd be happy with the 5-25... you can alway dial it back I typically shoot around 12-15. You're giving up some FOV but getting a lot more top end. It is super crisp even side by side with my Razor Gen II 4.5-27.

I think that vortex hit a homerun with this one.