• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Vortex Razor 1-6 vs 1-10

Army of One

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2022
California
To those that have owned both, am I the only one that prefers the 1-6?

I owned a 1-6 previously, and "upgraded" to the 1-10 some time ago only to end up wanting the 1-6 back. Can't quite put my finger on the technical aspects regarding why, but what I do know is I can get on target and pull the trigger faster at 6x than I can at 10x.

Not just the Vortex. I've read a number of mixed signals in regards to many 1-10x scopes. Some like them, and many don't. I suspect that a 10x zoom range is perhaps a "bridge too far" with current optic technology. Many suspect that such an optics span introduces as many negatives as it does positives.

A 6x zoom range for example, has produced many great rifle scopes from a 1-6 to a 2-12, 3-18, 4-24. When optics makers go above that zoom range, prices, and optical abnormalities become more apparent.

IMHO and YMMV

The 1-10 is more of a 1 and 4-8.

The 24mm objective is a little small for a 10x scope, and the reticle constraints of wanting a bright, easy to see FFP 1x with a functional 5-10x reticle means that the scope works best in those ranges.

The 1-6 is basically a 1-5x red dot and a 6x drop reticle scope.

I like the K16i because it behaves the same way, same with the K18i-2. (although the exposed turret on the 18i-2 lets you use it as a dialer from 1-8x

No, you’re not wrong, I’ve had both as well, and the 1-10 really left me wanting.

1-6 was solid.

I have yet to try an ATACR 1-8, maybe that’s next.

Reactions: Bakwa
Agreed that Razor 1-6 > Razor 1-10 for the money.
Even if they were the same price... No. I won't quite go that far. But maybe I'd pick the 1-6 over the 1-10.
ATACR 1-8 is still king. I really want to try a Short Dot though.
Many great options!

I got duped into the
The 1-10 is more of a 1 and 4-8.

The 24mm objective is a little small for a 10x scope, and the reticle constraints of wanting a bright, easy to see FFP 1x with a functional 5-10x reticle means that the scope works best in those ranges.

The 1-6 is basically a 1-5x red dot and a 6x drop reticle scope.

I like the K16i because it behaves the same way, same with the K18i-2. (although the exposed turret on the 18i-2 lets you use it as a dialer from 1-8x
I have a K16i, and it's arguably the best 1-6 I have ever owned. Many others have come and gone, but I still have it, and will never part with it.

Reactions: HD1911 and Bakwa
I kinda agree. The SFP simplicity of the 1-6 makes it fast and easy.

The FFP 1-10 ultimately offers greater precision. So for me it depends on what I expect from the rifle.

Watching this discussion closely. I'm torn between the speed and lighter weight of an 1-6x SFP vs the precision and mostly higher weight of a FFP 1-8x/1-10x. It all boils down to use case which is a mix of hogs, coyotes and target with my 14.5" 6ARC gas gun.

I had the 1-10 gen 3 as well as atacr 1-8 on a couple of 14.5" carbines. After a bit I realized I much prefer the atacr over the gen 3. I sold the razor a week or so ago and put another atacr on my rifle.

Atacr reticle is better as well as the eyebox and eye relief. Only thing I liked more on the gen 3 was more of the reticle was illuminated.

Reactions: Tailwater and Bakwa