• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80 spotting scope

LibertyOptics

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2004
Kalispell Montana
www.libertyoptics.com
Hiders,

Even though this spotter has been on the market for awhile, I haven't had the chance to use one. I have had a lot of questions on how this spotter compares to Kowa/Zeiss etc. While I didn't compare the Razor HD to these makes, I did have a local customer come by, and after a few minutes checking one out, took it home.

We looked at targets (homes and buildings) from 900+ to 2000 yards, into a setting sun where the glare was rough.

This spotter is extremely impressive. A sweet, easy to acquire sight picture and top level resolution and color rendition. "Super" clarity and brightness. The eyepiece locks in with a solid click and is very tight to the body even when you unlock it. The spotter comes with a nice case, and overall build quality and optical performance are very, very satisfying.

The customer who took it home is a former 8541 and reported he "easily" spots 5.56mm holes at 500-600 yards with the Razor HD.

I'm confident you will be quite happy with the performance of the Razor HD spotter and recommend it without hesitation. It is 100% made in Japan. This is the most spotter for the money, and would be my choice over the Nikon ED 82 fieldscope or any Kowa below 77mm or Zeiss or Swav 65mm spotter.

Just FYI, since I finally took a gander at one in a field setting.

Scott

Re: Vortex Razor HD 20-60x80 spotting scope

Thank you for the kind words Mr. Berish.

A fairly well known digiscoper did a comparison of the Vortex Razor HD and the Swarovski HD. Here are a couple comparison pics that he took:

blogrzrev3b.jpg

blogrzrev4b.jpg

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the kind words Mr. Berish.

A fairly well known digiscoper did a comparison of the Vortex Razor HD and the Swarovski HD. Here are a couple comparison pics that he took:

blogrzrev3b.jpg

blogrzrev4b.jpg

Scott

</div></div>

What are we looking at here Scott?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the kind words Mr. Berish.

blogrzrev3b.jpg

blogrzrev4b.jpg

Scott

</div></div>

What are we looking at here Scott? </div></div>

I am assuming the comparison of the resolution and detail. But not sure at what distance and magnification this was taken? Most of these spotters perform great 20x and under. It is when you start cranking the mag is when the premium stuff shine.

The Vortex looks very nice from these pictures, but you can see the Swarovski has a finer resolution a little better contrast. The striations are a little washed out compared to the darker Swaro. What would be good is to have that feather at 300 yards and see how it looks with both scopes dialed in at 60x.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the kind words Mr. Berish.

blogrzrev3b.jpg

blogrzrev4b.jpg

Scott

</div></div>

I am assuming the comparison of the resolution and detail. But not sure at what distance and magnification this was taken? Most of these spotters perform great 20x and under. It is when you start cranking the mag is when the premium stuff shine.

The Vortex looks very nice from these pictures, but you can see the Swarovski has a finer resolution a little better contrast. The striations are a little washed out compared to the darker Swaro. What would be good is to have that feather at 300 yards and see how it looks with both scopes dialed in at 60x. </div></div>

If I agree with you, my question is is the difference worth $1000?

In a field setting, for what we are doing, I'd bet not.

At any rate, we sold out after this post so I will either be getting the feedback of happy campers or eating crow.

Ain't skeered!
grin.gif

I purchased one from Scott a couple of months ago, on his recommendation. It's a great spotter worth every penny. A review was posted here. My buddies Swaro is a tad sharper, but not worth an extra $1000 more (to me).

I went out in search of and to buy a Nikon ED 82 fieldscope. This was after reading endless forums about good spotters under 2k. I didn't read very much about the vortex because it wasn't out very long at the time. On my journey I found the Vortex, Nikon ED and Swaro non HD. I compared the Swaro non HD to the vortex side by side before buying the Vortex. The views through the Vortex to me were far greater than the Swaro. At my next stop, I found the Nikon after I already purchased the Vortex; so I set up the Nikon and used it for a good 30 minutes. I left this store knowing, without a doubt, I made the best purchase for my money with the Vortex. I used this scope last weekend in the AZ mountains looking for Elk. I didn't find any but I found a nice mule deer cow and a heard of antelope I followed for 2 hours with no eye strain and great resolution. I would recommend them for anyone. They also have a no BS, have no receipt, your fault (they don't care) they will fix it for free warranty. There warranty is hard to beat anywhere.

Also as a side note, I thought the 75X zoom on the Nikon would come in handy but I spent most of my time at 30-50X zoom so I think the extra zoom would not be necessary.

Hope this helps

Jesse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: alpha6164</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you for the kind words Mr. Berish.

blogrzrev3b.jpg

blogrzrev4b.jpg

Scott

</div></div>

The Vortex looks very nice from these pictures, but you can see the Swarovski has a finer resolution a little better contrast. The striations are a little washed out compared to the darker Swaro. What would be good is to have that feather at 300 yards and see how it looks with both scopes dialed in at 60x. </div></div>

I will try to get a buddy of mine that is swaro pro staff to come to my house and do a 2-300 yd digi-scope comparison on 60x. The photos above are at 20x at 10-15-yds with the camera at 3x, I believe.

Thanks
Scott

My Razor HD 20-60x85 is on the way. I too agonized over what brand might be best. Then I happened to look over the Vortex booth at Sports Inc. That sold me on this scope. I turned down a deal on a Swarovski for this one.

My spotter came in today. I even got one of the new 30x eye pieces with the R/T reticle in it. Pretty cool. Initial impression from doing some scoping outside my house is very positive. I am taking it to a match tomorrow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PM me with price... Also is the reticle in the center or off center? I like the ones that are off center. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott_at_Vortex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is the reticle that is in the 30x WA R/T eyepiece.
Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

ret_razor-hd-spt_30x_rt.jpg

Scott </div></div>

OK. This is not to be construed as a review. I took the scope to a 500 yd F-Class match Saturday afternoon. The wind was at 20-25. It was basically a headwind from about 2 o'clock. I got the carbon fiber bipod with Bogen fluid head too. I was surprised that many other spotters at the match blew over in the wind. Mine did not, though the wind did cause it to shake a lot. I had it in the view thru case and I think that cause a lot of the vibration. At 50x we could see 30 cal holes even in pretty heavy mirage when things settled. Images were very sharp and everyone was impressed with optical quality and overall fit and finish. There was one very expensive spotter there and we could not see holes at 500 with it.
If you want the very best spotter out there (and money is no object) then call Hudisco and get the Ziess military one. It is hands down the best I have ever looked thru. The $5K tag just didn't work for me.
I did not try the 30x WA R/T reticle that day. I did try it at home and it is also very clear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete E</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scott,

Will R/T eyepeice fit any other spotter?

Any idea if Vortex intend bringing out a straight version of the Razor???

Regards,

Peter </div></div>

The eyepiece is specific to the Razor. If there are plans for a straight eyepiece model, it won't be here until 2011.

Scott

Just wanted to bump this thread up. I received the HD Spotter last Friday, from Scott. I ordered the R/T eyepiece as well. The spotter was brought along on a family gathering Sunday at the in-laws. Their house overlooks a valley of 1-2 miles. Everyone had to check out something in view. Definition within 300 yards allowed seeing nail heads on siding. Houses on the hillside @800-900 yards would allow you to see splash on targets or dirt. A highway into town @1 mile(or more), would allow you to identify color or model without problem. Focus was too easy to use. I can't compare to any other makes, but I've never seen definition as good as this.

The above pic is not the actual ranging reticle I received. Mils are marked on evens. 2,4,6,~ up to 18 to the right and on elevation. the other stadia are marked to 5 mil and an additional 10 mil on the post. I haven,t had a chance to use the R/T yet, to confirm the markings.

DogboneS,

Thanks for the feedback! After examining the Razor, I do believe it is the best spotter for the money in a long time. But it performs like a spotter that costs much more, it's not just a value optic. Let us know about the eyepiece; it's the only one we've ever received from Vortex.

Scott

Here is a very lousy cel phone pic of the R/T reticle. The field of view allows to measure 18 mil from the intersection to the right hand side. Basically, the cel phone did capture the field of view. Clarity is not as in my photo. I was bumping the scope, trying to find the focal point of the eyepiece. I tried to get a pic with my full size camera, but couldn't get close enough to the eyepiece.

RTret.jpg

I've been agonizing between buying the Razor HD and getting a Leupold tactical Mark 4. I haven't been able to decide, but given that this scope is about the same price and has higher magnification and HD glass, it certainly makes it a much better contender. Trying to decide if I want the more compact size and ruggedness of the Leup or the HD quality of the Razor. Guess I'll have to decide how much I'm going to pound on the thing.

Had a chance to use the R/T reticle today. I had to sight in my AR-10 @ 100 yards. Set up a large piece of cardboard, and drew some 2" boxes, as well as a two bold black marks, horizontally 36" apart. Spotted the marks at a known 100 yards. Exactly 10 mils in the 30x eyepiece. Appears to work as advertised.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gunswanted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will not be disappointed. </div></div>

I hope not. Scott shipped mine today. Hope I am as blown away by the glass and build quality per dollar, as I was with the Vortex Viper binos I had.

If my wife knew how much money I had blown (invested?) with Scott and Doug in the past month, I would be flying solo most likely. (Just kidding, she knows about (almost) every penny.

Sure is nice to be blessed, or cursed, with the great vendors we have around here.

I have the razor 8 power bin's and they are great. I have alot of fun with the scope. I understand with the wife. Mine thinks I own half as many firearms as I have and she believes they are worth 1/4 of what I have in them
smile.gif

I just let her have a new car every couple years and I get her hand me downs and shes happy!

I here scott is great to deal with. My next scope I buy will be through them.

please, post a review when you get a chance to test it. I like hearing people opinions on them. To this day I have not seen a bad review on any forum of that spotting scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr Scholl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone know if there is a loss of resolution in the angled vs straight body model? </div></div> There is no difference from one to the other.

Scott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Aryan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used this both with and without the reticle. Its an outstanding piece of glass. Reticle was well designed and thought out. Trace was great in it. Changing eye pieces was a snap as well. Well done. </div></div>

Big +1

I went through several lesser-priced spotting scopes before buying a Razor. It is a lot more coin, but I'm very happy with it. Spotting .308 holes at 600 yd was at the extreme limit of detection for my other scopes, even with splatter targets. Not an issue with the Vortex. I also like the fine focus feature, and the ability to rotate the mounting collar so that the eyepiece is turned to the side and is more easily accessible when shooting prone. Very high quality glass and great design/features.

Another +1 for the Razor spotting scope. You can pay more, much more, but can't get much better.

Probably the best value in upper tier scopes considering you can pay double or more for other brands and the returns on the increased investment is diminishing, not to mention subjective.

Here's to Scott continuing to keep selling them out!