Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD LHT (HSR-5i) vs. PST Gen2 (EBR-7C) 3-15x

Cmiracle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2020
Texas
Hello all,
My 18" 5.56 dmr-ish build is nearing completion. I'll mostly be slinging Sierra 77gr handloads out to 550yds on the local range, but I'm also interested in trying the PRS regional club matches at Triple C in Cresson. This will be my first 'long range' setup that I'll be using to learn MIL ranging, ect. on, and I plan on taking it to some classes in the future. A large-frame AR or decent bolt gun isn't in the cards yet.

As for the scopes, I'm really liking the lighter weight of the LHT, but would the HSR-5i be more limiting than a Christmas tree style reticle? The LHT also lacks windage, but I like that sleeker style with one less thing to bump off zero while carrying the gun around?

Finally, to throw a wrench in there, is either of these scopes worth the ~$300 upgrade over an Athlon Ares BTR GEN2 2.5-15X50, which also has a christmas-tree reticle?

PST out of those two options.

The LHT is a great scope but not for the uses you are describing. If it was a lightweight hunting rifle then LHT all the way.

For PRS or any kind of ranging you will want a first focal plane scope and not a second focal plane scope that way recitals stays true to size no matter the magnification.

PST does seem like the way to go.

Get this scope.

That does seem like a great deal, it's only $100 more than the 5-25x Strike Eagle. Why 5-25x over 3-15? All of my shooting experience is behind irons or a 1-6x, so 5-25x seemed like alot for a .223?

I am on the other side looking for a hunting optic. I know the Viper and I was looking at the Razor 3-15 LHT for my hunting rifle. Is there a significant difference in the image quality between the two from Viper to Razor?

The PST II 3-15x44 and 5-25x50 are surprisingly good optics for under $1k. With Vortex warranty you can’t go wrong even if the scope does. Like others mentioned, for the type of shooting you’re looking at you’d be best served by FFP.

I have an lht 3-15 and a pst2 3-15. They're kind of apples and oranges. What specifically were you wondering about?
Really just the glass. I see they are meant for different purposes. It seems like a pretty niche scope that has maybe two or three other competitors, so not like I have much choice, but I was hoping someone would say it’s more comparable to a razor gen ii than the viper line. I had a Midas tac for $550 (I’ve heard equal glass to viper pst gen ii) and would hate to hear that an extra $450 for the LHT doesn’t buy me any more optical clarity.

I've never looked through one of the high mag g2 but the lht glass is nice. Comparable to my other Japanese scopes. It's better than the Viper. The vipers glass is very functional though. Plenty good enough for it's intended purpose. A bigger deciding factor is the Viper is a big heavy scope. My lht is the 50mm objective and it's 20oz which makes for a very handy rifle.

The Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 checked all the boxes for me personally and I have enjoyed it so far. I went with which reticle appealed to me and my needs first, weight was second, then budget. Midway was running a great deal I couldn’t pass up so pulled the trigger on it.