• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD vs Viper HS-LR w BORS

SailorDan

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
I have a M82A1 that has been sitting waiting for glass and I'm pretty much set on Vortex. I have enjoyed my Vortex products and I've been happy with their price/performance point.

I'm looking at a Viper HS-LR 6-24x50 with a BORS included for a little under $1400.

or

I could save up a little more and get a Razor HD gen2 4.5-27x56 for about $1800 and eventually pick up a kestrel to go with it.

==> Is the Razor HD glass that much better than the Viper?

I'm new to long range shooting and think the BORS might be helpful in getting my feet wet. The M82 shoots minutes of VW - not sure how beneficial higher quality glass will be on it. My goal is to spend more time exploring LR shooting and see how far I can go.

Thoughts?

I have a M82A1 that has been sitting waiting for glass and I'm pretty much set on Vortex. I have enjoyed my Vortex products and I've been happy with their price/performance point.

I'm looking at a Viper HS-LR 6-24x50 with a BORS included for a little under $1400.

or

I could save up a little more and get a Razor HD gen2 4.5-27x56 for about $1800 and eventually pick up a kestrel to go with it.

==> Is the Razor HD glass that much better than the Viper?

I'm new to long range shooting and think the BORS might be helpful in getting my feet wet. The M82 shoots minutes of VW - not sure how beneficial higher quality glass will be on it. My goal is to spend more time exploring LR shooting and see how far I can go.

Thoughts?

The Razor is worth it over the viper in glass and build quality. I’m not super familiar with the BORS system but I don’t see what it could do that a ballistic calculator couldn’t

Reactions: diverdon
The Razor is worth it over the viper in glass and build quality.

The turrets on the Razor HD Gen II are very nice and robust. When my eight year old spends half his dry fire session cranking on the turrets I don't worry that he is going to wear them out. I would consider the 3-18 over the 4.5-27 because most of the time most M82's are 2MOA rifles.

Razor is by far the better scope. The glass in the Razor is much better. Regardless, For long range, you want reliable tracking and that’s what the Razor will do much better.

Did not bother with a BORS. Buy a good Ballistics calculator for your phone for $20-30 and a shock-proof/weatherproof case- it will be more versatile.

While the higher models of Kestrel is convenient, all you really need to start is one that can measure density-altitude.

Remember, the Kestrel only gives wind at your position. The rest is up to your reading skills. Use the Kestrel as a learning tool. Walk around with it in your pocket and try to guess wind readings based on environmental observations and use the Kestrel to verify.

Also, build your own log book. It will become invaluable to you as you shoot more. It will become the bible to your rifle.

And of course, practice is the most important thing. It gets expensive, so factor it in.

Sorry, I didn’t realize that you will be shooting an M82. Get the more robust scope - I saw a cheap scope mounted on a 50 cap and it destroyed the internals after the first shot.

I’m not familiar with the accuracy, but I personally would still get the 4.5-27 vs 3-18 if price is not a factor.

You will rarely shoot this at lowest level power, so that’s a wash. Both can shoot at 18x, so you have that that option, and only one can zoom to 27x for spotting. I was able to see hits on steel at 1100 yards with 25x.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
If you are shooting an M82 you might even consider the Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50, it doesn't have the fancy turrets as on the GEN II, and the glass on the GEN II is somewhat improved plus the reticles are more to many shooters' liking, but the Razor HD got them all beat in total elevation and windage with 125 MOAs. Plus that thing is solid, built like a tank both of which will be an advantage shooting the M82 because you'll get way more reach out of it than with the GEN II and it can handle anything the Barrett can throw at it. I got to shoot the M82 A1 while I was in the service and it does well with a solid built scope. Plus another advantage the Razor HD 5-20x50 has is that it won't be as violent on your wallet. If you served in the military you might also want to check out the Vortex military discount program. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm using a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 on one of my rigs and unless someone comes up with another 125MOA total elevation scope with GEN II glass and turrets for a comparable price it will stay on that rig.