• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Vortex torque wrench

Ajwillly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
I'm thinking about buying the vortex torque wrench to throw into my rifle case for reassembling my rifle when I get to my location. Any feedback on these? I assume since it's vortex it will be quality. Thank you!

Vortex does not make torque wrenches. In fact, no scope makers in the U.S. make their own torque tools. If they offer torque tools, these are the tools from Asia, branded as requested by the scope makers. If these tools come from Taiwan, it's a bit better than from China. I suggest you call Vortex and ask about their source for this adjustable torque screwdriver.

Pretty sure it is this model re branded for Vortex by Capri. The specs look decent. Made in Taiwan

https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-C...ue+screwdriver

Capri Tools is mostly a reseller, so Capri has it made for them by somebody else.

Exactly the same torque screwdriver is actually made by Torque Tech from Taiwan:

http://www.tw-tech.com.tw/products-d...ue_Screwdriver

specifically, TT item # TW-262-23

There are also a bunch of copies of the same design, it's common occurrence in Asia. Just matching by the price level, it feels like Capri Tools thing may be made for them by Torque Tech in Taiwan, while Vortex branded tool is likely a China copy, unless Vortex managed to make a miracle deal with Torque Tech. Torque Tech original is quite expensive, $70+ per piece FOB Taiwan on pretty sizable MOQ. I think that a call to Vortex to inquire about source of their tool may clarify a lot of things. If Vortex tool is from China, it does not mean it's all bad. Just another alteration of the Wheeler FAT with more user friendly adjustment scale...

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to actually use it yet, it looks like a pretty quality tool. It comes with a signed calibration sheet as well. The tool is made in Taiwan, it feels very solid and has a nice appearance.

I ordered and received one of these yesterday. Indeed, it is made in Taiwan. However, it has a calibration sheet with the Vortex name on it and an individual name of Tom on the inspection sheet. They recommend sending it back to Vortex once a year for calibration testing. Otherwise, the instructions were lacking basic information such as always storing the device at the lowest setting. The plastic sleeve it was packed in didn't seem ideal for storage so I ordered a small Pelican style weather tight container from Harbor Freight with the pull out foam. My U.S. Government calibrated joints no longer have the feel for the correct torque they once had when I was working with these devices almost daily. Haven't had a chance to use it yet but hope to in the coming weeks and will report back.

Ken Taylor

I would check the range of torque values prior to purchasing one....i didn't and am a bit disappointed in myself as many of the bolt specifications, at least as they pertain to several of my rifles, require values above those stated on this device.

If I were spending that much I would look at the BORKA Tools.
From the Borka website:

Update, February 16,1 A.M. We have to temporarily stop accepting any new orders until we complete and ship a very large number of the currently pending orders. For this reason, we decided to remove all product pages, which have "Add to Cart" functionality. Estimated return to business as usual is early April. Sorry about it.