Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper HST vs PST gen 2 glass

platas

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2020
This may be common knowledge, but I asked my vortex warranty rep to confirm whether the PST Gen 2 glass is in fact the same as the other viper models. On Vortex website all Vipers show the same type of glass treatments so I thought they were the same. In the last prs team match, my HST had notably less clarity than my partner's PST Gen 2. The vortex representative said, "no, they do not have the same glass. Prior to the release of the Gen II the Viper line had the same glass. When we designed the Gen II there was an improvement to the glass. "

I just sent my HST back for warranty work to see if there's anything they can do to improve the clarity of the glass. I'm optimistic and will report what happens.

Reactions: MarkBlue
My HST scopes have never been as clear, as even my gen 1 PST scopes. Always wondered why. I like my hst, and I use it often, but the clarity really leaves something to be desired. Maybe i got me a lemon too ?‍♂️

Reactions: TACC
My HST scopes have never been as clear, as even my gen 1 PST scopes. Always wondered why. I like my hst, and I use it often, but the clarity really leaves something to be desired. Maybe i got me a lemon too ?‍♂️
Last time I used my HS-T I was shooting steel at 1250 into a somewhat dark cliff face.
I was usually able to spot my hits and misses with it but when I switched to the rifle with the Cronus I really realized the glass difference.
But then my HS-T is fairly old and like 1/3 of the price.
My HS-T has been totally reliable and I bought it right as it was first introduced.

Reactions: AMGtuned
On my 2nd HST 4-16x44. My buddy uses the 6-24x50, and admittedly, its clearer than my 44mm model. I have 2, 6-24 ffp PST gen 1 scopes, and they are much clearer than the hst. My 2 Ares BTR make them all look like bottom dollar scopes.

Last time I used my HS-T I was shooting steel at 1250 into a somewhat dark cliff face.
I was usually able to spot my hits and misses with it but when I switched to the rifle with the Cronus I really realized the glass difference.
But then my HS-T is fairly old and like 1/3 of the price.
My HS-T has been totally reliable and I bought it right as it was first introduced.

I honestly can't see the difference in my HST 6-24 and my PST gen 2 5-25. And the turrets on the HST (I know some people hate them) are much more tactile and audible than the Gen 2 - largely because it's only 5 mils per rotation. I do wish my HST had a more updated reticle though. Maybe I just got lucky with my HST...don't know. My Ares btr (which I really like) is no better than either of my Vipers.

For what it is, I have always felt that the 4-16 HST is a great scope. Ive had two and they were flawless.
I have recommended them for a few new shooters or guys that didnt want to spend a month or twos salary on a rifle scope. Everyone has been happy with them. Again, for what they are.

I know I could run one in the fieldshooting comps I take part of, with no problems.
As it is, I am running an oldschool Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x.

Im in the same boat; I have both an HST 4-16 and 6-24 and the clarity on my 3-15 PST G2 and 5-25 PST G2 is noticeably better. The 6-24 HST is what I started shooting long range with so Ill be holding on to it and worse comes to worse it might go on a 22 trainer.
Yea
I ran my HS-T for years and busted my 1000 yard cherry with it.
Even though it’s moa I really don’t feel like parting with it.

PST gen 2 is excellent glass for the money. For my eyes the 3-15 is just a hair better than the 5-25. Ended up going with the 3-15 and couldn't be happier. Out to 1500 yards no problem at 15x. My only problem is I need a 30MOA base to be able to dial out that far with my 7mm RemMag versus a combination of dial + hold

I had a 4-16 hst then I got a 4-16 pst geni and the pst is definitely brighter then the hst. I have looked through many pst genii and they are brighter yet then all three vipers I have owned, 4-16 hst which I sold, but still have 4-16 pst, and 6-24 pst.