Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 vs. Bushnell Elite Tactical DMRII 3.5-21X50

Minimalism Creed

Registered from Germany
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2019
Hello dear Snipershide users,

First of all, in my first post so far, I want to express my big esteem for the very helpful discussions and professional opinions, comparisons and reports here about rifle scopes!
I’d want to use them to finally get a solid peace of mind about the rifle scope I should choose for my future Winchester XPR in 6.5 Creedmoor that I’d want to shoot at up to 1300 yards.
It would be great if you could help me to decide between the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 FFP with EBR-2C reticle and the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMRII 3.5-21X50 FFP with G3 reticle.
Actually for my decision I just need to know if the DMRII is significantly better than the Viper PST Gen II. But it really has to be clearly better to justify it’s (relatively) much higher price!
My requirements are unexceptional reliability and precision, a maximum of robustness, adjustment in MIL/MRAD steps, a illuminated reticle in the first focal plane (similar to the EBR-2C and G3) and a price as low as possible but without limiting my potential performance at this range.
That’s why I’m choosing between those two scopes. But if you know an even better value for the price feel free to mention it!

I’m very thankful for your recommendations and suggestions!

With best regards.

Reactions: Firegrunt03
I have both. The Vortex is on my 22lr. The multiple Bushnells (HDMR2 same thing just different reticle) scopes are on my target and hunting rifles. The Bushnells are tanks. Both have great customer service and quality for the price. Vortex as of late has had a lot of returns for service at my local range. Small sample size so keep that in mined. Both scopes passed my box test and turrets fell good on both. The only reason I have the Vortex is because I got it new for $900. If paying full price, even at $200 more for the Bushnell I would do it. It subjectivity feels better, has a better service record with in the group I run with, and I like the reticle.

Reactions: Minimalism Creed
Thank you for your opinion and the information, Old308!

I would like to mention that I wasn't able to find the DMRII under 1700€ (the Elite Tactical line seem to be very expensive in Europe), so that it's price is at least 500€ higher than the one of the Viper PST Gen II which is relatively a lot more.
Also the Viper has still a much bigger field of view (astonishing big as I'd like to say) and a reticle that is at least as good.

It seems to me that the only thing that the DMRII could have better is optical clarity. But as I said, it would have to be much better to convince me.
If it is comparable I'd go with Vortex.

Could you or anyone else compare it?

Thank you so far.

If the price difference is that much, and this is your first jump into this level of shooting, go Vortex. Spend the extra money on ammo and training. Glass clarity does have an objective test. But it translates poorly to the human eye. So clarity is completely subject in simular tier scopes. Good luck.

Reactions: Minimalism Creed
Having owned nearly all the Bushy high ends except the most recent XRS II and DMR II Pro, i'd honestly give the nod to the Gen II PST. Both the DMR II and HDMR II left a bit to be desired considering what a surprise the LRHS was. Both exhibited a good deal of CA and edge to edge clarity was alright, there was a notable ring around both my HDMR II and my friends DMR II. Resolution is likely a wash between the two (maybe a slight nod to Bushnell) with the high end of the magnification range going to Bushnell, the Gen II PST loses some at 25x. I prefer the turrets on the Gen II PST as well they're nice considering the price. Like the zero stop better on the Bushnell and prefer the locking windage on the Bushnell. Reticle goes to Vortex also but both are very suitable. All in all they're both very good for the money.

Given the situation and price especially get the vortex and save the money is my advice. If they were closer in pricing it might be more difficult.

Sample size of one and all, but my PST 2 blows away the DMR 2 in every way. The DMR 2 had very poor glass that belonged in a $200 hunting scope and it also broke mid-match and wouldn't dial. The PST has good feeling turrets, very clear glass and so far (fingers crossed) has not broken. For the money, the PST 2 has impressed me more than most scopes I've handled.