Rifle Scopes Vortex Viper PST Gen II

Paul1262

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2019
I have read quite a number of posts recommending the Vortex Viper PST Gen II scope. I'm sure that it is an excellent scope however, when I compare the PST 3-15x44 to my Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 I don't see any advantage in trading up. The PST has less eye relief, max elevation and windage of 75 moa and 40 moa for windage compared to 120 moa for both elevation and windage on the Strike Eagle, .8 inches longer, and weighs 4.2 oz more. What am I missing?

I had briefly owned a Strike Eagle LPVO. I don’t remember if it was 1-6x or 1-8x but the image quality was much worse than my Burris MTAC 1-4x that I had to sell it. .

Just looking at the specs, you’d have to infer some of the differences. The Viper Gen 2 is heavier, probably due to better glass and more robust erector. There’s Argon vs Nitrogen purge and a FFP option. I’d bet there’s better image quality, more reliable turrets, zero stop and cleaner manufacturing process. Is the Strike Eagle series made in China?

I had briefly owned a Strike Eagle LPVO. I don’t remember if it was 1-6x or 1-8x but the image quality was much worse than my Burris MTAC 1-4x that I had to sell it. .

Just looking at the specs, you’d have to infer some of the differences. The Viper Gen 2 is heavier, probably due to better glass and more robust erector. There’s Argon vs Nitrogen purge and a FFP option. I’d bet there’s better image quality, more reliable turrets, zero stop and cleaner manufacturing process. Is the Strike Eagle series made in China?
The Strike Eagle is made in China. I did not realize this fact until after purchase. Appreciate your spec observations.

The Strike Eagle is made in China. I did not realize this fact until after purchase. Appreciate your spec observations.

Specs don’t always give the whole story. I have compared a Nightforce NXS to Viper PST Gen II. On paper, everything about the Viper competes with the NXS, but there are just some things that don’t translate to a neat chart. For example, when I use the turrets on the NXS, I can turn and count clicks quickly. On the Viper Gen II turret, I often move an extra click or lose count. Like, I want to go up six clicks and I can go exactly six on the NXS. On the Viper I count “four-five-sixseven?”

The zoom ring is buttery smooth on the NXS and it has a built-in throw lever. The Viper has a weird “click” feel somewhere between 6-8x (no magnification marked at the click).

There are plenty of differences that don’t show up in specs but at the end of the day it’s nice to have so many choices for every budget.

Reactions: Paul1262
Specs don’t always give the whole story. I have compared a Nightforce NXS to Viper PST Gen II. On paper, everything about the Viper competes with the NXS, but there are just some things that don’t translate to a neat chart. For example, when I use the turrets on the NXS, I can turn and count clicks quickly. On the Viper Gen II turret, I often move an extra click or lose count. Like, I want to go up six clicks and I can go exactly six on the NXS. On the Viper I count “four-five-sixseven?”

The zoom ring is buttery smooth on the NXS and it has a built-in throw lever. The Viper has a weird “click” feel somewhere between 6-8x (no magnification marked at the click).

There are plenty of differences that don’t show up in specs but at the end of the day it’s nice to have so many choices for every budget.
Too many choices sometimes.

I’ve played with a couple different PST2 5-25 in the store trying to make up my mind. The turrets are what keep me from buying one. The clicks seem to be very close and soft. As stated above you can lose track quickly. I have an FFL so one of distributors was closing out tango 4 6-24 so I bought one of those. I already had a tango 4 4-16. I don’t have much experience with turrets, but I much prefer the tango 4. My 6-24 has more positive clicks than 4-16. Also I prefer the DEV-L reticle.

I’ve played with a couple different PST2 5-25 in the store trying to make up my mind. The turrets are what keep me from buying one. The clicks seem to be very close and soft. As stated above you can lose track quickly. I have an FFL so one of distributors was closing out tango 4 6-24 so I bought one of those. I already had a tango 4 4-16. I don’t have much experience with turrets, but I much prefer the tango 4. My 6-24 has more positive clicks than 4-16. Also I prefer the DEV-L reticle.
The Tango 4 was recently recommended to me by a friend. Appreciate your observations regarding the scope.

I've had my Gen 2 5-25x50 ffp mrad for about 100 rounds so far, and it holds it's zero great so far. As far as durability, only time will tell. I can say that it appears to be twice the scope, compared to the Gen 1 Viper PST's I have. Another good scope to look at might be the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 ffp mrad or moa. I have one as well, and would say it's a direct comparison to the Gen 2 pst. It seems a little more robust than the PST, but I still prefer the PST reticle.

I've had my Gen 2 5-25x50 ffp mrad for about 100 rounds so far, and it holds it's zero great so far. As far as durability, only time will tell. I can say that it appears to be twice the scope, compared to the Gen 1 Viper PST's I have. Another good scope to look at might be the Burris XTR II 5-25x50 ffp mrad or moa. I have one as well, and would say it's a direct comparison to the Gen 2 pst. It seems a little more robust than the PST, but I still prefer the PST reticle.
I will take a look at the Burris XTR II.

Your welcome on Tango 4. The tango4 you see on sale are the old model which I have, I read that sig changed the turrets and a few other things. My distributor told me sig does little updates to their optics every year, but the new tango 4 is a big overhaul. I don’t know how true some of this is. The sig product catalog has the new tango 4 but no specs. OpticsPlanet has the funky camo xtr2 for $750. Tried to get the wife to let me get one from DVOR when they were $609.

Your welcome on Tango 4. The tango4 you see on sale are the old model which I have, I read that sig changed the turrets and a few other things. My distributor told me sig does little updates to their optics every year, but the new tango 4 is a big overhaul. I don’t know how true some of this is. The sig product catalog has the new tango 4 but no specs. OpticsPlanet has the funky camo xtr2 for $750. Tried to get the wife to let me get one from DVOR when they were $609.
Thanks for the updated information.

Reactions: Kwmtnbiker