Vortex vs Athlon

NewGuy308

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2020
Hi, so I’m between two scopes to put on my REM 700 in 22-250, it’s a 1 in 14” so light and fast it is . I’m between Vortex Optics Diamondback Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x and Athlon Optics Argos BTR Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 6-24x both in mil. Does anyone have experience with both of them that can shed some light for my decision. Or if anyone has any recommendations that’s under the $500 price point. Thanks.

Have friends that run both. Athlon glass is surprisingly good for the price. I personally use the diamondback on my 270 deer rifle and its fine. Have dropped it 15 feet out of a tree stand and it landed on the scope. Shot two does that day and didn’t lose zero.

I have the Vortex Diamondback Tactical on my 10-22 and I hate that scope. The Turrets are mushy and the lack of a zerostop is a huge drawback. If I were to choose again I'd save up and go alittle higher up in price range. I have several Vortex Viper PSTs and Razors so I have no problem with Vortex just that particular scope.

If you're set on FFP, keep an eye out in the PX for a Strike Eagle. I have a Diamondback and a Strike Eagle and the SE is a much better scope.
You don't mention where you are or what and how far you'll be shooting. With a 1-14" twist, you're shooting 55gr bullets max? Maybe 60gr? If you're shooting small varmints under 500 yards, a SFP may be a better option for you. The Viper HST is a great option and can be found used in the $400 range.

I have an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X56 Gen2 and have run it right next to a Vortex Diamondback on my Nephews "beater" gun. We both prefer the Athlon as it looks as good or better and the turrets are crispy clicky. I really like my Athlons and I'm a former Vortex whore.

VooDoo

I would also keep the Arken in mind. People here seem to love it.

For $550 Doug at Cameraland was selling the Athlon Ares BTR 2-15x50 MOA......This is a good scope. I have one. I’m testing it side by side with a PST Gen 2 3-15x44. I’m an idiot for buying both, but I needed to see both in the wild on the rifle to know which I like. It will be hard not to choose the Athlon as I think I can sell the Vortex for more if they seem same/similar.

For $550 you can get a Burris RT15 3-15×50. For $600 you can get the RT25 5-25×56.

FFP, SCR2 grid reticle, locking elevation and windage turrets, best glass I've seen so far in its price point.

This is just my opinion and may not be worth much to you .

The diamond back is an ok value when purchased for 300 dollars .
Same for the Athlon.
Max your budget and move up a bit if its a scope you want for a long time.
Either are an ok choice for a get by scope. I would do the athlon over the diamond back and yes i have had both.
Im a vortex fan but not of the diamond back.
I still have a gen 1 argos i kept and sold the 2 diamondbacks and gen 2 argos.
The gen 1 argos may be the next scope i sell though.

If you're set on FFP, keep an eye out in the PX for a Strike Eagle. I have a Diamondback and a Strike Eagle and the SE is a much better scope.
You don't mention where you are or what and how far you'll be shooting. With a 1-14" twist, you're shooting 55gr bullets max? Maybe 60gr? If you're shooting small varmints under 500 yards, a SFP may be a better option for you. The Viper HST is a great option and can be found used in the $400 range.

I’m in NY, which sucks, so it’s more paper punching than anything else. I just had built a 6.5 creedmoor with a Kahles K624i and I also have a Rem700 in 308 with a Burris XTRii 5-25. I slowly switching everything to FFP and have been wanting to change the scope that’s on my 22-250

I have the Athlon Argos BTR gen 1. Its ok. My buddy has the Strike eagle, I know not the diamondback. The Athlon has crisper turret clicks, about the same glass and the turret marking line up with the lines on the turret tubes, the Vortex lines do not line up.
Neither of us have installed the zero stops yet. Neither of us have done a tracking test yet.

I have the Athlon Argos BTR gen 1. Its ok. My buddy has the Strike eagle, I know not the diamondback. The Athlon has crisper turret clicks, about the same glass and the turret marking line up with the lines on the turret tubes, the Vortex lines do not line up.
Neither of us have installed the zero stops yet. Neither of us have done a tracking test yet.

There seemed to be a group of SE that came with knobs like that. Tell him to get with Vortex and they will send him a new knob that will line up.

I'd wait till the new Athlon Helos Gen 2 comes out.
It has the new .2 MIL APRS6 and equally cool MOA reticles, as well as all the latest desirable features.
It's gonna be my go-to cheap scope, in fact I'm selling all my current Athlon scopes to replace with this one, and getting a couple Cronus BTR G2 with APRS6 reticle.

Last edited:
Reactions: YotaEer
I would recommend a conversation with Doug at cameralandny.com, as he could provide you information on his available options in your price range, and likely a great price as well. Not sure he carries vortex though.

Have you been there? Does he carry a lot of products in stock? I was thinking of going there to check out range finders.

I'd wait till the new Athlon Helos comes out.
It has the new .2 MIL APRS and equally cool MOA reticles, as well as all the latest desirable features.
It's gonna be my go-to cheap scope, in fact I'm selling all my current Athlon scopes to replace with this one, and getting a couple Cronus BTR G2 with APRS reticle.

@gr8fuldoug do you know when will this be in stock and at what price?

Rob01....I know you are a Vortex guy but curious if you have any hands on time with an Athlon Cronus BTR.....and what you thought of it.

Secondly.....I don't have a rifle for it, but I bought a Crimson Trace Series 3......too good of a deal to pass up. Hope it's as good as I've read

Rob01....I know you are a Vortex guy but curious if you have any hands on time with an Athlon Cronus BTR.....and what you thought of it.

Sorry but no time behind one. Just handled. They seem like a very good optic and another good option for people in the price range. Comes down to reticle and features.

Reactions: USMC 308
Athlon has informed us that the new riflescopes will begin shipping in the next couple of weeks

We do carry a fairly large inventory here in the store if you'd like to come on in to get hands on product

Always a pleasure to speak with the members here and offer the sharpest pricing we can

I have a vortex razor and pst. Bought a 4x12 diamond back for my 22 mag. and have been really disappointed in it. I also have a Leopold in that same price range and it is way better just on clarity. I like vortex but not the diamond back. Very short eye relief as well.

I have a vortex razor and pst. Bought a 4x12 diamond back for my 22 mag. and have been really disappointed in it. I also have a Leopold in that same price range and it is way better just on clarity. I like vortex but not the diamond back. Very short eye relief as well.

my next project is a 17 HMR. Either going with the Helos Gen 2 4-20 or PST 3-15. Leaning towards the Helos due to locking turrets

Reactions: WM503rd
I have both and have started to move more toward the Athlon products. Nothing wrong with Vortex but I think you are getting more for your money with Athlon

Reactions: USMC 308
The Chinese scopes from Vortex are their weakest offerings. The Chinese offerings from Athlon are far better. When you bump up in budget to the $1000 mark, things even out, the PST Gen 2 joins the pack, but then the Cronus BTR runs with the Gen 2 Razor for less money. I would challenge you to be patient and save some more money to try and get an Ares ETR or a Gen 1 Razor. They will serve you far better.

Just got a Gen 2 Athlon BTR 2.5-15x50. Setting it up now. Fun stuff. It’s going on a ~20 year old 10-22 Olympic that has never been fired. No need to save it, 2 strokes last month. Now or never. 🤪

Just to let you guys know the truth I've been affiliated with Athlon since their scopes came out. That fact hasn't kept me from voicing my opinion of certain things I did or did not like about Athlon products or any other product from any other company.

The last couple years I bought some riflescopes from other companies other than Athlon to meet various personal needs.

Latest of these purchases is a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 to put on a heavy rifle that I will be required to shoot offhand each match. I ordered it because I figured it must be a great scope since its in the Razor series and that it's only 21.7oz.

My disappointment emerged as soon as I felt the turrets. The elevation turret has more lash than the less expensive riflescopes I've had and on top of that it won't snap down into the locked position without careful realignment so it'll slip into the splines. The windage turret is tiny, mushy, indistinct, and generally like a $200 scope. Although funky I can live with the windage turret since I mostly holdoff but not the elevation turret.

Comparing glass its like looking through Athlon Helos G2 glass. My friend's new Athlon ETR 3-18x50 had superior glass to this Razor so that was another disappointment.

Except that the Helos G2 6-24 is heavy it feels like a higher quality scope than this Razor does. The HG2 turrets are superior in every way.

I try not to say negative things about other Co's but for a $1999 retail scope this is one of those things that shouldn't be!

For $500 you can get a used Bushy ET DMR/HDMR or some flavor. Jap glass, ffp , dead nuts reliable and a good reticle. Also came with a lifetime warranty and chances are if they shit the bed, you will get upgraded to newest model which goes for around $1500.

Only a fool would buy some chinese junk when you can get a real scope for the same price.

Just to let you guys know the truth I've been affiliated with Athlon since their scopes came out. That fact hasn't kept me from voicing my opinion of certain things I did or did not like about Athlon products or any other product from any other company.

The last couple years I bought some riflescopes from other companies other than Athlon to meet various personal needs.

Latest of these purchases is a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 to put on a heavy rifle that I will be required to shoot offhand each match. I ordered it because I figured it must be a great scope since its in the Razor series and that it's only 21.7oz.

My disappointment emerged as soon as I felt the turrets. The elevation turret has more lash than the less expensive riflescopes I've had and on top of that it won't snap down into the locked position without careful realignment so it'll slip into the splines. The windage turret is tiny, mushy, indistinct, and generally like a $200 scope. Although funky I can live with the windage turret since I mostly holdoff but not the elevation turret.

Comparing glass its like looking through Athlon Helos G2 glass. My friend's new Athlon ETR 3-18x50 had superior glass to this Razor so that was another disappointment.

Except that the Helos G2 6-24 is heavy it feels like a higher quality scope than this Razor does. The HG2 turrets are superior in every way.

I try not to say negative things about other Co's but for a $1999 retail scope this is one of those things that shouldn't be!
The Helos g2 is turning out to be an exceptional optic for the price. It beat out the ep5 in eye box and glass and wasn’t far behind my xtr3 5.5-30. If Athlon put it out to compete with the Arken, they knocked it out of the park.

Reactions: koja and steve123
For $500 you can get a used Bushy ET DMR/HDMR or some flavor. Jap glass, ffp , dead nuts reliable and a good reticle. Also came with a lifetime warranty and chances are if they shit the bed, you will get upgraded to newest model which goes for around $1500.

Only a fool would buy some chinese junk when you can get a real scope for the same price.
My friends and I have had many Athlon scopes of all tiers with only a few problems in the lower tier ones. These two scopes were replaced with new ones under the Athlon warranty.

I had three 1st gen HDMR'S.
I won lots of long range matches with them back then. These are decent older FFP scopes though not quite up to the Athlon ETR in a few ways especially in IQ.

I've had to send back 2 Bushnell scopes. One was repaired and the other replaced.

Also had to send back a S&B twice.

Also sent back scopes from other companies.

I wish I could send this Razor back but I'm sure the one they'd return would be just like it.

Reactions: Gohring65
My friends and I have had many Athlon scopes of all tiers with only a few problems in the lower tier ones. These two scopes were replaced with new ones under the Athlon warranty.

I won lots of long range matches with them back then. These are decent older FFP scopes though not quite up to the Athlon ETR in a few ways especially in IQ.

I've had to send back 2 Bushnell scopes. One was repaired and the other replaced.

I wish I could send this Razor back but I'm sure the one they'd return would be
I agree, I’ve had several dmr2s and there’s nothing they offer that even the helos gen2 didn’t do as good or better, like tunneling under 6 power, glass in the bushy was actually blown away in terms of clarity and brightness. Eye box about the same, both track spot on. My Dmr2s were not illuminated so the helos got a couple points for that. I absolutely love the aprs6 reticle compared to the old g3 reticle. Both have lifetime warranties although Athlon seems to be way easier to deal with than Bushnell lately.

Reactions: steve123

I wish I could send this Razor back but I'm sure the one they'd return would be just like it.
Cool Story. Sounds like just about everyone who has been shooting for a long time. Everything breaks.

Telling us you had to send back a S&B or TT really doesn't mean anything. The hotest most perfect women on the planet still has some flaws.

Now lets play a game. What do you think the total percentage of optics returns for say a S&B or TT vs. say Athlon and Arken?

So far, Arken's have a bout a 75% failure rate from all the ones I have seen that just my buddies and guys I shoot with who ran them at one time or another. One buddy (who is on this site FYI) used one until it shit the bed when his Kahles Failed and was waiting for a replacement. Another buddy who owns a sporting goods store, sells athlon, shoots athlon has been through half a dozen on his personal match and rimfire guns. He gets them practically for free and is a 50% shooter so its not like it really matters.

What do you think the failure rate is for TT, S&B, ZCO, NF, ect? If you think its anywhere near close to the chicom garbage, you are delusional.

Athlon is nothing but another vortex copycat, except they don't have a flagship that is worth owning like vortex does. They have tried to copy their business model, peddling the same shitty asian OEM scopes as half a dozen other companies.

IQ doesn't mean shit if the scope can't track, doesn''t have repeatable turrets, the parralax doesn't work or the dioper is stuck. The older bushy ET may not have the greatest glass, but they are stupid reliable. Plus, they aren't much worse than the MK5 optically, which is winning all over the place. All things we have seen with cheap optics that are very common. Can an expensive scope shit the bed? Of course. Is it way less common? Without a doubt.

Look, if you dont shoot often and really don't care to much, then buy all the cheap stuff you want. Its not going to matter to anyone. What you don't see is people who shoot every week or more, cranking on turrets non stop, shooting in all different enviroments pushing the cheap chicom shit, unless they are paid to do it.

The Helos g2 is turning out to be an exceptional optic for the price. It beat out the ep5 in eye box and glass and wasn’t far behind my xtr3 5.5-30. If Athlon put it out to compete with the Arken, they knocked it out of the park.
The HG2's are my current favorite $500 to 600-ish scope.

A club i shoot with started having night matches so I think I'll sell my Midas TAC which lacks illumination and get another HG2 6-24 or 4-20.
Cool Story. Sounds like just about everyone who has been shooting for a long time. Everything breaks.

Telling us you had to send back a S&B or TT really doesn't mean anything. The hotest most perfect women on the planet still has some flaws.

Now lets play a game. What do you think the total percentage of optics returns for say a S&B or TT vs. say Athlon and Arken?

So far, Arken's have a bout a 75% failure rate from all the ones I have seen that just my buddies and guys I shoot with who ran them at one time or another. One buddy (who is on this site FYI) used one until it shit the bed when his Kahles Failed and was waiting for a replacement. Another buddy who owns a sporting goods store, sells athlon, shoots athlon has been through half a dozen on his personal match and rimfire guns. He gets them practically for free and is a 50% shooter so its not like it really matters.

What do you think the failure rate is for TT, S&B, ZCO, NF, ect? If you think its anywhere near close to the chicom garbage, you are delusional.

Athlon is nothing but another vortex copycat, except they don't have a flagship that is worth owning like vortex does. They have tried to copy their business model, peddling the same shitty asian OEM scopes as half a dozen other companies.

IQ doesn't mean shit if the scope can't track, doesn''t have repeatable turrets, the parralax doesn't work or the dioper is stuck. The older bushy ET may not have the greatest glass, but they are stupid reliable. Plus, they aren't much worse than the MK5 optically, which is winning all over the place. All things we have seen with cheap optics that are very common. Can an expensive scope shit the bed? Of course. Is it way less common? Without a doubt.

Look, if you dont shoot often and really don't care to much, then buy all the cheap stuff you want. Its not going to matter to anyone. What you don't see is people who shoot every week or more, cranking on turrets non stop, shooting in all different enviroments pushing the cheap chicom shit, unless they are paid to do it.
I get what you are saying and agree for the most part. I've seen personally or read of every scope brand having problems, I could go on and on about the subject. Most people that have been on SH for many years have also seen it. But I suppose the expensive scopes are more reliable and are superior in a number of ways. Though its a diminishing returns thing because the medium priced scopes hit the same targets even though they are less refined.

If a scope is known to have a more prominent failure rate then we all should avoid it and that's regardless of brand. You pointed the finger to Arken and I hadn't read about the high failure rate but now that you mentioned it I'll research it.

If all one can afford is a certain budget amount then he/she should get the best bang for the buck that meets their needs and preferences as long as it has been known to be generally reliable. In my small sample set of friends, and friends of friends, that's definitely Athlon! In your case its Bushnell and that's fine.

Would I trust a more expensive German or Japanese scope over a Chi scope, "generally so??", and that's why I run mostly Cronus G2's on my better centerfires, as well as March and S&B. I consider the Cronus G2 far superior to this Razor BTW. My Cronus G2's are much more distinct, audible, and line up better. In fact I like the Cronus G2 turrets action better than all my other scopes! I bought this Razor because of its weight and hoped this flagship scope would be better than it is.

Would I feel like I was going to have problems with a Athlon Chi scope of tier HG2 or above at a local match, nope not at all and that's what I have on those rifles. Been running a HG2 6-24 for 3 years on my $4000 rimfire with zero problems. I know a lot of people having used Midas TAC's for years with nothing but praise.
Previous to the HG2 I had that aforementioned S&B on it which broke during a NRL22 match so there's that.

Including the cold bore I got 3 out of 4 hits on a 19x21 plate at edit/1978 yards so I definitely trust my Cronus G2's tracking, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc and Gohring65
The HG2's are my current favorite $500 to 600-ish scope.

A club i shoot with started having night matches so I think I'll sell my Midas TAC which lacks illumination and get another HG2 6-24 or 4-20.

I get what you are saying and agree for the most part. I've seen personally or read of every scope brand having problems, I could go on and on about the subject. Most people that have been on SH for many years have also seen it. But I suppose the expensive scopes are more reliable and are superior in a number of ways. Though its a diminishing returns thing because the medium priced scopes hit the same targets even though they are less refined.

If a scope is known to have a more prominent failure rate then we all should avoid it and that's regardless of brand. You pointed the finger to Arken and I hadn't read about the high failure rate but now that you mentioned it I'll research it.

If all one can afford is a certain budget amount then he/she should get the best bang for the buck that meets their needs and preferences as long as it has been known to be generally reliable. In my small sample set of friends, and friends of friends, that's definitely Athlon! In your case its Bushnell and that's fine.

Would I trust a more expensive German or Japanese scope over a Chi scope, "generally so??", and that's why I run mostly Cronus G2's on my better centerfires, as well as March and S&B. I consider the Cronus G2 far superior to this Razor BTW. My Cronus G2's are much more distinct, audible, and line up better. In fact I like the Cronus G2 turrets action better than all my other scopes! I bought this Razor because of its weight and hoped this flagship scope would be better than it is.

Would I feel like I was going to have problems with a Athlon Chi scope of tier HG2 or above at a local match, nope not at all and that's what I have on those rifles. Been running a HG2 6-24 for 3 years on my $4000 rimfire with zero problems. I know a lot of people having used Midas TAC's for years with nothing but praise.
Previous to the HG2 I had that aforementioned S&B on it which broke during a NRL22 match so there's that.

Including the cold bore I got 3 out of 4 hits on a 19x21 plate at 1928 yards so I definitely trust my Cronus G2's tracking, etc.
I have looked thru the Ares btr, Midas tac 6-24 and the HG2 at 650 yards in direct sunlight and I honestly can discern any difference in the glass when looking at license plates, American flag, and texture on a shingle roof, they all look the same, so I think the HG2 is coming out as the better value for me, because of the more elevation travel then both 30mm options and the illumination with the Midas tac.

I have looked thru the Ares btr, Midas tac 6-24 and the HG2 at 650 yards in direct sunlight and I honestly can discern any difference in the glass when looking at license plates, American flag, and texture on a shingle roof, they all look the same, so I think the HG2 is coming out as the better value for me, because of the more elevation travel then both 30mm options and the illumination with the Midas tac.

It probably has to do with how well each lot of glass and coatings turned out per run of scopes but who knows??
I can see a difference between my MT's and HG2's. The MT's are a tad better in IQ and more like the ETR's than the HG2's. That's just what I notice with mine.

The older 1st gen Ares BTR 4.5-27's I owned had a prescription that didn't work well with my eyes so I sold those and ordered a couple of the Ares BTR G2 versions when they first came out which were much the same in IQ but with improved turrets. I sold them and bought MT's and HG2's and both work well for my eyes. So does the ETR and Cronus G2.

It's possible that Athlon upgraded the spec over the years as well. I've seen Athlon improve scopes from shipment to shipment so an upgrade could have happened without us knowing. My MT 5-25 is already 1.5 years old but the HG2's are 2-3 years old. It might not affect their margins but just a few bucks a scope so its possible they decided to go with upgraded glass on the HG2's to keep things simple across the board but that's just me conjecturing.

I'm looking forward to the Athlon G3's in 2024.

Reactions: Gohring65
It probably has to do with how well each lot of glass and coatings turned out per run of scopes but who knows??
I can see a difference between my MT's and HG2's. The MT's are a tad better in IQ and more like the ETR's than the HG2's. That's just what I notice with mine.

The older 1st gen Ares BTR 4.5-27's I owned had a prescription that didn't work well with my eyes so I sold those and ordered a couple of the Ares BTR G2 versions when they first came out which were much the same in IQ but with improved turrets. I sold them and bought MT's and HG2's and both work well for my eyes. So does the ETR and Cronus G2.

It's possible that Athlon upgraded the spec over the years as well. I've seen Athlon improve scopes from shipment to shipment so an upgrade could have happened without us knowing. My MT 5-25 is already 1.5 years old but the HG2's are 2-3 years old. It might not affect their margins but just a few bucks a scope so its possible they decided to go with upgraded glass on the HG2's to keep things simple across the board but that's just me conjecturing.

I'm looking forward to the Athlon G3's in 2024.
My ares is a g2, the HG2 was purchased late 2022. I’m sure if I really got down to picking them apart I’d find some differences but man they are close. Like very close! I’m glad to hear about some Gen 3s coming, definitely looking forward to that.

Reactions: steve123