Vudoo 360 Live Round Not Extracting

USMC22

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
New Hampshire
Anyone using center x with a vudoo 360 having issues of unfired rounds not extracting?

~1400 rounds through the barrel. No issues before the last few matches. No borescope, I’d drive myself nuts with it but I’m VERY diligent with cleaning the chamber/letting it soak with boretech carbon remover.

Anyone had it develop? Firing the round it extracts. Only center x fed. No other ammo.

Edit to add: I hadn’t been timing out with a round in the chamber previously. Shooting on a range (non matches) I never found myself trying to extract an u fired round.

Vudoo said it may be the result of a dull reamer when finishing the barrel. Offered to touch it up and reassured it’s a quick fix. I’ve been happy with the way it’s shooting so am going to hold off for now where I’m doing the NRL22 matches every month.

UPDATE 8/30/24 with some borescope video and a pic:
Video shows entering the chamber up to the lands and circled around. Looks like a small carbon ring. Not sure about all the other cracking / etc.

IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited:
Anyone using center x with a vudoo 360 having issues of unfired rounds not extracting?

~1400 rounds through the barrel. No issues before the last few matches. No borescope, I’d drive myself nuts with it but I’m VERY diligent with cleaning the chamber/letting it soak with boretech carbon remover.

Anyone had it develop? Firing the round it extracts. Only center x fed. No other ammo.
I'd borrow a bore scope and look or use a brush or JB. Perhaps your cleaning regimen isn't working as well as you hope.
FWIW I can get a nearly black Q-tip after a 30 minute soak with C4 and still have quite a carbon and lead ring in my Tikka (with Eley Outlaw).

I'd borrow a bore scope and look or use a brush or JB. Perhaps your cleaning regimen isn't working as well as you hope.
FWIW I can get a nearly black Q-tip after a 30 minute soak with C4 and still have quite a carbon and lead ring in my Tikka (with Eley Outlaw).
I'm turning a bore brush a stupid amount of times in addition to soaking. I've been holding out against buying a bore scope because I'll drive myself nuts.

I'm turning a bore brush a stupid amount of times in addition to soaking. I've been holding out against buying a bore scope because I'll drive myself nuts.
I'd short stroke the brush in the chamber area Vs turn.
I understand the trepidation on the bore scope, but without it we are only guessing what works or not. I don't go to bare metal every cleaning, but I like being able to check how much cleaning is "enough" Vs guess.

Reactions: USMC22
Any reason on going in and out vs rotating or just a preference?
More effective scrubbing, you are putting the entire surface of multiple rows of bristles across the entire carbon ring.
When turning it you may or may not even be touching the ring if it happened to be between rows.

I'd suggest a Teslong borescope. There are many types, depends on which you prefer - for phone, tablet laptop or 'comes-with' its own screen. All are on Amazon. I've had one for ca 10 years, an NTG100 that cost ca $100 CDN back then, and which back then came with an additional 50" cable along with the 45" that is all that's listed now. Should be ca $60-75 USD now, be sure to get one small enuf for .22cal !! I mostly connect to my 15" laptop so the pics are quite detailed. Here's the bore of my '51 Tula SKS and my "New" unfired 1980 Norinco SKS.
51 Tula-T after 40X cleaner 7-05-21.png

Norinco 1980 SKS Un-Fired 7-25-2024.jpg

I ordered the one you can focus and folds for more compact storage. . . this is NOT good for my OCD and I've fought the urge to get one... the not extracting live rounds has me wondering.

The cable on mine is ca 10 feet total, and I just hang it on the wall of my workshop across a couple pegs a foot apart. It came coiled in a flat box about 1" x 10" x 10", but that made me nervous so I just hang it.

Do you also clean your bolt? Make sure underneath the extractor and tensioner are also clean. And the bolt face is clean.

I use a tesalong bore scope since is a good tool to have but need restrain yourself from
panicking over the look of some bores as long as it shoots good. I never use a bore brush on my rifle but will use a mop brush soaked with C4 cleaner and let it set in the chamber for about a half hour and then clean. I do this about 2-3 times till i see no more carbon on mop brush. Mop brush clean up well in a couple shots of carb cleaner for reuse and they are cheap enough to buy in bulk at gun shows.

Last edited:
You will get over the borescope/OCD issue with time. Every little defect in the bore will make you wonder about the barrel and it's continued ability to sling lead. Just look at the target, and say, "everything is ok". Very very few bores are "perfect". Brand name barrels have those imperfections that you can see with the borescope, but usually shoot better than the shooter.

You will get over the borescope/OCD issue with time. Every little defect in the bore will make you wonder about the barrel and it's continued ability to sling lead. Just look at the target, and say, "everything is ok". Very very few bores are "perfect". Brand name barrels have those imperfections that you can see with the borescope, but usually shoot better than the shooter.
lol thanks. I should print this and tape it to the outside of the bore scope box when it gets here

Last edited:
If you have kids, you’ll likely remember the sonograms. Nothing looked like anything, but the physician could point out all the interesting bits. A bore scope is similar. Remember, you are not a barrel maker, and that you don’t know what you are looking at.

If you have kids, you’ll likely remember the sonograms. Nothing looked like anything, but the physician could point out all the interesting bits. A bore scope is similar. Remember, you are not a barrel maker, and that you don’t know what you are looking at.
Well shit. I bought another thing that’s going to make me look dumb and drive me nuts.

Yeah, 2 kids. It’s like living in a sinking pirate ship.

Seen it with tight headspace where you can get some jams into the lands. Post firing usually extracts. Have a few local guys with mullers that have seen this with certain lots of centerx
I’ve seen issues with center-X in a couple different voodoo and lilja barrels at matches. Same problem with extraction of unfired rounds. We have them close the bolt and fire the round.

There has been a number of references to center X and issues with tight chambers mentioned here in threads over the years.

I doubt that it’s a cleaning issue. It’s an issue of the ammo and chamber used.

Reactions: Williwaw and USMC22
I’ve seen issues with center-X in a couple different voodoo and lilja barrels at matches. Same problem with extraction of unfired rounds. We have them close the bolt and fire the round.

There has been a number of references to center X and issues with tight chambers mentioned here in threads over the years.

That’s what I’ve been doing is closing the bolt, firing and extracting the spent round

Reactions: lash

Except it was fine for ~1400 rounds prior to the issue.

CenterX is my ammo of choice for my Kidd. But, it sticks in the chamber when the barrel gets dirty. I was at a match a couple of years ago and “torching” the last round to clear the rifle on <10 round stages.

Fair enough. I don’t personally shoot CenterX, and was passing on what I’ve noticed.

Edit: so I’m clear, I wasn’t disparaging either CenterX or precision barrels like Vudu or Lilja. I was pointing out that the combination of a tight chamber and that brand seem to show that characteristic in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6.5SH
Edit to add: I hadn’t been timing out with a round in the chamber previously. Shooting on a range (non matches) I never found myself trying to extract an u fired round.

Vudoo said it may be the result of a dull reamer when finishing the barrel. Offered to touch it up and reassured it’s a quick fix. I’ve been happy with the way it’s shooting so am going to hold off for now where I’m doing the NRL22 matches every month.

Will also update when I get the bore scope in if anything stands out.

With what everyone else has said.

I use my bore scope only a few times after I have a new barrel to verify my cleaning sequence is still working. If I change ammo brands I'll repeat this process as well just for verification.

Cleaning sequence for me.

Bore Mop soaked in C4 for 20-30 min. I'll spin it in the chamber a few turns when I am at the end of that time. Then push it the length of the barrel for 3-4 strokes.

Nylon bore brush. Short stroke the chamber 15-20 times. Then run it the full length of the barrel for 3-5 times.

Dry patch till the last patch is clean. Typically 3-5 patches.

I do this sequence every time I shoot. It will take 5-10 rounds for them to settle/ Season back in, but all is great after that. The first 3-4 rounds is all that walk prior to back in 1 hole at 50Y.

Reactions: Big Phish and lash
Common with match ammo in some barrels they engrave hard and the extractor slips off. 2 of my best shooters do it however neither are that action so can't speak to that specifically.
Seen it on my CZ’s and just accepted it. Harder to accept on a custom vudoo but they did quickly offer to take a look and fix it. Where it’s shooting well I’m hesitant to mess with it over the issue.

Does this happen with all lots of center-x, or just a current one you're on? I've had a fully custom rifle, had issues with 1 random lot of CX but none of my other lots.
Started with this lot. Tried one other lot # I have on hand with the same result. I typically buy a case of 5,000 and hope for the best versus trying to find a magic lot and then try to find more of it.