• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Wanting a 6.5 creedmoor for hunting build or buy?

2c1fr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
So I am looking into getting another hunting rifle except this time I want it in 6.5 creedmoor. Goals for this rifle are that Number 1 I want it to be my go to hunting rig I want to know it like the back of my hand, Number 2 I want it to be about 8 ish pounds up to 9 if need be that's with glass, and Number 3 I want to enjoy shooting it in the offseason so given my parameters would you a build or b buy?

For just hunting the Browning Hells canyon speed has caught my eye. Unfortunately I don't think it would be the best range rifle. If you want something that will do both I would suggest a custom. Put all on paper before you ever buy a single piece if going that route it will save you money in the end.

I have heard runor that Cabelas will have the tikka T3 in the light barrel model, 24" barrel in 6.5 CM about now. If I was shopping for a lighter weight hunter thats where I would look.
I have one in .308 due to I was all set up to shoot and load for that and I couldnt be happier with its performance.
Mine is under 8lbs with a basic leupold VX2

For just hunting the Browning Hells canyon speed has caught my eye. Unfortunately I don't think it would be the best range rifle. If you want something that will do both I would suggest a custom. Put all on paper before you ever buy a single piece if going that route it will save you money in the end.

I'm a huge Tikka fan, but other than the CTR which is a little heavier, they don't have a good creed hunting option. The Hells Canyon is pretty slick. I've talked a few co-workers into them and they shoot 1/2moa with the hornady factory 143ELDX's. Action runs nice and the trigger is adjustable.

The problem is what makes a good hunting gun is portability, usually with a thinner barrel. The thinner barrel can't work well in the range. I was thinking a tikka with the factory stock, then get an aftermarket stock for range work. I like my T3 varmint so far. Only dry fired it, but love how smooth it is. Great trigger.

I have a pencil barrel Rem 700 from the 80's. First 3 shots clover at 100...but after, the barrel heats up and goes to shit. Trying to figure out what to do with this gun...

This x1k!

I'm glad they came out with the Lite model, that is great news. OP, I would take a hard look at the ctrx in ss. I have one and it's a great rifle, not to heavy, accurate and pleasant to shoot. It just depends on what you want without paying for labor to make the same thing, other than a different mag or stock and take pretty pictures. Don't let mag prices scare you away, how many do you really need?

Last edited: