Warner Flatline in the 338LM

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    So I had a little time before a class starts again on Friday, so I went and tested the 338 with the 256gr Flatline. WOW!

1300m, 5 shots starting CB. I’m using 95gr of Retumbo in the Ruag cases. Too long to mag feed (4.030”). 9.6 mil up, 25.00inHg, 68F, 16%rh

Attachments

• photo76330.jpg
      photo76330.jpg
      56.8 KB · Views: 36
    Last edited:
    Yeah, the 256 flatline, a pretty neat bullet for sure. I'm still experimenting with loads for these but had some success today at 2500 & 2000 yds on steel (20.4 & 14.5 mils respectively) with 102 grs of Retumbo in my .338AI giving me 3200 fps on the Labradar out of a 32" Krieger. That's at a DA of 7000 (just NE of Gunsite actually). COAL is 4.080 putting this particular load @.020 off the lands. That load would put me at 8.3 Mills @ 1300 meters. A hot load for sure but the Lapua cases stand up to it pretty well with only a very slight ejector mark on one case today (out of 22). Peterson cases seem to actually hold up a bit better with that load (IF they survive the fireforming) due to a slightly larger case volume but at a bit less velocity of course. Still experimenting & want to get my SD'S down a bit yet but these particular bullets definitely show a lot of promise! Holy moley they are expensive buggers though!

Last edited:
    Ya, IÂ’d agree. They seem to also cross the crono with slightly less velocity spread. They run really fast and well, but (for me) fond that they really open up once you find the wall.

I also find the 285 Amax still hard to beat at the edge and past where the Flatlines start opening up (if you sorted them ogive to base and weight). So at those ranges, it starts being a toss up and the frag signature are just so much better with the standards.

I actually also have a few boxes of MTACs and Flatlines IÂ’m planning to toss up on the market place. Not because they donÂ’t shoot great, but because I love the frag signature of standards and cost is so much better on the Amax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

..........."they really open up once you find the wall." Diver, could you expand on this a little?

"I also find the 285 Amax still hard to beat at the edge and past where the Flatlines start opening up (if you sorted them ogive to base and weight)."

Please also clarify what you are stating here. Are you stating that you are sorting the Amax or the Flatline, or both, with respect to base to ogive? I ask this because I don't believe there is any way you could be seeing variation in the Flatline. I also would argue that the weight variation in one box of Flatlines is probably the smallest one will ever find.

Diver, I'm also interested on your experience and comment above. I happen to love 285 Amax, but cannot drive them fast enough in my standard Savage .338 barrel to get past a mile before they start "crossing the wall". On the other hand, I can get to 2200 yards with the Flatlines before they go slow enough to matter. Admittedly, I am handicapped by having a stock Savage 110 FCP with it's somewhat short throat and relatively short 26" barrel, but the BC of the Flatlines, plus the much faster speed I can get really seems to make a difference here at sea level.

Diver, I'm also interested on your experience and comment above. I happen to love 285 Amax, but cannot drive them fast enough in my standard Savage .338 barrel to get past a mile before they start "crossing the wall". On the other hand, I can get to 2200 yards with the Flatlines before they go slow enough to matter. Admittedly, I am handicapped by having a stock Savage 110 FCP with it's somewhat short throat and relatively short 26" barrel, but the BC of the Flatlines, plus the much faster speed I can get really seems to make a difference here at sea level.

Oh, and Dan, having shot quite a few of both, I know that Diver had to be referring to sorting the AMAXes. Your comment about extremely small Flatline variances in a box (and even between boxes in my experience) is spot on. I know that I sort my Hornady 285s by weight and ogive, but do not have to do that with the Flatlines.