Weather data

comanche9

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2006
Tennessee
Where is the weather data more beneficial? From the position your shooting, half way to the target or at the target? Reason i ask is I have a set up that will let me get the weather data out to plus or minus a mile. Im leaning toward setting it up half way but I see a benefit of having it some where on the bullets second half of the leg. Now if i can only find a tripod that will let me get it up to the bullets max ord. I would have this whole wind thing licked.

Re: Weather data

The closer you are to the muzzle the more effect it will have on its final "error"
smile.gif

The more data you have the better. And every environmental condition the bullet encounters will have an effect. So the best system I have come up with is the have a handheld weather station at you location and several windage flags between you and you target.

You need to account for everything at the shooter, mid range and at the target!!

Wind is the single biggest influence on the bullet and while it will effect the round across the entire flight path, there are many things unseen to the shooter that can adjust that effect one way or another.

the only scientific reading you can take without a remove device is at the shooter, unless you set up a series of aids along the path. As you said this would include max ord.

For the most part wind is invisible and you can't see the changes even with trees, grass, and objects in the area. Especially in field shooting where terrain has a huge effect on the direction and velocity which may be different across the flight path. There is no way to see these changes. Even mirage only gives you limited data.

If you watch the smoke in this video, while this is only seconds of the actual demonstration, the smoke moves in completely unpredictable ways that mirage, tress, and grass don't show. This movement along with the hills blocking the wind make 'Reading" wind to within 1 MPH very difficult. The wind was read at both the target and the shooter and still it does not give you the full story.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i3YA2nQMTq4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On the 800 yards shots the wind read at the shooter and across at the target indicated the need for .7 Mils of wind, but the actual wind used to hit the target was .3 mils. Because the wind was being moved, channeled, and even blocked by the surrounding terrain. Terrain is a key element to wind reading.

There is no one answer, there is no one rule and what works on a square range with wind flags every 100 yards does not work in the field. Anything beyond the shooter is a guess, and while experience helps educate your guess, it is still a guess. You can measure it at the shooter, which influences the bullet and has the most time to work on it, or you can guess on everything else. Even with tools down range you would need real time data that would inputed into a ballistic calculator at the moment of the shot. It changes too fast to predict, especially once you go beyond 8 MPH the changes ebb and flow too much.

By 'weather data' do you mean temperature and pressure? In which case it shouldn't matter because neither will change significantly between shooter and target.

I am talking about both. What i have is a kestrel sending data back to my pda running FFS and the data is updating something like 2 seconds. Keep in mind im only looking at this to get no BS data while practicing. The goal here is to get true weather and wind data that will aid in me being able to read it a bit better in a field enviroment. I know im never going to get 100% of what the wind is doind due to terrain and max ord as Lowlight stated above.

The best way to use a Kestrel and practice Wind Reading is to use the Kestrel after you do it yourself and compare.

Letting the kestrel dope the atmosphere is fine, you're not calculating that, but as far as the wind is concerned, for practice you need to do it and only go to the Kestrel after you made your decision.

Walking around the field and saying, "i think the wind is "X" and then pulling out the kestrel to confirm is a better use of the device. You'll see a pattern appear.