• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Weatherby 307 Builders Action

Solo72

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2018
Since there is little to no information out on the new Weatherby 307 Builders Action I'll start with some content.
I won this 307 Builders Action from the Prize table at the Night Force ELR Steel Challenge in Wyoming with a Peak 44 20MOA rail
Trigger Tech Daimond set to 1lbs
MDT Gen 2 ACC Chassis, Ckyepods, Sent It Level, and Various other accessories: Spare Rounds, External Weights, Bag Rider, Adj Shoulder Peice, and MLOK Gas Pedal
NF ATACR 7-35 W/TReMoR-3
Spuhr SP-4002C Mount + Diving Board
Bartlein M24 Profile 1:8 26" 6.5cm Barrel
Thunder Beast Brake
Silencerco Hybrid w/30 Cal Brake + Bravo Adapter
Grey Ops Weights / Shorty Bag Stopper
Ergo 90* Grip
Currently eating Hornady 140gr ELDMs pushing 2798fps

1000023605.jpg

I competed in the SC Plantation House PRS Match last weekend. Didn't get to put more than 120rounds through the rifle before the 1st stage, so I was still breaking it in during the match. Whoever Rx's 50rnds for 6.5 must not shoot competitively as my Rifle didn't break in until 180. Bartlein did very well in grouping but this Trigger Tech diamond DOES NOT WORK WELL AT ALL with this action. This is due to the sealed/non-adjustable sear. You can't change out sear heights without voiding the warranty TT puts on.....I was very surprised as the commercial available weatherby built 307s all come with Trigger Techs, hence why I chose them.

Right at 167 rounds the sear would fail to re-engage/cock-on-close but it wasn't consistent and cost me a bit of points when having to dogleg the bolt and slam it back down to get the action to re-cock. Talked to Trigger Tech/my Smith who put it together. I'm pulling the trigger now to send back to TT.

Last edited:
I scored an ATX R700 Chassis for cheap with a folder and full bridge so I'll be swapping chassis while figuring out this whole trigger situation
1000023836.jpg

Last edited:
Go bix’n Andi pro X, similar things have happened on Impact 737Rs. I have run Diamonds for years and just switched my impact actions to the transport pros . I like the ATX I have one on my Anschutz rimfire.

Reactions: Solo72
Since there is little to no information out on the new Weatherby 307 Builders Action I'll start with some content.
I won this 307 Builders Action from the Prize table...

Good on ya for building it out and posting about it instead of just selling it off. Also thank you for being honest about your trigger issues later on in this thread, things like that will show up in a search and help a new guy steer clear of known issues.

Who did your barrel work? Have they seen enough 307s measure out well enough for shouldered prefits?

Great information, I just picked up this same 307 action to try for shop builds. I have the same exact issue with the trigger tech diamond, totally random no seer engagement. Was not aware of the lack of adjustment until after the fact so I am considering other trigger options.
As far as the action itself goes I think its pretty good, I would build off of this platform again. I did do some measurments and found a few items of concern to keep an eye on.
The main lug face(action face) paint is no good, .0012 run out but after removing paint it was .0005 I dusted the .0005 out on the lathe and moved on.
The main centerline bore diameter was .003 larger in the front over the rear, clearence is not bad (too loose) and lug faces look like very good square contact so no big deal. Over all this action has all the great upgrade features so pretty good deal.

Attachments

• 7mm prc.jpg
    7mm prc.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 36
Good on ya for building it out and posting about it instead of just selling it off. Also thank you for being honest about your trigger issues later on in this thread, things like that will show up in a search and help a new guy steer clear of known issues.

Who did your barrel work? Have they seen enough 307s measure out well enough for shouldered prefits?
The barrel was spun by Owens Armory in AZ, HELL of a shop, super quick work and it was all off a free re-barrel/Muzzlework+ cerekote certificate that came from a prize table....one would think that they would take their time after doing work essentially for free....nope not these dudes, two week turn around from scratch, no information on the action has been published outside of this very forum. Love those guys! 10/10 recommend them for 307 work now that they can officially be vetted with this action. I personally didn't want to go with a prefit option because of how new this is plus after having attended Hat Creek with Brian Morgan earlier this year I asked him about what he looks for with barrels and his legit feedback was (In his own words) "You know we live in a day in age where we have a ton of great options from Proof to Krieger to Bartlein to AI to Schnieder and I'll tell you that I have gotten a bad barrel from each company as companies constantly send me free stuff to ransack. Bad barrels happen, but each of those companies are great for the most part. The most consistent that I have seen are the bartleins as they don't do pre fits, so as long as you got a good Smith who can spin, guarantee you'll be happy and I'm saying that as I am shooting various other barrels across my guns right now".

So I elected for a bartlein, but I know one other guy who's running a stainless proof barrel in an MDT chassis on this and another running a CF proof in an MDT and love their rifles.

I decided, as admittedly I could not get my trigger out last night (Broke two 1/16th punches, tried a center punch...nothing) that I am going to crank up the lbs to 2lbs and see if it will change anything before taking it up to my local precision shop. With feeding a spent cartridge into the chamber to mimmick case engagement, I am unable to get it to give me the same poor results as before (Which is good news I guess, just sucks that I'm taking a 4oz-capable trigger and having to crank it up to 2lbs/32oz).

Great information, I just picked up this same 307 action to try for shop builds. I have the same exact issue with the trigger tech diamond, totally random no seer engagement. Was not aware of the lack of adjustment until after the fact so I am considering other trigger options.
As far as the action itself goes I think its pretty good, I would build off of this platform again. I did do some measurments and found a few items of concern to keep an eye on.
The main lug face(action face) paint is no good, .0012 run out but after removing paint it was .0005 I dusted the .0005 out on the lathe and moved on.
The main centerline bore diameter was .003 larger in the front over the rear, clearence is not bad (too loose) and lug faces look like very good square contact so no big deal. Over all this action has all the great upgrade features so pretty good deal.
Have you tried cranking up the trigger pull to two lbs yet?
This is what Owens said:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240817_124512_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20240817_124512_Messages.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 34
Got everything mated into an ATX-700 AICS! Slapped on 3x internal Weights and 6x External (Tips given from my connection with Pros from AI) and I've already sold the MDT chassis off. Already worth it! I did have to significantly shave the bridge internal screw receptors to clear my M24 profiled Bartlein (Worth it to be able to night shoot)

Attachments

• 20240816_223350.jpg
    20240816_223350.jpg
    718.5 KB · Views: 34
Got everything mated into an ATX-700 AICS! Slapped on 3x internal Weights and 6x External (Tips given from my connection with Pros from AI) and I've already sold the MDT chassis off. Already worth it! I did have to significantly shave the bridge internal screw receptors to clear my M24 profiled Bartlein (Worth it to be able to night shoot)
Surprising, I run hvy varm and comp contours in my atx chassis and there's no interference. 1.250 straight will not go with the bridge.

Here is some extra information on the 307.
overall I would use this action again for builds. With that said here are some items I dont like.
The action shoulder face was painted adding error to the barrel action interface. With the centerline indicated the action face showed .0012 out of square, I removed the paint (coating) and the bare metal was .0005 square. So the part was made fairly well but the paint hurt them. I went ahead and spun the face to zero. lug faces were about the same but I left that for lapping.
The pin holes for the trigger were undersized .001, no way I was beating those pins through there. I reamed the holes to size with little effort. That was about it, not alot of negative for me anyway. Gun shoots great and looks great.

Glad to see some folks with this action. How does it feel running it?

I doubt this would happen but would be nice to see how it feels when running compared to: Origin, Mack Bros, Solus, and the Remington Alpha One.

Myself and anyone I hand it to thinks it feels nice, its as good as my CDG. My opinion is it replaces easily anything Rem 700. I usually build shop guns off rem 700 I get cheap but I would lean to the 307 first in most cases. Just ordered 2 more, 1 short and one more long action.
I still will grab a 400.00 rem 700 here and there but for a new build should someone want it I would suggest the 307 over buying a rem 700.

Reactions: rookie7