• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Weatherby Vanguard Issues!!!

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
Well, my friend bought a new weatherby vanguard series 2 in 257 weatherby and asked me to work up some loads for him. Alright no big deal, well its starting to drive me nuts. No matter what powder (IMR 7828/H1000/RL-22/RL-25/RL-19/IMR4350) Bullet (Nosler 100gr Ballistic tip/Nosler Accubond 110gr/Nosler 115gr Ballistic Tip) all in various charges and various bullet/powder combination i seem to be getting a 3rd round flier that opens up the group from two touching to a 2 1/2" group. All are the third shot and usually up and a little left. The C.O.L is a little longer than factory as i have had best luck in the past with weatherby going just past factory.(i would have to look up the exact specs but im not at the house currently)
DSCF4078.jpg
DSCF4077.jpg
DSCF4076.jpg

Now the one factory group i shot was a few nosler 110 accubond i had laying around
DSCF4079.jpg

But then i can turn around and shoot these groups with my DPMS LR-260 and FNA3G same time so pretty sure its not me.
IMG_0183.jpg

DSCF0310.jpg

Any suggestions? Me? Getting too warm on third shot? Bedding? Scope on it is my leupold VX-3 8.5-25X50 rings are leupold.
Thanks for any help.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard Issues!!!

Ditch the Weatherby? If you can do that with your gas gun, you can shoot. Im not the brightest here, but I have seen few Vanguards that can hold tight groups like what you're looking for. Sell, buy a Remington!

The Vanguard's barrel is likely not free floated. I just bought (2) of these rifles in .223 Rem. for future projects and neither of them are free floating. I would think this to be logical place to start.

In all fairness, my Vanguards are the model that the Vanguard (2) replaced. The new stock may be of better quality and free floated.

If the newer style stock is as bad as the preceding Vanguard model, I personally wouldn't waste my time or money to bed a stock that is at best - functional. An inexpensive Bell & Carlson or Boyd's laminate stock properly bedded would be light years ahead of the factory piece.

Replace the stock if necessary and performance will likely improve.

As much as I love my 700's, I wouldn't tell your friend to abandon the Weatherby just yet. If you can get this rifle grouping 1"-1.5" @ 100 yds., then I'd say you have a good hunting rifle.

Weatherby claims their Series two rifles too shoot under 1 moa guaranteed. I also have a few other of thewre rifles and have not had a issue of getting them to shoot under 1 inch and some too the 1/2 to 3/4. One of which was a 257 weatherby. But get what ya get for $400.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCC135</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's the barrel contour? If it is very light it could be heating up in three shots. </div></div>

#2 Contour, I have 2 Vanguards, 7mm, 308, no problems, both shot under an inch three shot groups, but they will heat up fast, and in order to get another tight 3 shot group the barrel needs to cool completely down. The barrels are not free floating in the factory stocks, I put my 7mm in a Mcmillan A2, and bedded the action and barrel, It would not shoot less then 2 inch groups free floating.

I've had/have the same issue with my 30-06 Howa....the crappy Hogue stock it came with is pretty much toast (bending into barrel).
I've shot 3/8" 3 shots and 3/4" 5 shot groups with previously..(last year)....then hunted a 4th season with it this year - now it's back to flyers/not grouping properly.
(running a Leupy scope/EGW base/Burris xtreme rings)