• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Gunsmithing Weatherby Vanguard re-threaded for Rem barrel?

ranger1183

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2006
Whitefish, MT, USA
I am watching the fall shooting season go by without a rifle. It's my favorite season for shooting yet I am not in the mix. Not a happy camper right now.

However, I have a very expensive barrel made by Krieger and carbon fiber wrapped by ABS barrels. By expensive I mean $330 for the Krieger and another $650 plus shipping for the ABS contouring and wrapping. Ok, so I'm talking about a $1,000 barrel.

ABS Carbon Fiber Wrapped Barrels

This barrel used to be on a Remington 700. That action was sold and now I am running a Weatherby Vanguard action instead. I would like my Weatherby action to be re-cut with the PTG Howa Inch Conversion Tap Mandrel (1.040 x 16) and this barrel mounted on it.

The Krieger/ABS barrel is currently chambered in .308. That works for me. Having the threads set back a little and a match chamber cut would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Are any of you willing to do this work? Do you have that PTG Howa Inch Conversion Tap mandrel to cut the action? And, do you have the time available to get this work done and back to me pretty quickly? I'd really like to get back to shooting again. Price quote would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Re: Weatherby Vanguard re-threaded for Rem barrel?

Dont go this way this the Howa thread is 26mm and 1.5mm pitch and the rem thread is 1.062" 16tpi in metric that is 26.978 with a 1.5875 thread the howa modification tap is not worth buying for one action just have the barrel machined. the best option would be to see if a gunsmith could thread the barrel to the Howa thread. we fit metric barrels all the time here and most gunsmiths should have the back gears to change the gear train to metric this is a better option and can be done off the top of my head i think you also would have to open the counterbore in the back of the barrel aswell but it is possible to do it this way and a much better option.

Hope this helps

Ive done a few Howa to 1 1/6 TPI conversions. Figuring i could set barrels up on shelf ready to fit or screw on with just 1 thread size and only have to set the shoulder back,.

well like all great ideas some times the practice isn't as effective as the theory. It works and if your carefull the therads are nice and true, but to be honest, re threading the action is a whole hell of a lot more work than threading the barrel M26x1.5
If you where near hand i'd say bring the action in and i'll do it for you, but i'm the other side of the pond,..
regards Pete

So let me get this straight, after all the hype regarding how great Howa actions are, there isn't a gunsmith that is experienced or even specializing in re-cutting the action metric threads to standard Remington threads?

Re-threading a Howa 1500 / Weatherby Vanguard

Even though there is plenty of meat on the action to do so and Pacific Tool and Gage even makes the required mandrel to get the job done?

I'm not quite ready to buy that arguement yet.

Reactions: 7WSMShooter

the thing is how much do you want to put into it either way you have to pay for the barrel to have work done on it why have both machined? They are not bad out of the box have the lugs lapped as this realy helps i lapped a Howa last week they come out of the same factory and it started with only one lug mating. after it was lapped i set it up on manderls through the boltway and faced the action. If they are square the barrel will pull up straight against the action and you will be good to go.
if you have the lugs lapped and the barrel fitted you will be good to go.

Is it possible for you to pick up a used 700 action? Right now in the for sale section there is a Surgeon 591 with bottom metal for $1450 and a Remington 700 with bottom metal and trigger already blueprinted for $650. There are a lot of options, a new 700 SPS for $500 or so, the Surgeon RSR for $788 and so on.

I do like the Howa action, don't get me wrong but if you want this fast you may want to think about some other options.