• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What ammo would you suggest to use in a...

Re: What ammo would you suggest to use in a...

Umm.... .22lr ammo. Just kiddin with you.
All I can suggest is depending on what you want to do with it, try out all kinds of ammo to see which one your rifle likes more.
My CZ shoots the bulk pack stuff(Remington 550 pk, and Federal Bulk pack) great for just plinkin at the range. It also likes the Wolf Match ammo.
With my 40X I only shoot match .22 ammo out of it. I have had some good results with Wolf Match Target and the Remington .22 target rifle ammo by Eley.

Hope this helps and have fun with the new rifle.

AS

Just pick up a bunch of different kinds and see what it shoots the best.

I had one that loved the CCI minimags from walmart. And another that loved the Aguila Match ammo. Neither would shoot anything else worth a damn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savmk66</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Mark II BTVS .22lr? I will be getting the rifle this friday and need to know what kind of ammo i should pick up. </div></div>

My exact same gun loves the WOlf Match 22LR. Hard to come by but worth it.

What macman2564 says. Buy different kinds of ammo. I bought for my savage, one box each of remington bulk, federalbulk, winchester bulk, box of 50 of aguila subsonics, aguila standards,fiocchi high velocity, cci standard velocity, mini mags,eley remington black, orange, and yellow label, wolf match, and target, american eagle, pmc match, winchester etc. you get the picture. I would first shoot 10-20 rounds of each brand to kind of season the barrel with each brand than I would shoot for 10 round grouping at 50 yds. After that I run a dry patch through the barrel and repeat the procedure all over again with a different brand. Every rifle likes its own kind of candy. You have to find out what your rifle likes.

I like the Eley Sport. This is not expensive ammo, and it shoots great in everything I own, including my Savage MK II-FVT. I use it from 25 to 200 yards and have shot it as far as 275 yards with very good results. Give it a try, you might like it as well?
smile.gif

Start with cheap performance-oriented ammo and work your way up until you find something your rifle likes. My rifle loves the SK Standard Plus.

I have a Savage mark II BV (same rifle, different stock) and i've seen across the board that there are almost no rifles of this kind that don't like Wolf or SK. As for the cheaper varieties out there, you gotta shoot 'em and see. What works in mine, may not in yours.

Branden

22 ammo test threads has alot of info on mkii's and ammo, including a test i did especially with the mkii and several popular ammos.

i've found if you are shooting 100 yards or more, the best stuff through my mkii is wolf target extra, sk match, wolf match target, sk standard and for around half the price of those and just falling ever so slightly short of them in price, aguila golden eagle match rifle.

I standardized on CCI Standard Velociy Target (Blue Box) as a less expensive alternate to FGMM in my 10/22, then tried it out in my Mossberg 44, Savage MKII sporter, Remington 581, and Winchester 77. Accuracy is acceptable at very least, and indistinguishable from FGMM in my accurized 10/22. Cycling in the Win 77 is marginal, but that is an old gun which always handled High Velocity stuff very well, and I have a boatload of Rem and Fed bulk HV to feed it.

Greg

When I bought my BTVS I went to four different gun shops and managed to find something like 16 different kinds of .22LR. I did five-shot groups with each and the amount of variance was impressive.

Try as many as you can get your hands on, sometimes a cheap one will outdo a costly match ammo.....sometimes.

one thing to add to all this good info. When you do fine that magic box of ammo buy as much as you can of that lot #. (Lot number is KEY).