• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What Ar loads do you guys use?

CK_32

Saving Ryans Privates
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2010
What ammo (brass case) do you guys use for 1:7 cheap CQB practice loads??

And what is the average price for it??

I was looking around midway for ballpark bullets and brass prices to see if maybe I can just load some rounds and save a little $$ rather than buying factory ammo. But the cheapest bullets and brass come out to cost just as if not more than my 175 SMK .308 match loads..

What is up with that? Why is .223 ammo so much $$

Re: What Ar loads do you guys use?

Pick up some once fired brass, or if you can, pick it up at the range for free. I bought some Win brass a while back and it is still holding up after a few reloads.

Hornady bulk pack 250 round count 55gr bullets are not that expensive.

Should fit your needs just fine.

You need to keep looking, there are some deals out there.
$300/k is what brass cased-boxer-55 fmj sells for on the interweb.
If the cases are any good you could then recover about $50 selling them bringing the costs down further.

Look at S&B ammunition for cheap practice.
300/k

I know some people get off on making 2 zillion 223 plinker loads but I use a single stage and would die of boredom before finishing a thousand.

Buy some reloadable ammo for blasting, save the brass for good reloads later on. Why waste good powder, primers, brass and your valuable time purposefully making "cheap" ammo?

I have had good luck with Remington 55 grain UMC loads for plinking.The brass is good and usually shoots better than WWB.The brass in the WWB is better in my opinion but rem is fine.I load H335 24.5 with a 55 grain bullet.Out of my 1/7 Colt 6920 they shoot 1 in @ 100 or better.The powder meters great.I use CCI 41 primers.Hope this helps.

Brass: Scharch, Brassman Sales, Brassman Brass
Powder: H335, W748 or TAC
Bullet: 55gr. FMJ-BT's from Golden West
Primer: Tula/Wolf from Powder Valley

Cheap plinkin' loads by the thousand.

Rich

I go with whatever the cheapest Lake City (Federal) M193 55gr FMJ I can find. I've tried the Wolf and other Russian brand ammo, and found all of them to not only be light loads but also very dirty.

I stay away from the M855 as it's usually more expensive and I can't use it at my range on the steel targets anyhow due to the steel in the projectile.

I would buy 1k of of whatever decent ammo brand is available in your area. Where I am at Federal and PMC sells for about 0.35 per round after you add in tax. I save the brass and load 55gr bulk hornady bullets behind w748 for about 0.20 per round. If I was to shoot more I would most likely just sell the brass. As for why 223 ammo is so expensive right now it is probably supply and demand. ARs are popular and we are fighting a war.

plinking ammo is any brass with any 55gr bullet and 25gr of tac or H335 and any small rifle primer.
match stuff, win brass, BR primer, 24.5 gr varget and a sierra 77 gr SMK at mag length. That load is good to 600yds where I live.

Brass - Lake City
Primer - CCI400
Powder - 22.1 grn AA2230
Bullet - 69 grn SMK or 77 grn SMK

I buy once fired brass. Scharch has some good stuff. You can also buy a package that contains 1000 rounds of 55 FMJ included for plinking.

Barrell is a 1 in 7.7 twist. I also have 1 in 9.