What are the pros and cons of a 22-250?

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
I am wanting another caliber rifle. Right now I have 2 custom rifles in .308 and want something a little different. I was thinking about a 22-250 because ammo is very cheap for it and there is plenty of ammo for it.

Re: What are the pros and cons of a 22-250?

There are some good things to be had with a 22-250. It is a flat cartridge, especially with lightweight varmint bullets, allowing one to use very little hold over out to about 400 or so. With a fast twist barrel on it it can take some of the heavier target bullets out to 1K with no problems. It is a better choice IMO on Coyote size crittrs than the .204 Ruger (I've only shot Coyotes with a 22-250, never with a .204, so I don't have any hard data to back that up, just a personal preference).

Some have used faster twist 22-250s on deer where legal with good results. It is illegal to hunth deer with anything less than a .243 where I was from.

Downside is barrel life isn't near as good as some of the other .224 calibers. The .204 is just as good or perhaps a little better on the little vermin with less recoil.

That is just for starters, I'm sure some in here have some more experiences that they'll share.

I am not the best to answer your question but to get you started I can say it is a verry accurate cartrige. most factory guns have about a 1 in 14 twist barrel and will shoot up to 55 or 60 grain bullets out to 400 yards verry well. With a fast twist barrel they will shoot heavy bullets out to 1000 yards, If I were to replace the barrel or have any work done I would have it chambered in 22-250ai for a little more speed and longer brass life,and it will still shoot factory 22-250 ammo wile it forms your brass.
(diggler1833 I guiss we were thinking about the same thing. i left to fill up my coffie cup in the middle of my reply
smile.gif
And you beat me to it
smile.gif

22-250 is a great caliber. Excellent for woodchucks, P dogs and deer. 55 gr Nosler ballistic tips or Hornady v max are excellent for varmints and such.

I have killed many deer with Remington core loct 55 gr.

Get one, you will like it.

Lapua is making 22-250 brass this year! very flat shooting round, lots of ammo around, Factory rifles have slow twists, so bullets up to 55 grains only will work, Aftermarket 1/8" bbl will let you shoot 75 and 80 gr bullets to 1,000 yards if you want long range. Here is a compamise I have done before if $ is an issue. Buy a 223 Takeoff bbl from a savage or Rem 700 with a 1/9" twist and rechamber to 22-250. BAD BBL Life if you load hot and shoot rapid fir. I know shooters that went doggin' and wasted a bbl in "ONE" weekend. I load down to 223 ballistics for 200 yards and less. All in all, an accurate very fun round.

One of the fellows who shoots at our 600 yard night shoots has a 22-250 with a fast twist, and shoots heavier bullets like 75 grains or thereabouts. He does REALLY well with that rifle. I was surprised that he could do that well, so I asked him about his rifle. That was when he told me about having the faster twist so he could shoot the heavier bullets...sure works fine!

Everyone is spot on..

I had a 22/250 Ackley.

If you build one, go with a fast twist for the heavies.

Down side of a 22/250 is barrel heat.

If I were to do it over again I would go 223 Ackley.

Way better barrel life and more rounds down range before the barrel gets hot. Shootone has a 223 Ai and it is one of the best rifles I have seen. It is a absoulute hammer with Amaxs. APA built it and it shoots in the.1s

Savage is chambering many 22-250s this year with a 1:9 twist. I gotta git one. Thinking predator max 1. Would double nicely as a deer poker.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: .257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone is spot on..

I had a 22/250 Ackley.

If you build one, go with a fast twist for the heavies.

Down side of a 22/250 is barrel heat.

If I were to do it over again I would go 223 Ackley.

Way better barrel life and more rounds down range before the barrel gets hot. Shootone has a 223 Ai and it is one of the best rifles I have seen. It is a absoulute hammer with Amaxs. APA built it and it shoots in the.1s </div></div>

Is the 223 Ackley just as flat as the 22-250 and can shoot just as far?

I shot an antelope in full run 70 yards away he rolled head first, got back on his feet and ran a mile until i could shoot him again. small game works like a charm

The .22-250 is one of my most respected chamberings.

Even in factory guise, I've shot one to levels of handloaded accuracy at 200yd that experienced shooters flatly refused to believe were not shot at 100yd.

I find that, as above, the barrel heating aspect cuts very deeply into its utility as a match chambering, and it's a failing that disappoints me greatly. I think the .22-250's ability to shoot acurately with practically any bullet weight, with the caveat that the rifling twist must be compatible, is a chacteristic that is very, very hard to ignore.

I think that there could be a way to have this cake and eat it.

If one treats the .22-250 as a 'the .223 that could', it takes on a whole new personality.

There's very little reason the .22-250 can't be downloaded to .223 and greater performance levels, intermediate between the two's normal load ranges.

Load density percentages could become an issue, but by using slower than optimal burn rates, the case could be filled more completely without encountering pressure issues, and load density percentage issues could be addressed positively.

Basically, the main problem with the .223 is that it's begging for more case capacity, and the problem with the .22-250 has enough (perhaps excess) capacity to cause heating problems. There's just got to be some way to tame the .22-250 to reach a more happy medium. I believe that creative downloading could be a valid answer.

Going beyond the original question, wildcatting the .22-250 case to 6mm has already been done. Perhaps wildcatting it to 6.5mm and .30cal could render some additionally interesting outcomes.

Greg

While I know it's not perfect to ask this. Given a decent quality factory rifle and decent quality factory ammo, what is "relative short barrel life" in terms of number of rounds. We all know there are many factors, but what is an rough number?

My favorite Song Dog Caliber.

75gr Amax are a blast out of a 1-8 Rock

Picture144.jpg

Picture227-1.jpg
Picture131.jpg

PA301409.jpg

Light bullets have also worked well for me even out of a 1-8 Rock

Picture521.jpg

Lights bullets out of 1-14 twists also have put a few dogs to sleep

Picture782.jpg
Picture540.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but what is an rough number? </div></div>

someone correct me but i would GUESS 3000ish. obviously depending on load and what you consider "wore out"

gilt accuracy starts to go south around 1500 rds in 22-250 and around 3000 in 204, not much difference in coyote kill, biggest downfall is wind drift assoc. with low bc, in both 204 and up thru 60 gr in 22s. browning chrome lined their barrels in .223 wsm to get same barrel life as 22-250,
use a 220 swift, custom sako in 1x14 with 55 gr, at 3900, stock sako 22-250 50 gr vmax at 3600 fps, stock sako (and various ars) 223 with 69 gr, smk will hold better to 600 yds (wind) , lthe fast twist br mentioned above or a 204 br is a better, (a fast twist 6-250 is even better).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but what is an rough number? </div></div>

someone correct me but i would GUESS 3000ish. obviously depending on load and what you consider "wore out"</div></div>

OK, I may look into one for some of my Family to kick around with out on one of the farms. Shooting real flat and not kicking the shooter hard is a priority for the one. Maybe one of those Savages in 1/9 or so would fit the bill.

Thanks.

If you are willing to neck turn cases I have a tight neck 22-250 on a Rem. Trued action,Sako extractor.Hart barrel,and McMillian Htg. in desert tan. Also have brass.It has Kelby base and rings for $1250.00

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opeagle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> but what is an rough number? </div></div>

someone correct me but i would GUESS 3000ish. obviously depending on load and what you consider "wore out" </div></div>

I don't think you will ever see 3000 rounds out of 22-250.
I have one right now that has 1500 rounds through it and it is toast. It didn't give much warning when it died either. It went from shooting .4 moa to 2 moa very quickly.

Even shooting the 75 A-max you think 1500 rounds is it. How about the AI - any better for barrel life? I like mine and think the caliber would really zing with heavy 75's or 80's. My factory twist is too slow though. Still, I love the caliber and a fast twist could be on the way soon.

JamieD
Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

I have never done any testing on barrel life but most say stout heavy bullet loads are tougher on barrels than fast lighter bullet loads. As far as the AI goes barrel life will be shorter. The more powder you burn the faster the barrel is going to burn out.

22-250 is a great cartrige. Get a 1/8 twist barrel so you can shoot the 75-80 grain bullets. The wind really effects the lighter bullets in the 40-55 grain range when you get out to 400 plus yards. As far as being a barrel burner.....just don't rapid fire your strings and let your barrel cool between shots and you will get a longer barrel life. My custom Hart has approx. 2,900 rounds through the barrel and I have just begun to notice some minor accuracy signs. Pat.

I broke out the borescope and looked down my Savage 12LP and with about 600 rounds through her the throat is eaten away pretty good although not completely, and pretty rough too. My quess is I would be lucky to keep her running somewhat good for another couple hundred rounds shooting chucks and that is going to be it. I might try to take some pictures later in the week through the borescope and post the results.

JamieD
Wolf Precision
All Hogs Go to Heaven

I've got a guy at work with one who offered it to me this week and not sure why I want it, but I do. Excellent info in this thread. thanks all.

New here and do not want to step on any toes.

That said...I personally Do NOT believe that the 22/250 is a good caliber for anything other than varmints. A good deer size round??? I respectfully disagree. Possible, yes. In reality I think velocity of bullet and bullet weight would end with tracking wounded deer.
With proper bullet placement it could be done, however that is not always likely in hunting situations. Respect for the game hunted would be to choose a round that has one shot kill.

Sorry to chime in so late, but I am a huge fan of the 22-250 and have had several.

In all reality, I've never had a throat in any of my 22-250s last past 800 rounds. Brass life can be a little short too, due to body taper and shoulder angle. However, the Ackley version corrects these if you want to go that route and decreases bolt thrust at the same time.

With an Oehler 35P, out of a R.W. Hart built 22-250AI on a Rem 700 with 30 inch Hart 1.25 no taper barrel, I got 4050 with 55 gr pills and 4275 with 40 gr pills with some hot handloads. I'm a big advocate of the Ackley mod on the 22-250, not only for the extra speed but also extended case life.

DSC02210.jpg

Pros of the 22-250:
Its a LASER
Its easy to load for
Quality .224 bullets
Inherently accurate

Cons:
Barrel Life
Fairly inefficient cartridge (overbored)
It struggles to beat the 204 Ruger in performance (with <55gr pills)

All in all, if you shoot it all the time, its a barrel burner. If you are the casual hunter/paper punch as most are, you will LOVE the 22-250. When you burn up a throat, set it back and Ackleyize it.

Are there any cons to a .22-250? Okay, but I've never noticed any.

"cheap" ammo? I assume factory? Never used any so I can't address that either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: barnes12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having GA build a 22 250 with the badger detachable bottom, however I have not gotten the call saying that it has been finished. </div></div>

Hell yeah, when things get better with me, I plan to have William Roscoe do my 22-250 build.

Opinions are like ............ well you know the rest.

My grandfather has killed more deer with a 22-250 than any of the grandkids (10) combined and then some. He has a 190" deer on the wall to prove it can smoke them. Placement, placement, placement, thats the secret, doesn't help if you hit them with a 338 Lapua and its in the gut, you are still going to be tracking them.

The fact that some people claim you need a 300WM to kill a whitetail is interesting these days. We can thank the gun rags for that. When you are talking about average shooters/hunters that take deer at "normal" ranges <300 yds, then the 22-250 is fine for that. I have two girls, one who will be going hunting with me next year. When she is old enough to kill her 1st deer it will be with a 22-250.

Nothing wrong with the caliber. It has more than enough to ethically kill a deer. The same could not be said of some "hunters" ......

Just my .02 YMMV

BTW I personally use a 308, but would not hesitate to put one in the boiler room or neck shot with a 22-250.

I shoot .223 with 75 grain A-Max and I've taken deer before all DRT. Most deer kills are taken within 200 yards anyway; so with 22-250 you just add even more velocity and range.

Somebody asked about .223 AI which would give an increase velocity of 200-400 fps, going to 22-250 would give you like 1,000+ fps more.

I'm not very big on light .224 bullets, like 40-50 grain Vmax. Wind carries them off past 400 yards, but 75 Amax/80 Berger VLD/77 MatchKing; all good long range bullets.

It's always funny to hear about a deer you could hit with a shotgun taken with a .300 WinMag. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The .22-250 is one of my most respected chamberings.

Even in factory guise, I've shot one to levels of handloaded accuracy at 200yd that experienced shooters flatly refused to believe were not shot at 100yd.

I find that, as above, the barrel heating aspect cuts very deeply into its utility as a match chambering, and it's a failing that disappoints me greatly. I think the .22-250's ability to shoot acurately with practically any bullet weight, with the caveat that the rifling twist must be compatible, is a chacteristic that is very, very hard to ignore.

I think that there could be a way to have this cake and eat it.

If one treats the .22-250 as a 'the .223 that could', it takes on a whole new personality.

There's very little reason the .22-250 can't be downloaded to .223 and greater performance levels, intermediate between the two's normal load ranges.

Load density percentages could become an issue, but by using slower than optimal burn rates, the case could be filled more completely without encountering pressure issues, and load density percentage issues could be addressed positively.

Basically, the main problem with the .223 is that it's begging for more case capacity, and the problem with the .22-250 has enough (perhaps excess) capacity to cause heating problems. There's just got to be some way to tame the .22-250 to reach a more happy medium. I believe that creative downloading could be a valid answer.

Going beyond the original question, wildcatting the .22-250 case to 6mm has already been done. Perhaps wildcatting it to 6.5mm and .30cal could render some additionally interesting outcomes.

Greg </div></div>

Very solid write up.

One note, "wildcatting" the wild cat up to 30 caliber would net you a 300 Savage.

Historically this chambering goes

300 Savage (factory)
250-300 Savage (factory)
22-250 (wildcat)
22-250 Factory version, which is now standardized

The 22-250 is an awesome round, my dad's is a very neat little package built on a mauser 98 action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sparks1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">New here and do not want to step on any toes.

That said...I personally Do NOT believe that the 22/250 is a good caliber for anything other than varmints. A good deer size round??? I respectfully disagree. Possible, yes. In reality I think velocity of bullet and bullet weight would end with tracking wounded deer.
With proper bullet placement it could be done, however that is not always likely in hunting situations. Respect for the game hunted would be to choose a round that has one shot kill. </div></div>

Thats one opinion... .22 centerfires are legal to use for big game here in Montana. I've seen LOTS of large mature trophy big game animals killed very cleanly and very dead with them. I will admit I dont use my .220 swift for big game much anymore but when I did I never felt handicapped with it. I've killed almost all of my best mule deer bucks with it...