• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What barrel for my AR build

Re: What barrel for my AR build

A HBAR of some sort is awesome in 16" or E.R. Shaw makes good barrels. Model 1 sales uses E.R. shaw barrels in alot of their kits. Take a look at just their barrels. I would use a free float system if your going to build. It's alot easier to build of a free float and makes it better for a quad rail, etc. plus more accurate.

I am looking at a 16" 1-7 mid gas system from Bravo Company. Not sure who makes the barrels for them but I hear good thins and not too expensive so its going in my next build unless I find a nicer for cheaper.

You never said anything about price... If you want to spend some money you could look at Noveske, Sabre Defence, or Daniel Defense. WOA that was suggested is really good too and cheaper than the three I stated above.

WOA and Noveske are both great. If I could find one of those barrels, that would be my first choice. There's a lot of good barrels out there these days. Since you said you'd be happy with a good (as opposed to "great") barrel, you've got tons of options.

I had just bought a Mid-gas Bravo Company 16" bbl but have yet to shoot it.
I cant wait to see how well it shoots.

I have a 18" Sabre Defense 6.5 Grendel barrel on a build and paid almost $600 for it! Included Barrel, YHM Front sight post, Barrel nut and Sabre Gill brake.
It shoots outstanding! I was kinda surprised.
Those guys wait months for Satern and Lothar barrels for their 6.5 Grendel when you could find in stock Sabre 6.5 Grendel Barrels all the time at Rainier Arms and Midway USA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you guys think of Adams Arms and Lothar Walther? </div></div>

I have a lothar walther on my 16inch gun and that barrel is a tack driver. I have a friend that builds uppers and he has used those barrels on at least 6 builds and they all have shot amazing.

Chuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alexander Arms upper. LMT upper...can't go wrong with either of those.

Bravo Company upper is right there with those 2 as well. </div></div>
I didn't ask about uppers.

I have an 18" 1-8 shilen barrel from Rainierarms.com (they make a 16" just like it) and it shoots 1/4 to 1/2 MOA. It is my favorite AR barrel and to me it's a reasonably priced barrel for the performance. Some are WAY over $500. I also have a 16" SS 1-8 from BCM that isn't too far behind. Always under 1 MOA. I like the 1-8. Very accurate with 77 gr ammo and still really shoots with light bullets too.

wow, not one person asked what the ops intention was with said barrel.

- What type of shooting/training do you do or plan to do?
- Is weight a concern?
- Will this be lugged/walked for long durations/distances?
- Expected Accuracy? SS; Chrome-lined?
- Rate of Fire? SS; Chrome-lined?
- What ammunition are you going to use? Bulk: 5.56; .223; Handloads; Match Ammo. Weight of bullet: 40;55;62;69;75;77grn.?
* Will determine: Twist; Chamber; Length?
- What type of sights/optics do you plan on using: Irons; Red Dot/Holo; w/ Magnifier; or High Powered Magnified Optics?
- What distance do you plan on shooting 25/50yards to 300yards; or 300-600yards+?

This will help determine:
- Weight: profile/contour?
- Material: SS, Chromoly w/ ChromeLined Bore & Chamber
- Twist: 1:7; 1:8, 1:9
* I prefer mainly 1:7, but also 1:8 [depends again]
- Chamber: 5.56NATO; Wylde; .223Rem
- Gas Port Distance Length: Carbine;MidLength; 18" Also Rifle Length
- Length: I know you said 16", but again depends if this is for longer distances might be better to add 2"; 18". Also this will depend on ammo. Heavier bullet the more fps variance between the two lengths.

fwiw: A thin pencil barrel to a truck axle bull barrel come in 16" lengths and longer. They are all available for an AR15 in 5.56 to .223Rem & in between, but one barrel is better than the other for _____ app.

Let us know to help narrow your choices down.

Have a great one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alexander Arms upper. LMT upper...can't go wrong with either of those.

I didn't ask about uppers. </div></div>

You asked for good barrels. I gave you uppers that have good barrels. Maybe I should have just listed barrels if that was too difficult to deduce. =/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Elxx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alexander Arms upper. LMT upper...can't go wrong with either of those.

I didn't ask about uppers. </div></div>

You asked for good barrels. I gave you uppers that have good barrels. Maybe I should have just listed barrels if that was too difficult to deduce. =/ </div></div>
Sorry I already have the Upper and everything for the build but the barrel. LMT makes some ok barrels but I have found them to be hit and miss, some are good while others are ok but nothing to brag about.
I have seen great results from the factory Smith and Wessons but for this build I was thinking of a medium range barrel 300-600 yards. I shoot 68-69 grain bullets and was thinking 1-8 twist would be fine but I will most likely go 1-7.
I wanted to stay at 16" but have thought about adding the two for a little better performance.
I am going to run a free float tube so I havn't decided yet on what gas port system. It must be chrome lined I want a 5.56 or .223 WYLDE chamber for sure. Weight is not a big deal for me, I would rather have extra weight and a better shooting rifle than the trade off. Thanks for everyone who has added their input!