What distance do you test your loads at?

Bacarrat

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Jan 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    I know most people will test at 100 yards to test out loads. But does anyone do it at 200 and above? Am I crazy to test my loads starting at 300? I know the further you go out, it's more up to the shooter then the actual load.

Re: What distance do you test your loads at?

FWIW, I always test my load at 100 yards FRIST. I try to get the smallest possible grouping that I can. From there, I then test it at 300, 500 and 800 yards. If there is a question, I know that it's me more than the load. Having said that, some loads do very well at short range and then open up significantly at longer distances. The opposite is also true, especially when you are shooting heavier bullets. It's possible that the bullet needs a little distance before settling down as I have seen bigger gouping at 100 yards, but smaller at 300 yards. IMHO, I think you need to at least test it out to 500 yards if you plan to shoot out to 1K.

I only shoot heavier bullets,so i prefer to skip the 100yd line and start at 200.Ive found to save alot of bullets and powder that way.With that 7mmwsm i see no need to start at 100?just my thoughts though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know most people will test at 100 yards to test out loads. But does anyone do it at 200 and above? Am I crazy to test my loads starting at 300? I know the further you go out, it's more up to the shooter then the actual load. </div></div>

I start at 300, so if your crazy so am I.

Yeah, I have seen that happen to me on a couple of loads with my AR. I figured at 300, it would have less to do with the shooter then it would if I was shooting at 600+ (my range goes from 600-1K). Plus, I don't plan to shoot to much if any at 100 yards with the 7WSM. I hear the VLDs won't always shoot at 100, they need more distance to settle down, and I have mostly 180 Bergers, with some 162 AMAXs thrown into the mix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I only shoot heavier bullets,so i prefer to skip the 100yd line and start at 200.Ive found to save alot of bullets and powder that way.With that 7mmwsm i see no need to start at 100?just my thoughts though. </div></div>

Yes! If the load will be used long range, then I would highly recommend testing at 300. Especially if you are using a heavy bullet for caliber. I have had loads shoot bug hole .2" groups at 100, but shoot crappy at distance. I went with a load that shot .5" at 100, and shot sub half MOA past 300. Sometimes the bullet needs to settle down some, and it takes 200-300 yards before you can see what is actually happening with the load. 100 yards is a good testing distance if you don't have this issue, or are working on a basic hunting load being used inside of 300 yards.

With good conditions ( early a.m. ) 300 yards testing is high on the "it's a good day if" list.

100 yards is OK if you have poor conditions. 300 yards will get your to your goal much faster.

A good goal/load to look for is accuracy in the .5" to 1.0" real tough to do better than that.

What is considered good when shooting in the rain at 300? lol This actually happened to me yesterday. It was raining all day, but it stopped for a couple of hours, so I decided to go chance it and head out to the range to shoot. What can I say, I was bored.. It was raining on the way there but when I got to the range it wasn't raining at all. But what do you know, as soon as I settle down to take my first shot, it starts to rain. Not too surprising, but fuck it. The gun still shot under 1 MOA at 300 in the driving rain.

Well i think weve all been there J,shooting our toys in not so perfect weather.Especially when its a New toy! The question for you is what are you doing typing if the sun is out now?

Trying to earn a paycheck!!! Actually, this week is going to be short for me. Can't shoot this weekend but will be getting some normal range time without rushing to beat the sun or the rain on Thursday. Half tempted to go today but will let the ground dry up after 3 days of rain.

I do basically the same thing, find a load that shoots decent at 100yds then move out to 400 and 600yds for my load testing. I try to do all my long range testing late evening or early morning. The thing I look at is vertical stringing. I try to keep it a low as possible.