• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What do I do? were are you savage guys at?

BECKS7

Sergeant
Minuteman
Guys,I have a savage I just pulled out of the closet,its a MK2 FV or something I dont remember what its called, and I need some info about scope and bases for it.

I just upgraded the scope on my 308 from a bushnell 10X to a nightforce, so I was gonna give the 22 a upgrade to the "nice" bushnell, but I have a problem with the bases it came with, when I mount the scope in it part of the bell housing touches just like two inches back from were the barrel becomes the receiver.

Not sure what to do, I dont think on a 22 it would be a big deal, but I dont know if the scope is even set in the rings the right way.

I got a couple pics, dont know if you can tell though.

DSC00003-3.jpg

DSC00015.jpg

What do I do, what do I need?

I dont know a thing about savage so I thought I would ask.

Thanks guys,
Honkey

Re: What do I do? were are you savage guys at?

new base or new rings, your choice. if you get a new base, get the 20moa one. but if that base isnt higher, you will still need higher rings. my walmart has leupold rings, liberal return policy as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I wanna stay away from taller rings because I have such a hard time, like the worst time getting a even half way decent check wield for it.
Im gonna call the base maker tomorrow and see how high the base is, the bell is just bairly touching. </div></div>

That EGW base should raise it enough to clear.

If that scope is touching the action I can't imagine it's doing anything good for your cheek weld.Just get rings a touch higher and be done with it.OR put a scope on with a smaller objective.

Yes, it's an easy cure. Higher Rings or the EGW Base, or like Exhogflyer said, "put a scope on with a smaller objective." Those are your options, choose one...
wink.gif

That would be a good choice. Like the others I would recommend the 20 MOA EGW Base, this way you can extend your yardage out to and over 200 yards if you'd like to shoot long range .22LR, it's a fun game.

Merry Christmas!
smile.gif

EGW make 2 different 22 bases based on your ejection port opening, 1 3/8" or 1 5/8". Measure it and let them know which one you have, they are good folks to deal with. I got really lucky and bought one of those savages that had the base holes drilled off in the front, so I sent my EGW back and opted for a 2 piece base that came with the rifle. Luckily though, the 10x SS scope has enough adjustment for 200+ yd shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: honkey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I wanna stay away from taller rings because I have such a hard time, like the worst time getting a even half way decent check wield for it.
Im gonna call the base maker tomorrow and see how high the base is, the bell is just bairly touching. </div></div>

Higher is higher regardless of whether it's a taller base or taller rings.

Go for taller rings: less to re-install.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arboreal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After you put some taller rings you might want to buy a Boyd's stock. That will help you get a weld. The factory stock will make a great toy for a child. </div></div>Just checked er out and couldnt find one for my savage that the list.

Soda cans, cut into shims. If the contact is slight, maybe two thicknesses under the base should cure the problem. If not, keep adding shims until you can get the caps on and still get two business cards under them.

If you want to throw money at the problem, by all means go ahead; but this will git 'er done for pretty much the cost of a Coke.

Greg