• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

What does TRG stand for?

Re: What does TRG stand for?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">something Swedish, or Finn ish? </div></div>

Nope, dont think so - I'd assume "Tactical Rifle G"-Something..? Perhaps "Generation", however boring..?

No wonder why people buy AI AW's, at least then you know what it stands for
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does T.R.G. stand for, as in Sako TRG 22 and 42 series rifles? (not your own definition, unless it's a good one!) I would guess Tactical Rifle Group, but I have no clue. And it could stand for something in Finnish. </div></div>
Pretty Ironic coming from you!!! Maybe Tactical Response Group!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG stands for Very Fucking Expensive, in the Swedish language T-R-G is first letter of each word.......LMAO........sorry couldn't resist. </div></div>

Interesting, especially when one considers that SAKO is based in Finland, and the people of Finland speak and write in Finnish.

wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kid_Sampson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG stands for Very Fucking Expensive, in the Swedish language T-R-G is first letter of each word.......LMAO........sorry couldn't resist. </div></div>

Interesting, especially when one considers that SAKO is based in Finland, and the people of Finland speak and write in Finnish.

wink.gif

</div></div>
Yea but you never hear about the Finish Bikini Team, Sweden just seems cooler. I have a whole advert pictured in my head........A beautiful blonde in a fury bikini holding a TRG42 with the caption, "Can you afford me!"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kid_Sampson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Interesting, especially when one considers that SAKO is based in Finland, and the people of Finland speak and write in Finnish. </div></div>

Finland has a Swedish speaking minority.

Swedish-speaking Finns

TRG= <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">T</span></span>he <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">R</span></span>ight <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">G</span></span>un

Yea, I just made that shit up.....................

Keith

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG is for english speakers and stands for Target Rifle G=?
after TR-6 (Target Rifle-6). </div></div>

That would seem the logical explanation but rifle in Finnish is Luodikko. The older SAKO's had all had an L designation like the L461 which was short for rifle. Its realy bugging me not knowing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TRG is for english speakers and stands for Target Rifle G=?
after TR-6 (Target Rifle-6). </div></div>

Looked it up and found the same as you. When Sako went to the TRG they kept the TR portion of the older TR-6 (Target Rifle-6) as you say. The "G" is a designation if you will of the newer Rifle. Not sure what it's for but TR is "Target Rifle" for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> and if that is an any way similar to what TRG stands for I will never be able to pronounce it.</div></div>

That's OK, most people can't even pronounce SAKO(correctly anyhow).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Super Bee 950</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G is the 7th letter of the alphabet.

TR6 would be TRF
TR7 is TRG

Makes sence to me..
</div></div>

Does anyone know if its "TRG" for non-english speaking markets too?
Online translator says "ampumataulu kivääri" is Finnish for "target rifle".

Here you go with the Translation of TRG

TARKKUUSKIVÄÄRIN Riihimäki Gewehr

ie rough Finnish to English Translate

TARKKUUSKIVÄÄRIN=Sniper Rifle, Riihimaki= the town where made in, Gewehr= gun

THere you go

Gewehr is German, not finnish.

My logic says its Tarkkuusivaarin Riihmaki 7(G)......

Online tanslator comes up with "tarkka-ampuja" for sniper, so I think Alaskaman's 2/3 right-"sniper rifle would fit Tarkkuusivaarin, and Riihmaki is definately where SAKO is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gewehr is German, not finnish.

My logic says its Tarkkuusivaarin Riihmaki 7(G)...... </div></div>

When the rep that I met a year a go used that term when I asked, but he spoke fluent Finnish,.

Swedish bikini team, that is one for the mythbusters,

12_swedish_bikini_team_gun_loving_holy_taco.jpg

Not so great really,

http://theswedishbikiniteam.blogg.se/

however here they are for real as of today,

girls that work hard at being all they can be.
grin.gif

As to regards to the TRG issue I think there is still more to be said, remember there was a Sako TRG-S made before the others
yet still as a Swede I can never really tell how the finns are thinking.

Best regards Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">G for 7 would fit most Euro's enumeration coding.....guess we have to wait for the TR"H" to come out to confirm! </div></div>

and 22 for BB.LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ran Gewehr through the Finnish Translator and its not coming up with anything, So I will take back the Gewehr part, </div></div>

It sounds like the Finnish word for rifle, <span style="font-style: italic">kivääri</span>, is a loanword from the Swedish word <span style="font-style: italic">gevär</span>. <span style="font-style: italic">Gevär</span> is, in its turn, a loanword from the Low German word <span style="font-style: italic">Gewer</span>.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6XC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just ran Gewehr through the Finnish Translator and its not coming up with anything, So I will take back the Gewehr part, </div></div>

It sounds like the Finnish word for rifle, <span style="font-style: italic">kivääri</span>, is a loanword from the Swedish word <span style="font-style: italic">gevär</span>. <span style="font-style: italic">Gevär</span> is, in its turn, a loanword from the Low German word <span style="font-style: italic">Gewer</span>. </div></div>

THat might of been what the rep was saying, as I stated, the guy was a bit hard to understand. he said it so fast.

Are you ready?
TARGET
<span style="color: #FF0000">T RG</span>

I emailed an employee from SAKO. (He has been with the company for years) Although he was not sure either, he inquired with a senior designer of SAKO. I gave him a hard time for not knowing of course. He informed him that it was decided on nearly 20 years ago and that unfortunately there was no "tactical" meaning of TRG. Simply pulled 3 letters from the word TARGET.

I had inquired with him a couple years back what the difference was between a couple of the TRG models.

Color of stock?
Black-Lighter layup, lighter in weight, general construction.
Grren-Heavier layup, heavier in weight, designed for the Finnish Army.
Paint finish on the stocks are of different composition not only color.

Through the years, some Green stocks were painted black and vice versa complete orders.

Barrels and Actions are exact with the exception of barrel lug/position post for front sight. And of course finish.

Many minor updates were performed through the years.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't have called IKEA they're Swedish and asked someone there? Sorry I don't know what came over me?

Glad ya'll figured this out. </div></div>

Yes, or someone in Saskatchewan, since many there are Sioux? Same level of relevance if U ask me..
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's OK, most people can't even pronounce SAKO(correctly anyhow). </div></div>

I end up saying Say-ko so people don't get that blank look in their eyes.