What have you wagered?

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Well I thought this would be fun to do and I didn't see any recent thread started about this so I thought I would open one up. I am curious to see what you and your LR and ELR friends have wagered in competitions.

My close friend and I did 800 yards last Saturday. We have set up our competition in a few different styles: speed, grouping, etc. Well Saturday we decided to do least # of shots to take out 5 watermelons.

Our wagers tend to vary from a bottle of fine wine to movie tickets to low end firearms to $10.

This time we just did an equal wager for who has to order the next 500 rounds of .30 cal bullets for reloading.

The shooting began with a tail wind of 7 mph and that kept it nice and easy for us.

It took me 3 shots to dial in and then this (picture credits to my brother for risking his nice camera to have these shots self timed. He used a remote to burst mode the pictures as the spotter radio communicated on fire):

3 shots to dial in (sighted at 300 previously).
3 hits, 1 miss, 2 hits. Total rounds fire was nine. He shot 10
laugh.gif

500 of these bad boys!

Let's hear your stories!

Re: What have you wagered?

The only time I wagered any money was at 100 yards. I had recently bought my first AR-15 w/ a 24' barrel and was not happy with how it shot. Making small talk with the only other guy at the range I said I have seen some people who can really make these shoot well but I don't seem to have the magic. I was not taking the spray and pray approach, 5 round groups fired slowly and deliberately. The guy came back at in a real antagonistic voice and said "If you say that you have no idea what really accuracy is, I only shoot accurate guns."

I noticed immediately he was shooting a bone stock Rem 700 and he got my hackles up. I said "I bet you $50 that I have a gun in my truck that will shoot a smaller 5 shot group than any of the guns you brought with you." He agreed to it thinking he was going to make a quick 550, he probably did not know I had my custom Open class F-class gun in my truck when he made that bet, but than again he should not have been such a dick initially.

I shot my 5-shot group and he claimed there were only 2 shots that he could see and claimed I missed the paper with the other 3 shots, it was one ragged hole, no big deal at 100 yards. So I said "How about I shoot the number "10" out of the next 5 shots?" He agreed still thinking I had missed the paper 5 out of 5 times. After shooting 3 more times he put $50 on the bench and went home without even trying.

Not a big wager but kind of a good story,

wade

My shooting partner and I had a dinner bet who would get our Distinguished Rifle Badge first.

I beat him but this was when CMP was DCM. If you know any thing about the old DCM they were run by the army and didn't have CMPs budget. They were always short of staff and backed up.

The got really behind in the late 80s and early 90s. They hired a temp to get cought up on their Distinguished progrem. When we. got our badges, if you had the points they went by alpbetic order. His name was Sla... mine was Stu.... he got badge 1070 and I got 1071.

I bought dinner.

I can't complain, in reality he was a better shooter, EIC matches are kind of like Football.........Any Given Sunday.

Mostly shooting clays, as i shoot low gun
Skeet is good fun buts its not sporting clays which is just a blast
So most guys shoot skeet gun mounted, pert easy to take their $$ when they try shooting low gun
My fav low gun on station 8, thats always an easy $20

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lou Boyd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's not much excitement in wagering a few dollars after you've wagered your life in combat. </div></div>

Kind of a show stopper here.

Glad you won!

Well as i,m retired mil with numerous combat deployments, i never considered any deployment "a wager on my life"
Then again i never considered a rag head fighter to be anywhere as trained nor my equal in any combat situation.
Kinda a one sided bet
So your remark means little, lot of combat vets here
that still enjoy a friendly wager, like myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is some very nice photography. </div></div>

Thank you.

Some great stories so far guys, I would love to hear more.

My shooting buddy won a steak dinner in a bet that he couldn't hit a 12" steel plate at 200-yards with his 45ACP pistol. He pratices that shot all the time, and it's fairly easy to do for him. I actually hit it with his pistol the first time trying when he told me what the hold was.

We have a fairly large group of shooters that gets together once a month for our "money shoot." Everybody puts $1 into the pot and get one shot. We usually start at 800yds with an 8" plate. If multiple people hit it there's a shoot off and each shooter puts in another $1 until someone wins.

We usually do something different for the shoot off like, weak side, kneeling, shooting sticks, just to keep it different.

We've had some $40-50 pots before although it's usually three or four guys putting in money for the shoot off. Lots of fun and cheap.

I've won some beer money for sure.....

My usual wager for the day consists of some iteration of the dot-drill and a BBQ joint near the range. Buddy of mine uses his 10/22 at 50yds and I ride my 700 at 200y (long island has short, short ranges), and between switching back and forth, we eventually settle on a winner, who buys the food. Loser buys the beer. Similar thing happens when I shoot with my dad, save that he uses his AR.

Another bet was a friend who figured that my old '29 Mosin couldn't hit a thing at 200yds (I was just starting out, and loved owning a bit of machinery from well before my time). I promptly loaded 5, and put them all on a shoot-N-C target at the requested range. It was not an impressive group, and didn't take any real skill, but it was satisfying to see old equipment work well, and hey, free Guinness to boot.

My favorite so far though involved taking my future wife to the range. She didn't quite believe that anyone, or anything, could accurately hit 1" targets at 100yds. The concept of precisely aiming a bit of flying metal just seemed far-fetched, and moreso, a waste of time. I gingerly prodded her into accompanying me to the range, borrowed my Dad's RRA AR with a 6x fixed scope, and let her rip at the target. She had a wide spread (about 6" or so), and seemed to think that firearms were only that accurate. I wagered her that I could take her target off the backer from where I sat, and if I did, she'd have to stop whining about me enjoying guns. She agreed, and I proceeded to shoot the clothespins holding the target to the backboard. 4 rounds from dads AR, and the 4 clothespins were gone (in fairness, the target fell off when the 3rd got hit, but, I shot the 4th for posterity). She has since let me shoot my hearts content. Plus, I usually only average about 0.8 MOA, so actually hitting 4 consecutive clothespins from a 6x fixed power scope on a stock AR was quite nice.