• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What is an exceptional group at 1 mile?

Here is a 10 shot group at a mile that I shot with a 300 Norma.

IMG_4887.jpg

1 mile is where the going gets tough, real tough. Hitting that target depends on all the usual factors magnified by the range. A great group is 1 MOA - absolutely outstanding at that range - so about 18 inches, but how many shots? the more the merrier LOL. Wind is the critical factor. And repeatability. And variability. Good luck!

We have an old filing cabinet set at 1mile. They're about the size of a MANageable area to shoot and test your fundamentals. A 1 drawer group is a great feeling. Plus, you can fill the bottom one with dirt so it stays upright, and cycle the drawers when they get all shot up.

We have an old filing cabinet set at 1mile. They're about the size of a MANageable area to shoot and test your fundamentals. A 1 drawer group is a great feeling. Plus, you can fill the bottom one with dirt so it stays upright, and cycle the drawers when they get all shot up.
I love to try a mile that would be awesome - but first I need to do the LRSU milk jug challenge..

I love to try a mile that would be awesome - but first I need to do the LRSU milk jug challenge..
Come on out. We can throw a jug on the cabinet center drawer to practice up first before the next LRSU event. Usually about 2.25 hrs from me to the northsprings shooting range where they do the milk judge challenge.

Reactions: adubeau
Hi,

Sounds like some of you may need to go to the next E2k yard Competition that Alex Wheeler puts on.

View attachment 7717144

Sincerely,
Theis
Theis,
My google skills must not be up to snuff. What rifle, caliber, etc was Tom using when he set this?
edit - I believe this is a pic of target 2000 yard picture

Tom Mousel -- 338-Improved with 300gr Berger Hybrids, built by Wheeler Accuracy
discussion of WR

I also saw this on another site (see below)... is this correct? wow, crazy how much variance at 2K can cause
.BC variance
Say you have 2 same make of bullets, one with a .600-BC, and one with a .601-BC
Both shot at a muzzle velocity of 2900-fps
The vertical POI variance one could expect:
0.0001" at 100-yds
0.004" at 300-yds
0.045" at 600-yds
0.306" at 1000-yds
1.834" at 1500-yds
9.232" at 2000-yds

Again, but with .005-BC variation (.600-BC verses .605-BC):
0.0007" at 100-yds
0.022" at 300-yds
0.224" at 600-yds
1.512" at 1000-yds
9.053" at 1500-yds
45.35" at 2000-yds

Last edited:
Walking in 30 shots for a 10” group is not a 10” group
Was that directed at me, since I am the only person that said they had shot a 10" group? I can assure you this was not the case. It was at a LRSU milk jug challenge a couple years ago. Plenty of witnesses. It was 3 consecutive shots. I have the backer.

Reactions: SDBguy95 and brianf
Was that directed at me, since I am the only person that said they had shot a 10" group? I can assure you this was not the case. It was at a LRSU milk jug challenge a couple years ago. Plenty of witnesses. It was 3 consecutive shots. I have the backer.
Not at anyone in particular

just in general people think lobbing brass at a plate and after 10 min they finally get in and “record a group”

it takes away from guys like you etc

Reactions: Speed
Was it a quart or a pint ?

I say a 3 shot group at 1 mile that is half moa is exceptional. You cannot tighten a 3 shot group at any distance. At 1 mile, conditions play harder than the shooter or the rifle, firing the extra 2 shots unless to fill the void just doesn't make sense here.
You could have a 4" group going 4 shots in, that 5th one may make it moa and you had no control over it whatsoever, but guess what, it needs to be counted.

Reactions: J McGriddle
At 1 mile at least where I shoot each day is different with the wind not if it's blowing but how much and from what direction. How much it switches and is it swirling or the ridge into bowl very hard to read at times. Some days on man size gongs I go 5 for 10 some days 0 for 10 depending on conditions. When I got certified at 1 mile I had wind from 15 to 25 mph gusts to straight very hard and went 4-10. 1 mile isn't easy but it does get easier the more you do it.

I dont have much experience past 1250 yards. So what is an exceptionally good 5 shot group at 1760?
I believe it greatly depends on caliber, conditions etc. Someone shooting a big elr monster with pills supersonic all the way to target out west at 6k ft above sea level vs someone say shooting a 6.5 at sea level.....really big dif in potential of groups. Just have fun with it no matter what ya do! There is a guy where I shoot who popped a 5 shot group at a mile with his 6.5x47/136g Scenars that was the size of a volleyball. Trigger pull conditions at sun up....dude is a shooting mofo. I've seen his groups at 2k with 6.5 shooting SMK 142s which were under 12". It's fun to see that b/c it challenges me to work harder and really needle in on the details like he does b/c it's possible, but really difficult which I like. He is a wealth of information to be around crazy smart and fun.

I believe it greatly depends on caliber, conditions etc. Someone shooting a big elr monster with pills supersonic all the way to target out west at 6k ft above sea level vs someone say shooting a 6.5 at sea level.....really big dif in potential of groups. Just have fun with it no matter what ya do! There is a guy where I shoot who popped a 5 shot group at a mile with his 6.5x47/136g Scenars that was the size of a volleyball. Trigger pull conditions at sun up....dude is a shooting mofo. I've seen his groups at 2k with 6.5 shooting SMK 142s which were under 12". It's fun to see that b/c it challenges me to work harder and really needle in on the details like he does b/c it's possible, but really difficult which I like. He is a wealth of information to be around crazy smart and fun.
If he can do that consistently (which it sounds like he can), he's definitely in the elite camp of shooters. That's impressive

sweet, what powder and load are you using to achieve these numbers?
Enquiring minds want to know :)

That was posted back in October 2021. I went to a 6GT for 2022. Going off memory it was RL16 in Peterson brass 42.4 or 42.6 grains. I do not recall the COAL or jump and the barrel was an X-caliber 1-8 twist finished at 28"

There is likely some info posted in either the 6.5 CM thread or the Berger 144 thread. That was a warm load too, so proceed with caution.

Edit to add I found a post in the 144 thread from 2020 and the Bartlien barrel I was running, also 28" and it was .025 jump 42 of RL16 at 2866.

Last edited:
Reactions: babyguppy