• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

what is the best single stage press on the market

Re: what is the best single stage press on the market

There are about 100 threads on this. It comes down to 2.

Redding T7 and the CoAx.

I went with the T7, but others love their CoAxs, either will let you make great ammo.

Different strokes for different folks. There is nothing wrong with the Rock Chucker press. I have 3 of them. Will most likely out last me for sure.

I have a RCBC RockChucker that I bought in 1972. It was my main press for at least 25 years. It still does 90% of what I do on a single stage press. I have had NO problems as far as the press goes. I have made some stupid mistakes that damaged cases and dies alike. But they weren't the fault of the press. Knowing now the kind of press it is, I would do the same thing.

Redding wasn't making the T7 when I started. But it's a very good press. I believe for precision loads, Redding dies have NO equal.

RCBS, Hornady, Lyman as well as other dies will make good loads. Just in my opinion Redding dies are machined to closer tolerances and usually have a better machined finish. Being a retired tool & die maker that means a lot to me.

If you are a beginner reloader buy a Lyman's Centerfire Handloading manual and read the safety parts twice. Again, in my opinion it has more USABLE information than any 2 or 3 others. It lists more powder & bullet choices. Including cast bullet information.

But it's your money and your choices.

Good luck in your choices.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am leaning toward a rockchucker. is there a diffrent way i should lean </div></div>

It all depends on your budget.

The Redding T-7 is actually a turret press which uses a seven station/hole platter that rotates. It's still a single stage press, but it's 7 times more flexible.

Lyman makes one just like it, but spend the extra cash on the Redding, as one fellow on the 'net did precise measurements on both the Redding and the Lyman turrets and the tolerances were just worlds better on the Redding.

As Jason says, the Forster CoAx is a great press in a non-traditional package.

Go the Rock Chucker Supreme if you're going to go RCBS.

Me, I use a Dillon 550b and for rifle cartridges, I use it as a single stage press, but when I want to crank out pistol or blasting ammo, I have the flexibility to produce larger quantities.

I might pick up a single stage this month, just to do some other chores like decapping, or whatnot and I'll look to the Lee Classic Cast Iron 'O' frame SS press. For about $80, it's a good deal cheaper than the others and appears to be well built, which is something you can't say about all Lee presses.

Hornady makes one too, that looks on par with the Rock Chucker Supreme, but I'm going low budget. One needs shell holders and such, so the price would be more than just the press.

I'm a Redding fan and you'll no doubt pay more for their T-7, but it is pretty flexible, absent going progressives.

Chris

CG, I have a Lee "C" type press, it works fine for decapping and is plenty cheap. Works good for anything that doesn't require alot of leverage. Mount it on a Board and clamp it to the bench when needed. You will need a hole in the board under the press to remove spent primers as they are collected in the hollow base of the body. Or un-mount it from the board when it's full.

ive been reloading for a couple years now. the reason i ask this is i bought a lee classic kit to get me started. ive been slowly upgrading some of the stuff and the press is next on my list. i wanted to make sure i liked reloading before dropping alot of money on the good stuff. through reloading ive defintally come to believe the saying "buy once cry once"

i think i "upgraded" scales 3 times before just buying a expensive good one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CG, I have a Lee "C" type press, it works fine for decapping and is plenty cheap. Works good for anything that doesn't require alot of leverage. Mount it on a Board and clamp it to the bench when needed. You will need a hole in the board under the press to remove spent primers as they are collected in the hollow base of the body. Or un-mount it from the board when it's full. </div></div>

Their Classic Cast 'O' frame press seems to be more robustly built than many of their other presses. It's large enough to do the largest magnums and has a stronger linkage from all the pictures I've stared at.

42769vette:

"ive been reloading for a couple years now. the reason i ask this is i bought a lee classic kit to get me started. ive been slowly upgrading some of the stuff and the press is next on my list. i wanted to make sure i liked reloading before dropping alot of money on the good stuff. through reloading ive defintally come to believe the saying "buy once cry once"

i think i "upgraded" scales 3 times before just buying a expensive good one"

If I had the extra scratch and I really don't need a SS, as my Dillon works fine, I'd probably go a Redding Big Boss, or Rock Chucker Supreme, but at a minimum of $40 more, I'm going low budget if I decide to get one. Mostly, I want one so I can deprime and keep the Dillon a bit cleaner and because I just want to fiddle with one!

I reload the 338LM and the Lee CC press is large enough for that caliber.

If you're not going to go progressive, that Redding Turret T-7 will allow you to stuff 7 dies in one platter and just rotate through your steps. You can probably get two calibers on each platter. The only problem I see is one of 'focus'. You'll have to be paying attention if you go this route, so as not to put a .357mag station over say a .40 S/W case/seated bullet. Or .223 over a .308.

The Forster CoAx is a great press and I've read of many precision shooters using this here on SnipersHide, so don't get me wrong. It's probalby a tad slower, but if you're not looking to load a thousand rounds in two hours, it's a worthy candidate.

I started reloading with my Dillon and honestly, it makes pretty accurate ammo and it can crank them out with the best of them. Your start up cost is more, but 15 years later, it still functions like a charm.

Chris

i really have no desire togo progressive or turrent. the only thing i reload for are my precision rifles so im in no hurry accuracy is much more improtant than time spend to me.

i just buy my pistol ammo so i dont need alot of production

Has anyone bought three or four of the Lee Classic cast iron (or other SS) presses and lined them up in a row so they can go from one stage to the next without changing dies?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone bought three or four of the Lee Classic cast iron (or other SS) presses and lined them up in a row so they can go from one stage to the next without changing dies? </div></div>

No, but I got the Hornady Lock-n-Load bushings (much cheaper than an additional press) and am quite pleased with the ease of die changes and accuracy. Add a couple of witness marks to ensure the buggers don't move and proceed merrily.

For the money I find the Redding Big Boss II to be exceptional, Lee's Classic Cast is a close second. I would invite you to look at the method each press uses to capture spent primers as a significant factor. In general just about all "O" frame presses achieve the same goal, the ergonomics and the features are the deciding factors. I don't like chasing spent primers all over the place.

Cheers,

Doc

Re: what is the best single stage press on the mar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am leaning toward a Rockchucker. Is there a different way I should lean? </div></div>
In O-frame presses, I suggest that Redding makes a more satisfactory product in their <span style="font-style: italic">Bosses</span>. Choose the size that better suits your needs. The earlier RockChuckers were very good presses, but the current product doesn't compare well.

I just set up my bench with a big boss II, I have worked with a earlier rockchucker and one of the smaller RCBS presses, pardner maybe? Anywho the feel and features of the Redding press are much nicer than the RCBS presses, the spent primer tube is a very nice addiction. Ive only run about 100 pieces of brass through mine but I think I will be very happy for a long time.

I have the Rockchucker for at least 15 years still going strong. I am still using the uniflow and the 505 scale that came with it. Seems its the only component you can buy. No varget no win 231 no CCI BR primers available. Had to score some Magtech small pistol primer just to get by. Shitty price on top of it. Never heard of Magtech before.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc76251</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone bought three or four of the Lee Classic cast iron (or other SS) presses and lined them up in a row so they can go from one stage to the next without changing dies? </div></div>

No, but I got the Hornady Lock-n-Load bushings (much cheaper than an additional press) and am quite pleased with the ease of die changes and accuracy. Add a couple of witness marks to ensure the buggers don't move and proceed merrily.

For the money I find the Redding Big Boss II to be exceptional, Lee's Classic Cast is a close second. I would invite you to look at the method each press uses to capture spent primers as a significant factor. In general just about all "O" frame presses achieve the same goal, the ergonomics and the features are the deciding factors. I don't like chasing spent primers all over the place.

Cheers,

Doc </div></div>

Doc, I've had the BBII on my short list. I assume it can handle all bullet sizes in .338 LM, but not even close on 50BMG right? I would kind of like one SS press for everything, if possible. Thanks.

The ONLY non single stage press Sinclair will go with is a Redding. Given their rep a Redding turret with extra turrets might be the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FLHX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Rockchucker for at least 15 years still going strong. I am still using the uniflow and the 505 scale that came with it. Seems its the only component you can buy. No varget no win 231 no CCI BR primers available. Had to score some Magtech small pistol primer just to get by. Shitty price on top of it. Never heard of Magtech before. </div></div>

Don't hold me to it, but Magtech is the commercial wing of Brazil's big military small arms conglomerate. They make a shitload of ammo and apparently have a good reputation from the small amount of articles I've read.

I have some CBC brass which is Magtech, for pistols and it seems to be decent enough.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonnyG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW lee classic will do 50 bmg AND smaller with the spent primers being sent through the bottom of the ram. </div></div>

I'm proud to coax your second post in almost five years out of you Donny!

While I agree I have over 2K in reloading items like Dillons, acculab scales, Giraud trimmer, redding powder measures and still use my 30 year old single stage for 80% of reloading it cost me $26.00 at a garage sale

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are about 100 threads on this. It comes down to 2.

Redding T7 and the CoAx.

I went with the T7, but others love their CoAxs, either will let you make great ammo. </div></div>

I have never once seen a post where somebody was sorry they bought a Co-Ax, but I have read more than once somebody was sorry he didn't buy one first or sooner.

Redding Big Boss. Mine was made before the Big Boss II with it's spent primer collection system. Before that, I had a Hornady 007 for many years. When I needed parts for my 007, I found out that Hornady doesn't warranty their presses for more than a year or so. Redding has a real lifetime warranty, so instead of giving Hornady $90.00 (really) for parts to repair the 007, I added another $35.00 + tax & bought one I won't have to spend money on again.I've had it for 3 years now & would buy another one without hesitation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DonnyG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW lee classic will do 50 bmg AND smaller with the spent primers being sent through the bottom of the ram. </div></div>

I'm proud to coax your second post in almost five years out of you Donny! </div></div>

What he said! I have not gotten into reloading or driving horse cartridges yet. I would be inclined to spend the duckets on something that would handle them SPECIFICALLY were I driving a rifle that shot $5 or $10 bills.

JMHO, YRMV etc etc...

Cheers,

Doc

Rockchucker purchased in 1979, I think. Not sure if you can break one, mine is still going strong. Just be carefull not to drop it on your foot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm waiting until Dillon busts out with a $1000 single-stage press (their 50BMG press). </div></div>
CH4D reportedly has one. The picture looked nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rockchucker purchased in 1979, I think. Not sure if you can break one, mine is still going strong. Just be carefull not to drop it on your foot. </div></div>

I broke my rockchucker ~ 8 years ago.

BrokenRCBSRockchuckerpress.jpg

I put an 8x57mm Lee Collet die in the press. I put a case in the shell holder. I applied 100 pounds of force to the knob on the end of the press handle. The main casting broke. That is because I did not adjust the die per the instructions. As the press toggles over top dead center, the leverage becomes infinite. The forces are only limited by friction and breaking the press.

The main frame of the RCBS rockchucker takes a pin horizontally and a ram vertically. The pin bends and breaks off the outboard support for the pin.

I called RCBS, and they said to send back the frame. They sent me a new whole press [Even though everything was my fault].

A year or two later, the castings from RCBS started looking a little bigger around where mine broke.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't use the rockchucker press or partner press or lee handloader press or lyman American press or Dillion 550B press.
Now I just use a Forster Co ax. The others gather dust.
I have a second co ax on the way.

Mine is 30 plus years old no issues at all??
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rockchucker purchased in 1979, I think. Not sure if you can break one, mine is still going strong. Just be carefull not to drop it on your foot. </div></div>

I broke my rockchucker ~ 8 years ago.

BrokenRCBSRockchuckerpress.jpg

I put an 8x57mm Lee Collet die in the press. I put a case in the shell holder. I applied 100 pounds of force to the knob on the end of the press handle. The main casting broke. That is because I did not adjust the die per the instructions. As the press toggles over top dead center, the leverage becomes infinite. The forces are only limited by friction and breaking the press.

The main frame of the RCBS rockchucker takes a pin horizontally and a ram vertically. The pin bends and breaks off the outboard support for the pin.

I called RCBS, and they said to send back the frame. They sent me a new whole press [Even though everything was my fault].

A year or two later, the castings from RCBS started looking a little bigger around where mine broke.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I don't use the rockchucker press or partner press or lee handloader press or lyman American press or Dillion 550B press.
Now I just use a Forster Co ax. The others gather dust.
I have a second co ax on the way. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never known of anyone that was unsatisfied with RCBS customer service.

okie </div></div>

The women that answer the phone at RCBS give great telephone.
"You broke your decapping pin! I'm so sorry. Let me send you and handful of replacement pins."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rockchucker purchased in 1979, I think. Not sure if you can break one, mine is still going strong. Just be carefull not to drop it on your foot. </div></div>

RCs can be broken, have been broken, ditto everything else. Nothing is <span style="text-decoration: underline">really</span> fool-proof, is it?

RCBS has great support. I have one of their bench mounted priming tools. When I was putting it together one of the springs shot off and ended up in another dimension never to be seen again. I told RCBS the story and that I'd like to buy a replacement and they sent me an additional priming rod assembly pack with extra parts for free. They probably knew I was bound to loose something else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Halfnutz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 338LM, yeah I would skip the C frame Lee. </div></div>
338LM full length sizing on a C frame is a no go. I broke a piece on mine trying. I just bought a Rockchucker Supreme. Magnum brass requires extra leverage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can fl 338 on a Co-Ax and a Co-Ax has mucho more mechanical advantage than a RockChucker </div></div>

427, I was told that only newer Co-Ax's are fl 338 capable. Is that right?

okie

Yes the B3 can do 338LM, you'll need to buy a new set of jaws, I use the small side of the supplied jars for .223 and .308, works great and no shell holders to buy/keep track of.

Redding Co-Ax. I used a Hornady for years much the same press as the Rockchuker. Once starting using the co-ax you will be sold immediately. Plus the press eliminates the need for shell holders. The way the press is set up also free floats bullet seating and eliminates bind and misalighnment.The only draw back is changing the shell holder from small base to large base.I own two.

I have 2 Rockchuckers, no problems with them so far. I have a friend that has a Redding T7 and he loves it as well. I Guess if I had a T7 I wouldnt need 2 rockchuckers. Are there any disadvantages to turret head press, are they as consistant as single stage presses.