• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What is the best why to make Ackley brass for a 223

rockier

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2014
Las Vegas, NV
I am making a 223 with an AI chamber and wanted to know if I need to buy the AI dies and reform the brass to the die or take regular 223 brass and just fire it in the gun?

I think I would need the dies anyway to make sure the brass will fit in the chamber after firing.

Would I be right here?

You will need AI dies to reload the brass after firing, but running .223 through .223AI dies before fireforming won't do anything. Load as normal for .223 (or use cream of wheat), fire, then run through .223 AI die.

You can just fire a standard 223 in the Ackley chamber. If you want to save components and barrel life, you can use the COW (cream of wheat) method to form the body and shoulders.

What is the (cream of wheat) method?

Thanks for all the great info here. I will get a FL die but was just wanting to know how to start off.
I did not see any 223 Ackley brass for sale.

I have always just fired 223 loads in my 223AI rifles to form brass instead of using CoW. You will be surprised at how accurate it will be during fire forming. My 20" 223AI can produce same velocity as my 26" 223 bolt using same powder and bullet. Only issue I have had was getting the AI to feed from magazine.

I have always just fired 223 loads in my 223AI rifles to form brass instead of using CoW. You will be surprised at how accurate it will be during fire forming. My 20" 223AI can produce same velocity as my 26" 223 bolt using same powder and bullet. Only issue I have had was getting the AI to feed from magazine.

Thanks for the info.
Hay I like your little guy. Here is the one I use for me e-mails.
....,\\\|///,
...*| # # |*
oo0---(_)---0oo

Just fire factory loads or your hand loads (do not use a reduced charges) through the gun to fireform your brass. You may be surprised how accurate these can be.

Also, fire forming the .223 AI is very easy from standard .223 rounds because all your really doing is changing the shoulder angle; not blowing it forward like some other AI cartridges.

I'm about to build an AR15 in .223 AI so I can get some brass formed pretty quickly. Figured it would also be fun to shoot at multigun matches to leave funny cases laying around for the brass scavengers.

I'm about to build an AR15 in .223 AI so I can get some brass formed pretty quickly. Figured it would also be fun to shoot at multigun matches to leave funny cases laying around for the brass scavengers.

This is actually a very good idea!! I've got just the barrel waiting for a good purpose anyway

That's actually a pretty good idea. Who cares if it feeds AI, you're just fireforming. Might have to look for a cheap unlined barrel...

I've already built one of them and it feeds Ackleys just fine. Green Mountain sells cheap blanks that seem to shoot pretty well.
Re-chambering an existing barrel seemed like it would be a pain since you need to shorten the existing barrel 1/8" or so to get a good AI chamber. That means removing the barrel extension and moving the gas port.

What is the best why to make Ackley brass for a 223

Either that or calling Kreiger or one if the other custom barrel makers up and getting a nice barrel with a short chamber.